C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

MSD OPTI. Any news yet???

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2006, 10:48 AM
edsalinas
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Contributor
Default MSD OPTI. Any news yet???

Anyone have info on the new Opti from MSD?

Old 05-17-2006, 10:57 AM
RacerX70CC
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Got one in and sold it immediately (the late style)... I'm waiting for some more to arrive, tho. Nice piece, very well constructed.
Old 05-17-2006, 05:57 PM
edsalinas
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Contributor

ttt
Old 05-17-2006, 06:15 PM
irokru
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Summit has them on there web site
Old 05-17-2006, 06:38 PM
edsalinas
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Contributor

Originally Posted by irokru
Summit has them on there web site
Both early and late versions?
Old 05-17-2006, 06:59 PM
Vette Threat
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Corvette Central in their latest catalog has both styles. $519.OO each

I'll be grabbing one soon to go with my new engine and I'll post a review at that time.
Old 05-18-2006, 08:59 AM
edsalinas
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Contributor

Originally Posted by Vette Threat
Corvette Central in their latest catalog has both styles. $519.OO each

I'll be grabbing one soon to go with my new engine and I'll post a review at that time.
Summit lists the early style for $499.00.

I guess if it lasts several years, it's worth it...

Old 05-18-2006, 10:13 AM
RacerX70CC
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by edsalinas
Summit lists the early style for $499.00.

I guess if it lasts several years, it's worth it...

I got that beat.... just a matter of when they hit the door.
Old 05-18-2006, 10:23 AM
edsalinas
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Contributor

Originally Posted by RacerX70CC
I got that beat.... just a matter of when they hit the door.
Oh yeah?

So tell us,
how much $$ can you sell me an early style for? I'll be tearing the front of the LT1 apart in the next few days, so I'll be looking to pick one up soon... PM me with the info bro.

Old 05-18-2006, 11:47 AM
JA94vette
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How does the MSD compare to the dynaspark??
Old 05-18-2006, 12:04 PM
pcolt94
Le Mans Master

Received 197 Likes on 172 Posts

What is the actual improvement in construction. Is it going to prevent the problems that the opti is currently having. Is it sealed better, will it prevent the caps from going bad. When I disassembled my cap I saw no problems with it that I could see visually. Rotor looked OK to. The other side except for a little rust on the housing, wheels looked OK. Don't know what was wrong with it but the new one fixed the runability problem. I beleive it was 11 years old.

The question is, is it going to be a better product 10 years down the road......or 5. Would just like to know why it better?
Old 05-18-2006, 01:06 PM
edsalinas
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Contributor

Originally Posted by pcolt94
What is the actual improvement in construction. Is it going to prevent the problems that the opti is currently having. Is it sealed better, will it prevent the caps from going bad. When I disassembled my cap I saw no problems with it that I could see visually. Rotor looked OK to. The other side except for a little rust on the housing, wheels looked OK. Don't know what was wrong with it but the new one fixed the runability problem. I beleive it was 11 years old.

The question is, is it going to be a better product 10 years down the road......or 5. Would just like to know why it better?
My (limited) understanding is the bearings are the main problem, in addition to the moisture getting into the early styles. MSD claims they solved both issues...
Old 05-30-2006, 02:20 PM
DYNASPARK
Advanced

Originally Posted by edsalinas
My (limited) understanding is the bearings are the main problem, in addition to the moisture getting into the early styles. MSD claims they solved both issues...
1.) The bearings used in the stock opti are rated for 13k rpm. It is an NTN bearing, which IMO are the best sealed bearing you can buy. The problem lies deeper than a "bad" bearing.

2.) The MSD unit arrives with the cap uninstalled, making sure you have the proper seal isnt just as easy as bolting the cap down onto the housing, expect problems.

In dealing with these units for 10 hours a day 7 days a week I have learned quite a bit about them. Ive said it before and ill say it again...
Originally Posted by DYNASPARK
You get what you pay for
Old 05-30-2006, 02:30 PM
rickneworleansla
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

1.) The bearings used in the stock opti are rated for 13k rpm. It is an NTN bearing, which IMO are the best sealed bearing you can buy. The problem lies deeper than a "bad" bearing.

2.) The MSD unit arrives with the cap uninstalled, making sure you have the proper seal isnt just as easy as bolting the cap down onto the housing, expect problems.

In dealing with these units for 10 hours a day 7 days a week I have learned quite a bit about them. Ive said it before and ill say it again...

So does that mean a stock 95 opti would be better than the msd? What specific problems did you have with the MSD. How did you solve the cap issue? I have plans for a cam swap in the future and I figured that with 80k miles I should look at the opti also. I was panning on using the MSD opti.

Thanks
Old 05-30-2006, 02:37 PM
Tom Piper
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does the Dynaspark use the same stock bearing?
If not, what is different about your bearing?

Tom Piper
Old 05-31-2006, 03:21 AM
steve40th
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03 & '05

Then why dont you share your secrets with the general public. It really is sad that a POS unit is modified to work better, not always longer, and the general public still has to deal with crap. I am not saying Dynaspark/MSD/ACCELL or even GM are good/bad or indefferent, but Dammit, tell us what do to if we do by a OEM, which has a great warranty (which is free, and you can give it back every year no questions asked and get a new one, even though the labor sux), its still free. What can we do to make ours better when we put it on a modified engine, as untouched engines seem to not be as much of a problem due to fitment.
So tell us, what is it that we can do to make ours survive?
Old 05-31-2006, 11:17 AM
DYNASPARK
Advanced

Originally Posted by steve40th
So tell us, what is it that we can do to make ours survive?
I feel like it would only harm my business to share that kind of information. My suggestion to those who wish to modify their stock opti for reliability... take it apart and you will see some of the problems right away, other problems come with testing and expensive r&d. We have addressed all the problems and fixed them, if you want an optispark that works and will last then you know where to get it.

Get notified of new replies

To MSD OPTI. Any news yet???

Old 05-31-2006, 11:17 AM
DYNASPARK
Advanced

Originally Posted by steve40th
Then why dont you share your secrets with the general public?
Do I even have to answer that? (respectfully)
Old 05-31-2006, 11:18 AM
DYNASPARK
Advanced

Originally Posted by Tom Piper
Does the Dynaspark use the same stock bearing?
If not, what is different about your bearing?

Tom Piper
We do use the stock bearing, we just use a 360 degree retention ring with a press fit housing rather than the sloppy oem two bolt stainless ring that only supports %40 retention. We've never had a bearing fail.
Old 05-31-2006, 11:25 AM
DYNASPARK
Advanced

Originally Posted by rickreeves1
So does that mean a stock 95 opti would be better than the msd? What specific problems did you have with the MSD. How did you solve the cap issue? I have plans for a cam swap in the future and I figured that with 80k miles I should look at the opti also. I was panning on using the MSD opti.

Thanks
I'll answer your questions in the order they were received.

No, I have not tested an MSD, do not read too much in to what I say because you will start to wonder and then get confused, take it for what it is. My intentions are to help customers better understand these distributors and what they are buying so that they can make a better decision. I am trying not to post what MSD has done wrong with their distributor for two reasons, 1.) so they dont sue me and 2.) so they dont change it and the Dynaspark is the better choice.

I will not comment on my testing of the MSD opti.

How did I solve the cap issue? There are several issues, and how they are solved is proprietary information that I have chosen not to disclose in order to protect my business.

Quick Reply: MSD OPTI. Any news yet???