C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

clutch install on 94

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2006, 08:48 AM
JACKSBLK94
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clutch install on 94

how big of a job is it to install a new clutch? A local shop will do the job for 1200 bucks, all with orginal gm parts and serface the fylwheel? What do you think? I would like to do it myself, but it would my first one.
Old 07-09-2006, 09:59 AM
sraft
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Beware of anyone telling you that they will resurface the ZF-40's dual mass flywheel. It's a 2 part design that's not meant to be resurfaced. The two halves have torsional springs and ball bearings between them. I suppose that if a shop took the effort to create a custom setup, they might be able to refurface one, but more likely (especially at the price they quoted you) they'll probably attempt to resurface it like a conventional flywheel and f*^k it up.

do a forum search - you'll find many more dual mass resurfacing horror stories compared to successes.
Old 07-09-2006, 10:00 AM
chb88
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JACKSBLK94
how big of a job is it to install a new clutch? A local shop will do the job for 1200 bucks, all with orginal gm parts and serface the fylwheel? What do you think? I would like to do it myself, but it would my first one.
Be carful, if your clutch is the orginal then it has a dual mass flywheel and that can not be resurfaced. A new flywheel is in the $700 to 800.
As far as how much work, its many happy hours, but not all to bad. The hard parts are getting at the upper bell housing bolts, but thats what they invented long extensions and universal joints for. The other tricky part is getting the trans aligned to slide it back in, not impossible but it helps to have an assistant. The OEM clutch is about $300 so $1200 including parts is not so bad. Just make sure to replace the pilot bushing with a flutted one or a roller bearing. When I did mine it came with a solid bronze bushing, no flutes, and now it growns when the clutch pedal is applied.

Get notified of new replies

To clutch install on 94

Quick Reply: clutch install on 94