C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

How hard is it to rebuild an automatic transmission?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2006, 02:13 PM
jeffyc
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have done a few tranys
i just did my first 700r4 this winter for my vette

there are 3 things i suggest u get
1)one is the atsg manual
2) the haynes manual (gm automatic transmission overhaul) i found this not to be as usefull but its full of real pics not drawings
3) the dvd from technical video on how to rebuild the 700r4, the video is very good

next is the 3/4 clutch pack can be kinda confussing cause u have to go by the clutch pack manufactures specs (they did not come with the kit i had got)
watch the video a few times then have a tv/dvd set up in your garage and watch the video while doing it

next is go to the dollor store and buy alot of bins to keep parts organized

i dont know if i can post links here or not if i could i would post links
Old 04-07-2006, 06:45 PM
onetrackmind
Pro

Thanks for all the great advice. I don't have time to look into it this week but after easter I am going to give it another good look. The truck is rusting out and not worth much, but my Dad gave it to me before he past away so I don't think I will ever let it go. Although I don't think the neighbors will like that.
Old 04-07-2006, 06:46 PM
comp
Team Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by onetrackmind
Thanks for all the great advice. I don't have time to look into it this week but after easter I am going to give it another good look. The truck is rusting out and not worth much, but my Dad gave it to me before he past away so I don't think I will ever let it go. Although I don't think the neighbors will like that.
tell them whats up and buy a cover
Old 04-07-2006, 09:18 PM
k99ja04
Racer

Originally Posted by rocco16
I look at it this way:
From my experience, the average tranmission shop tech is about 3 IQ points shy of the average Corvette owner...and if he can do it, you can do it.
I would NOT try it without some good manuals, though.

Larry
code5coupe
I did an auto out of a Dodge ram van. Not sure of the exact model but it was a 4 speed. The rebuild kit + factory service manual was less than $150 and it took a solid weekend. As far as tools went I only needed to borrow a slide hammer from Autozone to bump the oil pump out. There was a PITA clip holding the tail shaft that I had to massage a cheap set of needle nose pliers with a grinder to make it work. I agree that the average tranny monkey if probably a lot more than 3 IQ point shy of corvette owners. The guy that yanked the tranny busted all the oil to cooler lines, and then wanted almost $2k to do the rebuild. They can usually rebuild faster than the weekend mechanic can though. Get yourself a good FACTORY manual (check eBay or Amazon.com) and as long as you can afford for the tranny to be out of commission for awhile go ahead.

Quick Reply: How hard is it to rebuild an automatic transmission?