C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Starter Woes?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2006, 02:09 PM
raptornails
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starter Woes?

Just went outside and hopped in the '92 to go for a cruise on this beautiful Sunday afternoon...But I turned the key and all I got was click, click, click I just replaced the battery last week, so I know that's not the culprit. Looks like the day is going to be spent getting her up on jackstands and pulling the starter, before I do that I'd like to get confirmation that this is the problem from these great forum members...Thanks in advance
Old 04-09-2006, 09:54 PM
jfb
Team Owner

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Measure the battery voltage under no load to tell its state of charge. 12.0 volts and below, discharged. 12.9 volts and above, fully charged. Linear in between (example 12.5 volts, 50% charged). Measure the battery terminal volts while holding the ign key in crank position. The battery voltage should not fall but about a half a volt. During cranking, the battery voltage should not fall below 9.0 volts or the battery is discharged, cable connections are not clean and tight, or the battery is at the end of its life.
Old 04-10-2006, 07:58 AM
pcolt94
Le Mans Master

Received 197 Likes on 172 Posts

Good information so far and assuming its not your battery or connections, it sound like classic symtoms for a starter. Mine would some times click or not, then start. Some times wouldn't start at all, then next day OK. Went along for awhile then changed the starter. Looked like it was going to be tough getting out but wound up being much easer than I thought. It will slip out. Don't forget to disconnect battery cable.
Old 04-10-2006, 08:51 AM
Toy90
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you want to fix it inexpensively replace the solenoid contacts only. I had the same problem and the starter motor was fine. I went to an automotive electrical place and they had the parts. $10 out the door and it's been fine for a year now. I know they sell the parts online too. It is a Nippon Denso starter they use in Toyotas.

Get notified of new replies

To Starter Woes?

Quick Reply: Starter Woes?