C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

'Corvette Fever' gets it WRONG again....

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2006, 10:23 AM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,106 Likes on 720 Posts

Default 'Corvette Fever' gets it WRONG again....

It is truly appalling how terribly wrong this magazine continues to get the facts in their articles.

May issue, p. 75 - the article repeatedly refers to R-D racing's camber brace as the cross bar. The cross bar is not what they are writing about, it is the camber brace. The company makes both products and I have them both. They are excellent products. Why can't the authors of this article get it straight? I am sure that newbies looking for good info are somewhat confused.....

Same issue, p. 62 - they state that since there is no aftermarket alternative to the GM optispark, they have to go with one from GM. Of course, most of the readers realize they have no clue as to what is out there in the aftermarket since I know of atleast 3 right off the top of my head. Even in this issue, page 24, MSD has an ad for their LT1 Opti replacement. How stupid can one get???? If I were MSD, I would demand a year's worth of free ads!!

All of this is to say - if you are new to the hobby and looking for good informative articles on aftermarket performance for your beloved vette, please don't think these guys know what is available to you. They don't.
Old 03-28-2006, 10:31 AM
FD2BLK
Safety Car

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

I quit reading that rag a long time ago.
Old 03-28-2006, 10:40 AM
Scooter 94
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Thank God for the internet.
Old 03-28-2006, 10:50 AM
vader86
Team Owner

Received 1,404 Likes on 1,019 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

send them a letter and tell them
Old 03-28-2006, 10:51 AM
87vette
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by vader86
send them a letter and tell them
Old 03-28-2006, 10:58 AM
neat
Melting Slicks

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

corvettefever.firstturn@primedia.com

There you go. Tell them, I did.
Old 03-28-2006, 02:13 PM
96vetteLT4
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reply

I also gave them a reply, how can they publish that mess? , doesn't anyone read it before it goes out. I bet you 99% of the guys on that staff never been in a Corvette
Old 03-28-2006, 05:43 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Corvette Fever and the other rags often get things screwed up but it seems like CF has more problems than the others.

The story about the R-D Racing stuff was good, but there is no excuse for getting the product name wrong. Hopefully Dave will send them a letter and set them straight.

As far as the MSD Opti, it could very have been a timing thing. Some of the stories that CF does are written well in advance of publication and completed articles are probably not reviewed before the mag goes to press. Sometimes there is a good 4 month difference between an article being written and reading it when you get it out of the mailbox. But the MSD Opti has been out for quite awhile so there is no real reason why the article said what it did.

From what I have read, there are really only a couple guys on the staff who either own or have ever owned a Corvette. Some of them even made that plain a couple years ago. Guess of you don't own a Corvette but write about them, you can (and do) make mistakes. That does not excuse them from a lack of accuracy in their articles.
Old 03-28-2006, 06:09 PM
86PACER
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Interesting.
Old 03-28-2006, 06:29 PM
Fuzzy Dice
Race Director

Received 304 Likes on 138 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Can you tell me who authored the articles?...thanks..
Old 03-28-2006, 07:21 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by Fuzzy Dice
Can you tell me who authored the articles?...thanks..
"Building the LT1 to 500 Horsepower" was written by Jim Smart

"Going Undercover" (R-D Racing Crossbrace and Camber Brace) was written by Chris Petris Jr. with pics by Chris and Hope Petris.
Old 03-28-2006, 07:39 PM
Scooter 94
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by c4cruiser
As far as the MSD Opti, it could very have been a timing thing. Some of the stories that CF does are written well in advance of publication and completed articles are probably not reviewed before the mag goes to press. Sometimes there is a good 4 month difference between an article being written and reading it when you get it out of the mailbox.
The mags need to realize that won't cut it nowadays. Mighta been fine prior to the internet, but they're gonna have to speed things up to avoid lotsa egg on their face in the future.
Old 03-28-2006, 08:41 PM
Grease Monkey
Team Owner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In 8-9 Veteran
aka/Trunk Monkey/Banned For Life/Corvette For Life

Originally Posted by Scooter 94
The mags need to realize that won't cut it nowadays. Mighta been fine prior to the internet, but they're gonna have to speed things up to avoid lotsa egg on their face in the future.
Old 03-28-2006, 09:27 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

NCM Sinkhole Donor

Also noticed that the MSD ad was for the new Pro-Billet Opti. MSD had an earlier version that used a composite cap and a housing similar to the OEM Opti.

While I agreee that magazines need to be more on the ball with new items and technologies, the CF magazine is only a part of the Primedia group. They also publish Hot Rod, Car Craft and some Mustang and MoPar mags. The chances are that the printing and assembly and mailing is done at the same time and it takes a lot of time to get everything ready to go at once. I usually get my CF and Hot Rod on the same day.

Not defending the magazine but they do need to do a better job on editing and insuring accuracy in their publications. I would not be suprised to see similar problems in the other mags.
Old 03-28-2006, 10:05 PM
Red Tornado
Team Owner

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

several months ago i decided to quit reading it altogether. my subscription will run out, and that will be that. to hell with them.
Old 03-28-2006, 10:17 PM
Corvette Kid
Large Impressive Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Good health is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die
Received 68 Likes on 34 Posts
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'06-'07

Originally Posted by c4cruiser
Also noticed that the MSD ad was for the new Pro-Billet Opti. MSD had an earlier version that used a composite cap and a housing similar to the OEM Opti.

While I agreee that magazines need to be more on the ball with new items and technologies, the CF magazine is only a part of the Primedia group. They also publish Hot Rod, Car Craft and some Mustang and MoPar mags. The chances are that the printing and assembly and mailing is done at the same time and it takes a lot of time to get everything ready to go at once. I usually get my CF and Hot Rod on the same day.

Not defending the magazine but they do need to do a better job on editing and insuring accuracy in their publications. I would not be suprised to see similar problems in the other mags.
I started figuring out that Hot Rod was often full of crap even before I was old enough to drive. I've checked out a few of the Corvette mags and was not impressed. At least around here if I or someone else gets something wrong, someone will be along directly to straighten out the facts. I just don't have much use for magazines anymore, generally speaking.
Old 03-28-2006, 11:06 PM
VetteUSA
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

I only look at those magazine for their pictures. I don't even buy them. I trust the forum much more than any of those magazines.

Get notified of new replies

To 'Corvette Fever' gets it WRONG again....

Old 03-29-2006, 02:46 AM
DDSLT5
Team Owner

Received 68 Likes on 40 Posts

Corvette Fever blows.
Old 03-29-2006, 02:52 AM
hippy
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

That's too bad. I have their mags back from 1994 and I really liked it back then. I quit subscribing around 2003, I thought the later issues were pretty sucky. It sounds like they are pretty good at sucking still.
Old 03-29-2006, 04:16 AM
CentralCoaster
Team Owner

Location: San Diego , CA Double Yellow DirtBags 1985..Z51..6-speed
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Sounds like Ecklers. They have only one person to answer tech questions. And he works part time. That's a tall task for 50 years of Corvette knowledge. I bet the rest of the guys working there drive Hyundas.

Quick Reply: 'Corvette Fever' gets it WRONG again....