C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

What are the best L98 headers for the money?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2006, 11:33 AM
TheCorvetteKid
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default What are the best L98 headers for the money?

Hi everyone,

I know that this question has probably been asked about a million times on the forum here, but I'm tired of going through the search function trying to find an answer so I'm asking it here:

What are the "best" L98 headers for the money?

Now, before anyone answers I should define what I mean by "best". I understand the gains from installing a set of headers will differ very little between manufacturers, so I'm not asking about horsepower gains. I also understand that long-tubes are pretty much my only option, since nobody makes a set of shorties from the L98 (which I don't have a problem with). What I am concerned about when I say "best" is:
  • Overall cost
  • Ease of installation and fit
  • Product durability
  • Life longevity / maintenance

I should also mention that my car needs to meet emission standards, so A.I.R. and EGR tubes are a must. BTW, my car is an '89 coupe with a 6-speed manual transmission.

My ultimate preference would be a full stainless set of long-tube headers equipped with A.I.R. and EGR tubes, along with a full stainless 'Y' pipe but nobody seems to make them.

The reason I'm asking this question is because I have a Magnaflow stainless cat-back exhaust system (with Magnaflow stainless high-flow catalytic) on the way, so I figure since I'll be under the car anyway, might as well do the headers while I'm at it.

I do appologize for asking yet another header question, but like I said, I can't seem to find any definitive answers using the search.

Thanks very much in advance.

Cheers

Last edited by TheCorvetteKid; 04-14-2006 at 12:02 PM.
Old 04-14-2006, 11:35 AM
Pete K
Race Director

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I installed my hooker headers on my 87 coupe in 1993. I would have to say that they are the best, inexpensive header. Coating went to sh*t quickly though.
Old 04-14-2006, 11:43 AM
cdnguyred88
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Been running my coated Hedmans for about 3 1/2 years. Easy install and cheaper than Hooker headers. A few other members in our Vette club have them and no problems at all. I member has been running them for about 5 years.
Old 04-14-2006, 11:52 AM
MrNuke
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On my '85, 2+ years ago I installed a set of LPE Longtube Coated headers that I bought used off the forum, so they were even older and they installed perfectly, and outlasted my engine..
Old 04-14-2006, 11:54 AM
BlackHarleyMan
Drifting

I have the Magna Flow cat-back setup as well, and I think I'm close to the place that your at when it comes to looking for some headers. What I just saw that has my interest is:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1364569

Looks like a VERY Nice system and it's a direct fit for your car, I hope this helps.

Noland
Old 04-14-2006, 11:56 AM
GeosFun
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hookers and TPIS have had great reviews on these boards. I have TPIS. very happy with them. be sure to get ceramic coated.

Actually, I think there are shorties (see Hooker website). They just have no EO#.
Old 04-14-2006, 12:52 PM
Biff Buyer
Racer

i have the $300 hedman headers and they arnt so bad. The paint is crap on them. 1/4 inch flange but the tubes are thicker than most i believe. Fit nice.
Old 04-14-2006, 01:36 PM
ElisTwoCents
Le Mans Master

Received 420 Likes on 234 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06,'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Originally Posted by GeosFun
Hookers and TPIS have had great reviews on these boards. I have TPIS. very happy with them. be sure to get ceramic coated.

I bought my TPIS headers used through here and recently had them installed. I love them and the car sounds good to boot. If I had to buy NEW I would go with Hookers due to price but Im a cheap **** and used is all good
Old 04-14-2006, 01:40 PM
89sleeper
Burning Brakes

Location: The land of 10,000 lakes ,Minnesota 89 coupe 6speed with 383 and 89 roadster 6speed bonestock with XXX low miles

I sure like my TPIS headers on my 89 coupe
Old 04-14-2006, 05:24 PM
TheCorvetteKid
Drifting

Hi everyone,

Thanks for all the great responses! Keep 'em coming - this is great stuff!

I've looked at the Hooker Headers #2149, and they seem like a decent buy - not overly expensive, decent flange thickness, A.I.R. and EGR tubes, ceramic coated, etc... - but I've heard that they can be a bear during installation, and (as mentioned) their coating isn't too durable. Also, I don't like the fact that their 'Y' pipe only comes painted, with no option for coating of any kind.

I will admit, I didn't look at the Heddman headers before, but now that I look at them, they seem reasonable for the price. My main concern would be life longevity. But I think these are worth looking further into.

As for TPiS, I like their products but to be honest I don't see much difference between their headers and the Hookers, other than the $200+ price discrepancy. Don't get me wrong - if I found a deal here on the forum (hint, hint, wink, wink...) I wouldn't pass 'em up, but when looking at buying new, I think that I can get the same thing with less cash outlay.

The Melrose SmoothFlow exhaust that BlackHarleyMan posted looks awesome, but I couldn't use it - it has the EGR tube eliminated, and it won't bolt up to my new Magnaflow system (except for maybe just the mufflers).

I remember seeing a group buy for Stainless Works longtubes not too long ago - I'm going to check to see if it may still be active, or if Stainless Works will still honour the group buy price. I've heard good things about their products. I'm also going to take a closer look at those Heddman headers again. For the cost, it's almost worth it to put those on as an "interim" set while I figure out what I really want...LOL!!!

Thanks again guys.

