C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

91 That Wont Idle, Just Dies

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2006, 02:12 PM
billlambeer
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 91 That Wont Idle, Just Dies

Hey Guys, I spend most my time on the C3 area, but I have been using my fathers 91 and it will intermittantly not idle, just drop and die. Sometimes it will be fine and will idle, while othertimes it will do this so much its pretty much not driveable, since i goto school in the city. I figure this might be a simple problem to fix, but I really have no knowledge of this generation and some help on this situation would be much appreciated.
Thanks so much,
Matt
Old 04-03-2006, 02:26 PM
RRT vette
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Assuming that every thing else is o.k. I would start by checking the IAC sensor. Does the car show any codes as in check engine light on. A good cleaning of the throttle body will be a big help!
Old 04-03-2006, 03:33 PM
nickyg
Instructor

I agree with RRT vette. Assuming that there are no codes present, pull out the I.A.C and clean out the the orafic the sensor goes into. I did this and it made a tremendous difference. Boy was it caked up with crap. Also, check all your vacume lines for cracks on your fittings. There are 2 lines running under your plenum- 1 for the egr and I think the other is for the M.A.F. With age they get brittle & crack. Hope this helps
Old 04-03-2006, 03:45 PM
pavell
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

mine use to do the same, changed fuel filter and intermitent problem is gone!
Old 04-03-2006, 03:53 PM
billlambeer
Instructor

Thanks for the help. I will replace the fuel filter since im sure that hasnt happen in some time. And sorry for my questions, but like i say, i dont know much about this generation. There is no check engine light on, and when running, its sounds normal and all gauges are fine. So what is the IAC and how do I clean it? I know what you mean by plenum, so i will check those vaccum lines. Thanks again for the help!

Get notified of new replies

To 91 That Wont Idle, Just Dies

Quick Reply: 91 That Wont Idle, Just Dies