C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Need Rear end HELP

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2006, 07:39 PM
plumberh2o
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need Rear end HELP

As I said,
This is something I have never run in to. My new rear turned it self into a Detroit locker.
I know this is not sounding sane, let me start from the beginning.
I installed a new rebuilt Dana 44 in my 86 coupe I drove it about 200 miles and everything was fine. I got into some bad weather and had some fun spinning some wheels on the wet road and all of a sudden the posi will not let go. When I go around turns the one tire hooks and the other tire skips like a DETROIT LOCKER. Will this thing ever let go or am I going to mess things up by driving it this way.

Plumberh2o
Old 05-18-2006, 08:02 PM
parafrog
Racer

Location: Tucson, AZ. L98-85 AUTO COUPE: 120k MILES: daily driver. SOUND OFF IF YOU'VE BEEN THERE. Ex-Jumpin' Junky-82nd Airborne-2/505 PIR: 1st ID-1/16th Inf: Recon Marine Retread. GOD BLESS GRUNTS.

well something ain't spinning. stuck clutches? shoot i don't know, but i do know you need to talk to whoever built it. building rear ends ain't easy. i did it one time with no dial indicators or shise to check backlash or install bearings, but i was good, resilient, lucky and just kept pulling stuff apart untill the pattern looked good. it sounds like your re-builder could be none of these. but be positive--everybody makes mistakes.

i hope you get a direction of inquiry here, but i don't think that will help your negotiations with the assembler. call them, start out polite, then get more aggresive. or even better, go there and do the same thing--if you are close enough.

did you add posi additive?

Last edited by parafrog; 05-18-2006 at 08:05 PM.
Old 05-18-2006, 09:06 PM
LS6 Motor
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

When you installed the rearend, did you put the lube in it, or was it full from the rebuilder? The reason why I ask is that there is an additive you must put in along with the gear oil. The additive is needed to make the clutches in the differental work correctly. Just a thought....
Old 05-18-2006, 09:56 PM
JackDidley
Race Director

Received 232 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by KODAVETTE
When you installed the rearend, did you put the lube in it, or was it full from the rebuilder? The reason why I ask is that there is an additive you must put in along with the gear oil. The additive is needed to make the clutches in the differental work correctly. Just a thought....

The posi becomes locked when it gets hot. Happened to me on a C3 I used to have.
Old 05-19-2006, 09:18 AM
parafrog
Racer

Location: Tucson, AZ. L98-85 AUTO COUPE: 120k MILES: daily driver. SOUND OFF IF YOU'VE BEEN THERE. Ex-Jumpin' Junky-82nd Airborne-2/505 PIR: 1st ID-1/16th Inf: Recon Marine Retread. GOD BLESS GRUNTS.

is there anybody out there?

not pink floyd. which one is pink?
Old 05-19-2006, 06:43 PM
plumberh2o
Pro

I put the lube in the rear synthetic lube that needs no posi fluid. This rear was rebuilt by Ickers rear rebuilds and has a 1 year guarantee. If I feel it is not going to fix it self then I have a days work to remove it again and install another one when I get it from Ickers.

Thanks but the thing I asked was if anyone else seen this happen or had it happin to them and what was wrong.
Old 05-20-2006, 06:37 AM
CF6873
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I have read that 2 bottles of the GM only additive are nessessary in some rears. I would try that before pulling the rear.
Old 05-20-2006, 06:59 AM
geogolf
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default rear end

i think before you give up I would buy a bottle of limited slip additive and put that in to see if its frees clutches up might work might not gear oil you put in might not had enought additive
Old 05-20-2006, 12:07 PM
redrose
Melting Slicks

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

toss in two bottles of gm positration lube additive p/n 1052358.

stuff works...i've heard its whale oil,don't tell the tree-grabbers.
Old 05-20-2006, 12:56 PM
plumberh2o
Pro

I a going to put two bottles of GM POSI FLUID in the rear and take it to the big parking lot the next time it is raining. Then I will see if the same treatment will make it better or do it in.

Get notified of new replies

To Need Rear end HELP

Quick Reply: Need Rear end HELP