C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

New Guy! 106mm turbo Corvette

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2006, 11:23 PM
106mm
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TONYDEE64
Not ALWAYS!!! So you're a "glass is half-empty" kind of guy? If you drop a valve TonyDee Enterprises will purchase a new valve for you.. no problem... now GET OUT THERE and do it!!!!
You are officially a bad influence! lol
Old 07-07-2006, 09:08 AM
TONYDEE64
Drifting

Originally Posted by 106mm
I like to think of myself more as a motivational influence!! Positive or negative I'm not sure... You have to admit, It would be fun to see that monster tear up the competition!!! BTW, how many lbs. of boost do you run to make that kind of power? Turbos are amazing. My next project is going to be a twin turbo something....
Old 07-07-2006, 09:58 AM
SurfnSun
Team Owner

Received 522 Likes on 342 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Youve officially met TonyDee....hes the guy who tries to get the ZR1 guys to dump their motors in favor of turbo charged Civic 4 bangers

:

Last edited by SurfnSun; 07-07-2006 at 10:03 AM.
Old 07-07-2006, 10:54 AM
TONYDEE64
Drifting

Originally Posted by SurfnSun
Youve officially met TonyDee....hes the guy who tries to get the ZR1 guys to dump their motors in favor of turbo charged Civic 4 bangers

:
Oh no... please don't get me started on the ZR1 crowd, you know that's a sensitive nerve for me...
Old 07-07-2006, 11:16 AM
106mm
Instructor

BTW, how many lbs. of boost do you run to make that kind of power?
28 when set on "kill". Usually 14-16 pounds will get a very low 8 or very high 7.
I've honestly never been a big fan of LT5 engines, either. They are beautiful cars and the engines look great, but it always seemed like a lot of cams and valves for not much HP.
ONCE AGAIN: I LOVE THE CARS, but I would rather have a new Z06.
I hope I don't have a group of ZR1 owners coming after me now!
Old 07-07-2006, 12:53 PM
TONYDEE64
Drifting

28 when set on "kill". Usually 14-16 pounds will get a very low 8 or very high 7.
I've honestly never been a big fan of LT5 engines, either. They are beautiful cars and the engines look great, but it always seemed like a lot of cams and valves for not much HP.
ONCE AGAIN: I LOVE THE CARS, but I would rather have a new Z06.
I hope I don't have a group of ZR1 owners coming after me now!
I've got some news for you, if you ever say anything about the ZR1/LT5 that is not godlike in praise, those dudes will hate you (except for Dwight and a few others who are cool). They kind of remind me of that song by Bowling for Soup, "1985", except the tune would use the term "early 1990s". They just can't come to grips that this engine is old news. I used to have a ZR1 and LOVED that car!! BUT, I saw the writing on the wall when the LT1/LT4s came out with over 300hp. I knew the end was near for the vaunted LT5. I sold it at a slight profit...Today I would take an absolute bath if I still had it. A great car for the time for sure, unfortuntely, time marches on and waits for no man.. It's the dawn of a new day where horsepower is cheap and you don't need all of that hocus-pocus-jamocus (cams and multiple valves) to get there. Thanks for picking that wound, now wer'e both in the doghouse. Unfortunately I've never been real good at holding my tongue (it's quite slippery) even when it serves me best.

Now back to our regularly scheduled discussion. Nice turbo car you have there.

TonyDee
Old 07-07-2006, 02:25 PM
106mm
Instructor

if you ever say anything about the ZR1/LT5 that is not godlike in praise, those dudes will hate you. Thanks for picking that wound, now wer'e both in the doghouse.
I hope I don't have a contract out on my life now!
Old 07-07-2006, 04:57 PM
yedister
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Trust me, I'm not afraid to spend some bucks on racing. Usually there is a payout, though. When the car wins, some of the money is returned. The car has made a profit drag racing the last three years. I'm just saying that I don't want to sacrifice a very expensive drivetrain so I can get a picture in Hot Rod. Know what I mean?
What type a transmission and gear retio are you running? Can you lower your boost level for street driving? With the F.A.S.T. engine management system you should be able to have different profiles for the car. If you can test and tune a setup for the street, maybe you could have a track profile and a street profile. The problem you might have would be with your rearend gears / transmission gear combination.
This Drag Week could generate business if / when you have a dual purpose ride. (Have cake and eat it too under 7 seconds)
yedi

Drag Week http://www.hotrod.com/dragweek/113_d...on/index4.html
Old 07-07-2006, 06:10 PM
jburnett
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hah! He hasn't met me, yet!!!

