C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

so many questions don't know where to start

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2006, 07:10 PM
Scooter 94
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default so many questions don't know where to start

Not ready to say uncle and take my 94 to a garage for diagnosis of what I expect is a bad opti...but that's slightly beside the point. I'm intrigued by the possibility of datalogging and what I can do with it to fix the car myself. Like alotta guys, it's the diagnosis that scares me. I can change any part there is, heck I've done about every automotive mechanical job known to man. I can use a voltmeter and have a sincere willingness to learn the computer stuff, but I tell ya, there's words and terms here that leave me at a loss.

Maybe a question or two to get us started...will I actually be able to use the info I get with TTS Datamaster (or equivalent) to fix my car?? Does it require a year of intense training in some GM tech school to understand terms like "speed density" and others??

I just wanna plug into the car and get a good clue of what's the problem, rather than tearing into it blindly throwing money at parts. Beyond that, I'd like to be able to throw a cam in it one day and still pass emissions.

Any and all comments welcome. First time since 1996 the car's needed diagnosis, and sorta feel like leaving it to another mechanic would be like sending my wife over to sleep with him.
Old 04-17-2006, 08:12 PM
rickneworleansla
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Old 04-17-2006, 09:57 PM
Morley
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is a steep learning curve when it comes to reading and making sense of the information in a data log and there is no one place to go to learn what it all means.
As with any troubleshooting, you need to know what things should look like when everything is working right to compare it to when things aren't right.
The terms used with data logging are kind of like military acronyms, they take some time to learn and know what they mean.

Have a look here http://home.comcast.net/~khiester200035/index.html to see some of the information you'll be dealing with. The site is still in work and I haven't had much time lately to work on it.
Old 04-17-2006, 11:41 PM
rick lambert
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Morley knows his stuff- may I also suggest the FSM, in my 87 FSM it has a section-Driveability and Emissions-Fuel Injection (Port)

Diagnostic Circuit Check

Below a "Scan" Data, from what I've seen it is just a beginning though.

Keep the ?s a comming though-it helps me and u and alot more.
Old 04-17-2006, 11:58 PM
Scooter 94
Drifting

I've got the GM manuals. Some of the Book 2 diagnostic and emissions stuff seems like Greek to me, as does some of the scanner/tuner stuff I see online. Hopefully they'll both be clearer when viewed together. Think learning the terminology would be as helpful as anything.

Was able to get my old laptop to boot up (Win ME), that's one step outta the way...IF the software is compatible with ME. It has a serial port too.
Old 04-18-2006, 10:34 AM
tjwong
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I don't think Datamaster would show the low and high resolution signal counts to help in diagnoising a defective opti spark. I don't recall seeing it on Diacom as well. I use a GM TECH2 scan tool which is a dealership tool it shows it there and while sometimes even with that it is hard to detech a problem with the opti. I always use a ignition scope to analyze the ignition wave forms and if that along with a TECH2 doesn't catch it, then I use a lab scope to watch both the high and the low resolution signals for any blips.
Old 04-18-2006, 12:29 PM
Scooter 94
Drifting

Originally Posted by tjwong
I don't think Datamaster would show the low and high resolution signal counts to help in diagnoising a defective opti spark.
But it could be used to eliminate some things, and also to give indirect clues as to spark performance right?
Old 04-18-2006, 12:36 PM
tjwong
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Scooter 94
But it could be used to eliminate some things, and also to give indirect clues as to spark performance right?
Yes it can do that and more.
Old 04-18-2006, 05:33 PM
Tool
Advanced

Default more to the point

So, I kind of asked this question - along with a few more - in the ECM-PCM Tuning Section FAQ (see last post, #99) -

Should a guy get a scan tool, or go for the laptop/software solution? I don't THINK I want to get into burning new EEPROM stuff, but who knows. Is there a point to using BOTH the software AND a scanner, does that combo offer anything that the laptop solution alone does not?

FWIW - I too have GM factory manuals, and I understand what I read there. Also, I hope to use my "tuner toys" on all my vehicles...
Old 04-19-2006, 02:15 AM
Morley
Drifting

Originally Posted by Tool
Should a guy get a scan tool, or go for the laptop/software solution? I don't THINK I want to get into burning new EEPROM stuff, but who knows. Is there a point to using BOTH the software AND a scanner, does that combo offer anything that the laptop solution alone does not?
My own personal preference is to use a laptop and scanning software. First, the laptop can be had for $50 or less, lots of free/cheap software out there, so this combo makes it cheaper.
Second, the laptop/software can and will show more data at once than the little hand held scanners can. And they usually have some nice little "additional" things that they can do.
Using a scanner and laptop together doesn't work when using the traditional software that uses the ALDL for its link up since the hand held scanner also has to hook to that port. And you'd probably run into communication conflicts trying to run 2 types of scanners off the same ALDL.
Old 04-19-2006, 04:33 PM
Tool
Advanced

Using a scanner and laptop together doesn't work....

Agreed. I guess I wasn't very clear in what I was asking; I didn't mean to suggest using them simultaneously. I'm trying to determine if there is any sense in owning BOTH a scanner AND a laptop/software setup. In other words, does a scanner offer anything that a laptop can't do, or does it do anything better than the software? Or are scanners now essentially obsolete, given that software & laptop interfaces are so powerful etc.

It seems that the hardware interfaces I've been finding are all biased to OBD II, whereas some scanners can chat with OBD I, OBD II, and CAN, when and if it comes. My 92 uses OBD I, so I am obviously looking for that capability.

Also, I don't really expect to be tweaking the EFI, timing etc; things you can do with software (even if it means burning a new EEPROM, as in my case) - but I cannot rule that out for some future time when I lose my sanity and try to improve on what I have!
Old 04-28-2006, 12:39 AM
84vette96
Racer

I like the snap on scanners. they are user friendly. they also can be used on lots of cars.I got one on ebay fore domestic cars from 1982 to 2000 for $250. To upgrade just change the carttridge. They also tell you how to trouble shout alot of problumes. Not just read the code.
Old 04-28-2006, 01:08 AM
84vette96
Racer

I also would like to use my laptop for scanning and tuning. I must be on low end of the learning curve. Once I start looking for every thing I need to get started I get confused.
Old 04-28-2006, 06:00 PM
Dominic Sorresso
Le Mans Master

Received 691 Likes on 425 Posts

You can use WinALDL or EASE or TTS Datamaster or Diacom. They're all laptop based systems. Its diagnostic software and a scanner together. They also datalog.
Old 04-29-2006, 11:19 AM
RRT vette
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Not to hijack but will the handheld scanners give info like the BLM's?
Old 04-29-2006, 11:43 AM
Morley
Drifting

Originally Posted by RRT vette
Not to hijack but will the handheld scanners give info like the BLM's?
Yes, handheld scanners will give the same info that a laptop will. The difference is that a laptop will display more data, usually all of it, on one screen.
Old 04-29-2006, 12:49 PM
rick lambert
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm just in the learning, playing mode with my laptop using TunerPro RT,
but I'll tell you, setting the laptop on the passenger side the screen and display are crystal clear, not straining to see a little screen display.
and it displays an aweful lot of info. at one time-more fun later today

Get notified of new replies

To so many questions don't know where to start

Quick Reply: so many questions don't know where to start