C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

LT1 Headers, Long tubes vs. Shorty's

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2001, 11:38 AM
nickd
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT1 Headers, Long tubes vs. Shorty's

What kind of gains (ET, MPH) have those of you using either type of header seen on the LT1 and what
brand are you using?
I like the idea of the shorty's being a direct bolt in but from what I have heard there are bigger gains from the long tubes. The problem I see with going to long tubes is having to modify the exhaust to get them in. I don't have a problem with eliminating the cats provided they can be easily put back in for emissions testing every 2 years.
Old 08-23-2001, 04:48 PM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

Received 171 Likes on 148 Posts

Default Re: LT1 Headers, Long tubes vs. Shorty's (nickd)

TTT..

Old 08-23-2001, 07:03 PM
AquaMetallic94LT1
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All the posts I have read indicate that shorties are not much better than the stock LT1 manifolds on stock engines. 5 HP maybe. I had some on my stock LT1 and didn't notice any difference. There is some talk that shorties would help on modified engines. I doubt this since there was so little improvement over stock.

Long tubes should be better but I have not seen any qtr mile or dyno results that prove this. I read a post sometime back where long tubes were put on stock LT4 with no hp gain. I stll think long tubes should show a noticeable improvement on modfied high hp engines.

Vette LT1 manifolds are very good for street cars. They fit well and have nice heat shields.
Old 08-23-2001, 07:12 PM
mackeyred96
Team Owner

Location: Former NCM Drag Racing coordinator, National director Corvette Challenge Spring Hill, Tennessee: Whiting, New Jersey
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Shortie headers arn't worth much but look cool. I've now got the TPIS long tubes and without the cats my SLP exhaust was almost a driect bolt-on.
The performance gain isn't just from the headers alone but the abilty to make changes in the tuning. The more power your getting out of your motor the more these headers will help.

Get notified of new replies

To LT1 Headers, Long tubes vs. Shorty's

Quick Reply: LT1 Headers, Long tubes vs. Shorty's