C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

How to repaint windshield trim?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2006, 02:02 PM
dwestsr
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How to repaint windshield trim?

The wiper adjustment for my 86 coupe got off so that the driver's side wiper kept hitting the windshield trim and wore off the black coating. I have fixed the wiper adjustment , but how to recoat the black? The underlying metal looks like crap. Has anyone ever re- coated or repainted the trim? Or must I look at replacing the trim piece?
Old 06-20-2006, 02:09 PM
GS348
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Me too....

Mine just started doing the same thing.......advice would be great.
Old 06-20-2006, 02:13 PM
RRT vette
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I did mine a few weeks back. My windshield trim and targa top trim paint had become chipped and looked ratty. I got some low grit sand paper and sanded the old paint off and finished with high grit so you wouldn't see the scuffs. I cleaned it with paint remover and rubbing alcohol. I purchased trim paint at Walmart or either Autozone. Used newspaper and masking tape and covered all the windshield and surrounding paint. I used the whole can on the trim pieces and it looks new. It took about 2-3 hrs to do it all.
Old 06-20-2006, 02:34 PM
GS348
Burning Brakes

Default Great...

Good advice, that's the avenue I was thinking about...
Old 06-20-2006, 03:45 PM
dwestsr
Pro

Originally Posted by RRT vette
I did mine a few weeks back. My windshield trim and targa top trim paint had become chipped and looked ratty. I got some low grit sand paper and sanded the old paint off and finished with high grit so you wouldn't see the scuffs. I cleaned it with paint remover and rubbing alcohol. I purchased trim paint at Walmart or either Autozone. Used newspaper and masking tape and covered all the windshield and surrounding paint. I used the whole can on the trim pieces and it looks new. It took about 2-3 hrs to do it all.
Thanks, I will give it a try!
Old 06-20-2006, 08:00 PM
dmorris
Instructor

I haven't used it on my vette, but I've used the black rubberized bumper spray paint on several cars window trim. The finish is spot on and it lasts much longer than other sprays that I've used.
Old 06-20-2006, 08:05 PM
CAP94
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks, I'll give it a try!
Old 06-21-2006, 01:45 AM
C4DC
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

I have used BBQ black on most of my trim and door handles and it is holding up very well. Just need to take the time to clean/sand/tape well to get a great looking finished product. The sheen looks like stock trim with conditioner on it.
Old 06-21-2006, 06:12 AM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 703 Likes on 590 Posts

... from my c3 days, krylon semi-flat black (or is it semi-gloss - ???) is a dead knock-off for most black-out trim on corvettes. i've been using it for almost 20 years. i've used it for chassis black (c3/c4), under-hood black out (c3/c4), windshield trim (c3/c4), instrument and console trim (c3), etc. hope this helps -
Old 06-21-2006, 09:11 AM
kalister1
Drifting

When you paint it get yourself some of those 99 cent plastic painters drop cloth's. Paint will wick through newspaper if you spray it out thick enough. Use the cheap drop cloth's to cover the entire car, over spray will find a way to get on everything.
Old 06-21-2006, 09:30 AM
zoro
Pro

Originally Posted by Joe C
... from my c3 days, krylon semi-flat black (or is it semi-gloss - ???) is a dead knock-off for most black-out trim on corvettes. i've been using it for almost 20 years. i've used it for chassis black (c3/c4), under-hood black out (c3/c4), windshield trim (c3/c4), instrument and console trim (c3), etc. hope this helps -
good to know
Old 07-26-2006, 09:16 PM
shilly
Instructor

I just finished my windshield trim and I even repainted the doors handles on my 1986 vette. Prep: 1 hour, Paint 15 minutes
This is what I did

1. Bought at Walmart, 400 emory paper- $2, rustoleum semi gloss paint- $4, 2 plastic drop clothes- $2, roll of "14 day" easy remove painters masking tape - $3. Total $11
2. Took the 400 paper and gently rubbed the trim so it was smooth. Wiped down with clean slightly moist towel, then again with dry towel.
3. placed tape all around the windshield so it was touching the trim and the car. I then took a flat head screw driver and shoved the tape in the crack between the trim and the windshield. Did this all around, top and bottom of trim.
4. I placed tape all around door handle and a small piece over keyhole.
I then took a razor blade and cut around the keyhole. Placed my finger on the keyhole (with the tape on it) and gently pulled up. If you cut it right, the tape should lift off except the tape covering the keyhole.
5. I then took the drop clothes and tape and covered pretty much the entire car.
6. Sprayed the paint very thinly, wanted a few minutes and did it again. Looked for missed areas, and sprayed one final thin layer. I repeated for door handles.
7. Waited about 2 hours and carefully started peeling the tape away never letting the outer part of the tape touch the car (just in case paint was still a little wet)

Best $11 I have ever spent. The trim and handles look brand new. It is amazing how a little thing like that make such a big difference.
Old 07-26-2006, 10:03 PM
MikeC4
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

the only thing I would add to all the previous posts is to use grey sandable primer first. Primer has better adherance properties and you can buff out(emery cloth) any visual imperfections prior to painting....

Old 07-26-2006, 11:04 PM
mfi
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

And they make paint called satin trim paint.
Old 07-27-2006, 12:50 AM
ozvette87
Pro

ive done the same as RRT vette on some of my other cars.... it is simple and easy to do.
highly recommend this option.

Get notified of new replies

To How to repaint windshield trim?

Quick Reply: How to repaint windshield trim?