C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

JUST COMPLETED MODS TO MY 86 (exhaust, gears and rear suspension bushings)

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2001, 11:50 PM
Cruz 86
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default JUST COMPLETED MODS TO MY 86 (exhaust, gears and rear suspension bushings)

Just finished putting it back together today and thought you guys might want to hear the results. The car is a stock 86 with the usual free mods (cut filter lid, throttle body bypass). Walker makes a high flow main cat that comes with a front y pipe without precats. The whole set-up costs about 150 bucks and the guys at catco said Walkers converter flows at least as good as theirs. Its also EPA legal. (2 1/4 inch to 3 inch at converter end-nice pipe-fit great) From there I went with the flowmaster cat back from summit. I also swapped out my 2.59 gears for 3.07s. (Although chevy didnt use a gasket on the dana 36 case, Felpro does make one and I used it. No leaks!Don't forget to change speedo gears.) I also took the advice some of you gave me and replaced the carrier and camber rod bushings with polyurthane from Energy suspension. Changing those rubber bushings made a HUGE difference in the way this car feels! It feels rock solid-no more wondering when it hits bumps-and the polyurthane did not seem to make the ride any rougher. The old bushings didnt look that bad either.(Only 60 K but 15 years old) I'm truly amazed at the improvement. Since I did the rear gears and exhaust mods at the same time I guess I'll never be sure what percentage each contributed to the performance increase. The car definately seems more responsive - tires light up easily, even with rolling start in 1st. Hitting passing gear on highway at 45 mph shows a big improvement and you can feel the engine is breathing more freely. The old exhaust system was original ( very quiet ) so right now the flowmasters seem a little loud to me but I think I'll get used to them.At cruising speeds they are pretty quiet but under load or acceleration they have a low rumble. It also took alot of fiddling around to get them to stick out from under the car evenly. Next on the agenda will probably be a shift kit. Then turn to the intake side of things. Note: So far the removal of the pre cats has not triggered any EGR codes. Thanks for all the help and info guys.
Old 08-27-2001, 04:40 AM
ol,RJ
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: JUST COMPLETED MODS TO MY 86 (Cruz 86)

you've been a busy boy :smash: :smash: :smash:
:cool:
Old 08-27-2001, 09:32 AM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Congrats on the "awakening". I to thought my Flows were a little loud inside at first but I've realy grown to love the sound.

So you only did poly bushings out back? I haven't done any suspension mods yet, but some are on the list.

Old 08-27-2001, 11:11 PM
Cruz 86
Instructor

Default Re: JUST COMPLETED MODS TO MY 86 (65Z01)

Yes, just the rear bushings for now. Since I had to dismantle half of the rear suspension in order to remove the differential this was the perfect time to do it. Drove it around for awhile tonight and I think I'm starting to get used to the Flowmasters. Either that or they will slowly drive me nuts. Time will tell but I must say the car has never run better. CRUZ 86
Old 08-27-2001, 11:52 PM
TJR
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds sweet, I'd like to do those same things to mine. How much for everything?
Old 08-27-2001, 11:57 PM
AquaMetallic94LT1
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmm............ rear poly bushings for better handling. I think I need to look into that as well. :hat
Old 08-28-2001, 12:26 AM
Cruz 86
Instructor

Default Re: JUST COMPLETED MODS TO MY 86 (AquaMetallic94LT1)

I did all my own labor but the part prices break down like this

Walker high flow cat and front Y pipe package (eliminates pre cats) $150.

Flowmaster cat back (summit) $353.

Used Dana 36 (3.07) $325.

Rebuild Kit and new posi clutches (randys ring and pinion) $140. (aprox.)

Energy Suspension Poly bushings (camber rods and carrier) $50.

You should be able to find a dana 36 with3.07s that does not need a rebuild for around $325. The guy I bought mine from told me it was a good one but that didn't turn out to be true. Contemporary corvette will sell you one for $450. and guarantee it.
Old 08-28-2001, 01:58 PM
Fastguy
Team Owner

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'05

I also have the Walker Y-pipe pre cat eliminator but have a stock converter and pipes with generic aftermarket mufflers. Other than a cut lid, its all stock. I'm taking it ot the track Saturday to see what it runs but it feels pretty decent and I have no codes either.
Old 08-28-2001, 03:40 PM
Cruz 86
Instructor

Default Re: JUST COMPLETED MODS TO MY 86 (Fastguy)

Hey fastguy, Did you notice much difference in the performance from removing the pre cats?
Old 08-28-2001, 05:53 PM
Fastguy
Team Owner

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'05

It was on the car when I bought it, so I don't know. I am hoping to compare it to stock 88 1/4 mile times to see of it made any improvement.

Get notified of new replies

To JUST COMPLETED MODS TO MY 86 (exhaust, gears and rear suspension bushings)

Quick Reply: JUST COMPLETED MODS TO MY 86 (exhaust, gears and rear suspension bushings)