Nice car BTW...I saw that car run at a couple of Outlaw events a year or so ago, it's nice. That's about the size turbo I'll run when I tire of the bottle-fed combination... Or twin 88's...Haven't quite decided; considering what my cylinder heads flow it/they will need to have a pretty prodigious compressor map!
-Jeb
Old 07-07-2006, 08:29 PM
TONYDEE64
Drifting

I hope I don't have a contract out on my life now!
Nah, don't worry. Most of them are too busy off rubbing their rides with a diaper or wishing they had a new viper to bother with us.. (j/k guys... come on now, we're all friends here....right?)
Old 07-07-2006, 09:00 PM
106mm
Instructor

Originally Posted by yedister
What type a transmission and gear retio are you running? Can you lower your boost level for street driving? With the F.A.S.T. engine management system you should be able to have different profiles for the car.
It's a Dedenbear Glide with BTE planetaries and a Neal Chance converter. The rear gear is a 4.10 and the tires are 32 inches tall. With the high MPH passes, it needs a pretty low gear (numerically). You're right, the car has a tune for pump gas and can run high 7s in that configuration.
Old 07-07-2006, 09:02 PM
106mm
Instructor

Originally Posted by jburnett
That's about the size turbo I'll run when I tire of the bottle-fed combination... Or twin 88's...
There are LOTS of twin 88 combos out there these days. They work very well. I almost went that route with my last car.
Old 07-07-2006, 09:36 PM
vette_tweak
Racer

wicked car... Is this car the quickest street legal C4 on the planet? ( drag...not top speed )

If a faster C4 exists, post it up!

Of course mine will be faster after I install a 137mm turbo on the 454CID SB2 motor I intend to purchase someday

Old 07-07-2006, 10:44 PM
lcvette
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I gotta say... I love the LT5.. i think it makes a hell of a platform to build on... lack of aftermarket parts and the price of those parts is a big kick in th nuts, but otherwise.. i would like to have one of thos emotors to play with and see what I could put together with it.. the high RPM capability with ultra smooth idle and driveability is very attractive and I think a stroked and bored setup with a nice single 88mm turbo would make for one sweet street car.. it would give the high revving supra guys an absolute fit all the while be completely driveable and docile to boot.

I have been looking at the Arao 32v SBC cylinder heads in the 18* version for the last few months.. money is tight right now after the last turbo project, but I am thinking of going with a little m block and a 406 or 421ci short block and slapping a set of these heads on top with a 91mm turbo... but thats a ways off and I am still working kinks out of the 96 LT4 CE single turbo car, and have some parts on the way for the 95 blown car (8-rib drive system) and still have the ole solid roller polo 96 I need to get dialed in.. too many projects going on. it never ends.. its a sickness, and addiction... whats wrong with us?

Chris
Old 07-07-2006, 10:58 PM
106mm
Instructor

Does anyone remember the 0-150-0 shootout a few years ago that featured a 415 CI stroker ZR1? It spanked everyone else's cars, including a Hennessey (sp?) Viper, a couple of Cobras, etc.
Old 07-08-2006, 05:17 AM
iNeedMoney
Advanced

Thanks again for all of the compliments! I live in the Dayton, Ohio area. I have a shop that does performance work on late-model Corvettes primarily. I won't go into a large sales pitch here, I'll just say that it's www.quickrev.com. My partner's car is a 1999 FRC Corvette that recently made 730 RWHP on pump gas. His is capable of being driven cross country. We love this stuff!
I'll hopefully have some 1/4 mile videos of my car soon. I have a lot of work to do to the car to make it the way I want it.
welcome awesome car makes me wish i lived back in Ohio just to see it lol
Old 07-08-2006, 12:44 PM
1070ryan
Advanced

Default All I have to say is...

Whoah!!! I never knew that a corvette could pull those kinda numbers and still be street legal. Do you run street legal tires on the track? If not, what do you think you would be running with the tires you ride on the street with cause most street legal tires can barely handle around 600 hp.. and you've got 2400!!

Get notified of new replies

To New Guy! 106mm turbo Corvette

Old 07-08-2006, 12:57 PM
106mm
Instructor

Originally Posted by 1070ryan
Do you run street legal tires on the track? If not, what do you think you would be running with the tires you ride on the street
I have a set of 10.5W slicks, a set of 32x16.5 slicks and a set of ET Streets. When different classes require particular tires, I just change them. I don't own any drag radials.
I'm quite sure that if I tried to run with a typical radial it would be very messy! The car has been on the wheelie bars and spinning to the 1000 foot mark before. It's a very wild ride.
Old 07-08-2006, 02:57 PM
V-twin 63
8th Gear

Wow that is an awsome car. I sent a video of it to a friend I work with that always wants to race my 84 crossfire vett. Just becouse he thinks all 84's are slow. I was going to surprise him someday by stroking mine to a 383, put my dart Pro 1 heads 200cc intake runnes, 64cc combustion chamber on it with a roller, hydrolic cam, lifters and rockers. Also a X-ram manifold with bigger throttle bodies on so it would look stock. I think I could beat his 2000 SS camoro on gas then. Since your into performance have you or any one else herd of the X-ram replacement manifold for the crossfire manifold and how well they work?

again congrats on the awsome car, mabee someday I can go turbo. Them videos had me dreaming big time.
Old 07-08-2006, 06:18 PM
106mm
Instructor

Originally Posted by V-twin 63
Since your into performance have you or any one else herd of the X-ram replacement manifold for the crossfire manifold and how well they work?
Again, thanks for the kind words! I don't know much about the X-ram manifold you mentioned. My car looks like a 1984 Corvette, but that's about as far as it goes. The engine is based on an Olds style Rocket block (401 CI) with 18 degree heads, Hogan's sheet metal tunnel ram, etc. You get the idea.
I had a stock 1984 coupe a couple of years ago and it was a truly great car. It wasn't the fastest Corvette ever, but mine ran flawlessly every day I owned it.
I hope you get your turbo one day soon!

Quick Reply: New Guy! 106mm turbo Corvette