C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1985 700r4

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2006, 01:54 PM
MtlSphere
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Default 1985 700r4

I've been having some shifting problems lately. Everything was fine on my way to work. But when I got in the car to come home it wasn't shifting.

It was hanging in first too long and slamming into second. No shift into third at all. When I let off the throttle it sounds and feel like it's in nuetral. Until I pick up the throttle again then still in second.

The only other issue has been when getting on the interstate. Like many I hammer it on the on ramp. But lately it would shift fine 1-2, but 2-3 it would over rev like a missed shift. I'd left off the throttle it would shift and I would hammer it again and all was well. In town driving was fine.

So, I decided to change the fluid and filter. The fluid looked and smelled fine. Good color no burnt odor. There was some residue in the pan but no parts or metal.

I'm thinking it's a govenor issue and I'm about to go change it with one I got from a forum member. But while I was inside the pan I noticed a two terminal switch on the front of the valvebody without any wires attached to it. Now that can't be right, can it?

Mtl
Old 06-12-2006, 10:11 PM
Fasterer
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sounds like my 85 whaen the tv cable was wrong. I thought it was the cold and kept driving throught the miss shift problems till i toasted the unit. TV cablle is adjusted up at plenum where throttle and tv and cruise come together on r/s.
Old 06-13-2006, 03:34 AM
sami85L98
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Its time a for a rebuilt looks like toasted and 3-4 clutch pack, lets see what pete k can do it.
Old 06-13-2006, 10:57 AM
MtlSphere
Pro

Thanks for the replies.

No the 3-4 clutch pack is not toast.

The TV valve was gummy. It was a messy job but easy enough to correct. Installing the new govenor didn't make any difference but the gear was pretty badly worn so I don't feel so bad.

After cleaning and reassembly along with 5 qts of new fluid, all is well.

Mtl
Old 07-28-2006, 10:50 PM
MtlSphere
Pro

All was well for all of about five minutes!

After cleaning the valve body and replacing the governor it still wasn't fixed. So, like usual when the Vette is giving me trouble I just park it and let it sit for a while.

Wednesday I got the itch to turn a wrench...

So, I jacked the car up (usually as high as the floor jack will go and stands!) and I was taking the oppurtunity to teach my son basic vehicle maintenance. We crawled under the car and I was just about to put the air ratchet on the first pan bolt when my son asks...

"Hey dad, what's this pigtail go to"?

My reply was "I dunno...see anything that looks like it might plug into"?

He says... "Yeah, here we go"...snap...

I say..."let's go for a ride"!

"Aren't we gonna work on the car"?

"I hope we're finished".

Sure enough...we put her back on the ground, fired her up and went for a tester...

Now all is definitley well. No burnt clutches, or broken bands, Just one loose wire connection. I love it when it's the simple stuff!

Old 07-31-2006, 09:51 AM
Yototimeage
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ahh Grasshopper, now the teacher has become the student. It sounds like your son deserves a dinner on dad!!!!

Get notified of new replies

To 1985 700r4

Quick Reply: 1985 700r4