C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Ignition problem resolved

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2006, 08:45 PM
Snuffy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ignition problem resolved o NNNNOOOOTTTT

I had an extremely lucky day today. I was about 200 miles form home today at a meeting and I took the 88 vette. For about a year now it has been missing, stumbling, coughing or what ever you want to call it very spradically. It happens at steady throttle, both city and highway speeds. On the way down to the meeting it ran fairly well with a few stumbles but not bad. On the way home it was noticebly worse and more frequent.
When I got home I took the distributor cap off, having come to the conclusion that it was ignition related. The little button on the top of the cap fell out. The plastic around the button was melted and crispy. I realized at that time that I was lucky to make it home. That distributor was a failure waiting to happen. By the way it was an HEI Accel cap and rotor. Now to find a replacement. No more ACCEL.

Last edited by Snuffy; 05-30-2006 at 02:43 PM.
Old 05-20-2006, 09:38 PM
pcolt94
Le Mans Master

Received 197 Likes on 172 Posts

Just read a post where a guy had the same symtoms and found the same related problem with the center contact button. Except I think the button was assembled wrong by someone else. Not a bad job repacing the cap and contact and doing it right.
Old 05-21-2006, 12:30 AM
jfb
Team Owner

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Put a GM cap and rotor on it, my 87 is original and has 207k miles on them and they work perfect.
Old 05-21-2006, 04:11 AM
K87ZZ4
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds similar to what happened with mine, but it was a loose/missing screw on the rotor, which sounded like an engine knock from the driver's seat. Boy, was I surprised to find that was the noise... and, like you, was that close to being stranded... all for the price of an easy fix.
Old 05-21-2006, 09:08 AM
rick lambert
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

jfb, 207,000 miles on a stock cap and rotor..time for a tune up.
Old 05-30-2006, 02:36 PM
Snuffy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1988 stock.
OK, the dirty rotten &^%$$#@@## is at it again. I thought I had the problem fixed with the new cap. I was out last night and blasted off the line when the light turned green and was almost totally embarassed. Sputter, sputter, pop, pop then go.
When I got home I did like one forum member suggested and hooked up my fuel pressure guage and drove around. The fuel pressure stayed constant and even rose a bit as I accelerated. It did not drop when the stumble happened so I am sure it is electrical/ignition related.
Has anyone lost a pickup coil in the distributor? If so does it just die or will it cause intermittent stumbles?
I am feeling very uncomfortable driving it until I get this fixed.

Get notified of new replies

To Ignition problem resolved

Quick Reply: Ignition problem resolved