Last edited by TheCorvetteKid; 04-14-2006 at 07:21 PM.
Old 04-14-2006, 05:31 PM
2manyfuncars
Racer

Hookers fit well in my 90 and are available in 1 3/4 for larger motors.
Old 04-14-2006, 05:51 PM
C4driver99
Pro

Hookers with ceramic coat Heddman YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR JMO
Old 04-14-2006, 06:03 PM
Midnight 85
Le Mans Master

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified

I really like my Hedmans, they are the Elite series and I bought them direct from Jet-Hot. Jet-Hot buys headers from the mfgr. then coats them and re-sells them. I paid less that way than if I had bought the headers then sent them off to be coated. No extra waiting time that way also. They went in from the bottom in about 1 minute per side, by this I mean they were up in place, ready to be bolted on. It took longer to get the factory exhaust off than it took to completely install both headers. Due to having to have a new chip burnt I haven't really had a chance to try the car out but it is definitely stronger now.
Old 04-14-2006, 06:15 PM
TheCorvetteKid
Drifting

For those who used Hedmans, what 'Y' pipe did you use? I didn't see one listed on the Summit Racing site.

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-14-2006, 06:17 PM
parafrog
Racer

Location: Tucson, AZ. L98-85 AUTO COUPE: 120k MILES: daily driver. SOUND OFF IF YOU'VE BEEN THERE. Ex-Jumpin' Junky-82nd Airborne-2/505 PIR: 1st ID-1/16th Inf: Recon Marine Retread. GOD BLESS GRUNTS.

i just bought some coated hedmans without air from a forum member. i haven't put them on yet, but i've been thinking about the lack of air system causing an emissions failure.

i could cut the air tubes off the original headers and leave them hanging during the install. then, tack them onto the new hedmans. this is a lot cheaper than buying air headers, and with bullet cats right off the collectors, it isn't going to hurt emissions.

as far as a y-pipe--i believe that is going to take some custom fab, or check the hedman website. but i'm dumping mine and going with dual pypes bullet cats for a total of $130 shipped, a pypes x-pipe for $65, two high-flow mufflers for $130, two cheap yet attractive tips, some ebay mandrel bends and a trip to the undocumented worker muffler shop.

the cheaper hedmans pay for most of this. i'm on a small-time budget. you can even buy the pypes x-pipe with three inch on one end, and two and a half on the other. and it's skinny too.

Last edited by parafrog; 04-14-2006 at 09:16 PM.
Old 04-14-2006, 06:42 PM
86VX1
Drifting

i have the hookers myself, and the coating went to hell in a hurry,
as of right now i think that no one makes smog legal long tube headers for 86-91 vets, these were the precats years. installing long tubes on these cars requires that you get rid of the precats to make them fit. smog legal only on 85 since they were the only year that did not come with precats.
Old 04-14-2006, 07:04 PM
TheCorvetteKid
Drifting

Originally Posted by 86VX1
i have the hookers myself, and the coating went to hell in a hurry,
as of right now i think that no one makes smog legal long tube headers for 86-91 vets, these were the precats years. installing long tubes on these cars requires that you get rid of the precats to make them fit. smog legal only on 85 since they were the only year that did not come with precats.
You're the second person to say that the coating of your Hookers didn't last. Hmmm... I'm seeing a trend here.

But you're right, and I realized a long time ago that the precats would have to go if I went with long tubes. And from what I've been told, as long as I have a good main catalytic, I should be fine with respect to emissions. But by the same token, I don't want to eliminate the EGR and the A.I.R. tubes. They may not do much in the way of reducing emissions (although I did fail last year because of a bad EGR valve), I'd rather not risk it so I'd like my new headers to have them.

Get notified of new replies

To What are the best L98 headers for the money?

Old 04-14-2006, 07:10 PM
TheCorvetteKid
Drifting

Originally Posted by Midnight 85
I really like my Hedmans, they are the Elite series and I bought them direct from Jet-Hot. Jet-Hot buys headers from the mfgr. then coats them and re-sells them. I paid less that way than if I had bought the headers then sent them off to be coated. No extra waiting time that way also. They went in from the bottom in about 1 minute per side, by this I mean they were up in place, ready to be bolted on. It took longer to get the factory exhaust off than it took to completely install both headers. Due to having to have a new chip burnt I haven't really had a chance to try the car out but it is definitely stronger now.
I will definitely look into buying direct from Jet Hot. Sounds like a great idea - thanks!

When you installed your Hedman headers, did you find that you had to remove the starter? Sounds like a dumb question, I know, but I read someplace that with the Hookers it's required to remove the starter, and reinstall it AS you are installing the headers (?). Just curious if it's the same for other manufacturers.

Also, did you have an issue clearing engine mount bolts (also something I've read about with respect to the Hookers)?

Thanks again.
Old 04-14-2006, 07:15 PM
86VX1
Drifting

the hookers do come with the air tubes and the egr tube, and they also make them race style, no egr and air tubes.
i also lived near the coast about two minutes from the beach, i don't know if the extra salt in the air contributed to the early demise of the the coating on the hookers.

i have also heard from two other guys running coated hookers have similar issues on the longevity of the coating. my headers started to chip away at the 1 and half year mark.
Old 04-14-2006, 07:18 PM
Pete K
Race Director

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

fwiw, my hooker headers were not difficult to install. Typical or slightly better than most is how I would describe them.

Quick Reply: What are the best L98 headers for the money?