C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Changing to a custom steering wheel

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2006, 06:07 PM
fusionr
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing to a custom steering wheel

I am buying a custom steering wheel and i need to know if the telescopic column is a 2" or 3" travel. The steering wheels are sweet thought, you need to see them I want #30965 (Flame) what do you guys think
http://www.rjays.com/Billet_Spec/bil...-wheels-01.htm
Old 05-11-2006, 06:23 PM
4REGT4
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

For what they are charging... MOMO wheels looks far superior to me (I plan to get the MOMO "RACE" model wheel once I get to interior mods). And honestly I would never want the "flame" wheel in any car (save for perhaps a vintage hot rod with a similar theme). Of course - get whatever you like! -

- - - - BTW - It would help if you filled out your profile and posted what year your car is... it makes a difference...
Old 05-11-2006, 06:29 PM
fusionr
Intermediate

I have a 1985 corvette, and i have looked into MOMO steering wheels too, but for me i would rather have a solid custom steering wheel what do you guys think
Old 05-15-2006, 09:07 PM
Stefan Nord
Instructor

I have

and

In my -84
Old 05-15-2006, 09:20 PM
Stefan Nord
Instructor

This is nice to

Old 05-16-2006, 01:16 AM
vinnies87
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07

and i just installed with tele adapter.... no problems, but the horn and working on that now.
Old 05-16-2006, 01:05 PM
rocco16
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by fusionr
I have a 1985 corvette, and i have looked into MOMO steering wheels too, but for me i would rather have a solid custom steering wheel what do you guys think
Well, I think a Sparco or MOMO steering wheel is a better match for the Corvette than a Street Rod wheel, but ..hey.. that's just my opinion.

Sorry I can't help with your question; my column is not a tele.

Larry
code5coupe
Old 05-16-2006, 05:18 PM
parafrog
Racer

Location: Tucson, AZ. L98-85 AUTO COUPE: 120k MILES: daily driver. SOUND OFF IF YOU'VE BEEN THERE. Ex-Jumpin' Junky-82nd Airborne-2/505 PIR: 1st ID-1/16th Inf: Recon Marine Retread. GOD BLESS GRUNTS.

Originally Posted by fusionr
i looked at some grants that looked good for cheap, and then i saw the cost of the adapters--nevermind losing most of the telescoping function.

i then tried to find a wheelskins cover to fit my 85, and none of them fit. i ended up getting a fat foam cover from checkers and stretched a two-color, wet wheelskin over it and it came out great for $65. when the leather dried, it tightened right up, and now it's fat and squeezable.

that skinny wheel was driving me crazy. it felt like a model t.
Old 05-16-2006, 06:22 PM
Stefan Nord
Instructor

Originally Posted by parafrog
i looked at some grants that looked good for cheap, and then i saw the cost of the adapters--nevermind losing most of the telescoping function.

i then tried to find a wheelskins cover to fit my 85, and none of them fit. i ended up getting a fat foam cover from checkers and stretched a two-color, wet wheelskin over it and it came out great for $65. when the leather dried, it tightened right up, and now it's fat and squeezable.

that skinny wheel was driving me crazy. it felt like a model t.
Pics please
Old 05-17-2006, 01:22 AM
parafrog
Racer

Location: Tucson, AZ. L98-85 AUTO COUPE: 120k MILES: daily driver. SOUND OFF IF YOU'VE BEEN THERE. Ex-Jumpin' Junky-82nd Airborne-2/505 PIR: 1st ID-1/16th Inf: Recon Marine Retread. GOD BLESS GRUNTS.

Originally Posted by Stefan Nord
Pics please

i'll post you some tomorrow, if i feel well enough.
Old 05-19-2006, 09:14 AM
parafrog
Racer

here's a ratty pic of my low-budge upgrade:

i've still got to put some saddle soap on the horn button et.al. the wheel may not look as good as a momo, but it feels better with finger grooves from the original spongey cover.

it isn't exactly straight-with my health problems, i had to get a little juiced to do the monotonous work of threading the cover. i've got to tell you it feels tremendous. if you are going to thread yourelf, get ready for a numb finger and a lot of thread pulling. i'm low budget and performance oriented. this did much for little for me.
Old 05-19-2006, 04:30 PM
RacePro Engineering
Tech Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Road feedback

Do not overlook the driveability aspects of replacing the stock wheel with something like a MOMO. For those of us who drive on the track, the steering wheel is one of the key "seat-of-the-pants" connections between the track and you. On the track, precision and feedback are critical to going quickly. A large diameter steering wheel, like the stock GMs, tend to isolate the driver from the front tire attitude. A smaller diameter wheel transmits input from the track more obviously to the driver's hands. Conversely, a small input on the smaller diameter steering wheel has a greater effect at the front tires.
Just some additional food for thought.

Ed LoPresti

Get notified of new replies

To Changing to a custom steering wheel

Quick Reply: Changing to a custom steering wheel