C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

700r4 gurus need your help!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2006, 01:32 PM
Damien89
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 700r4 gurus need your help!!

My dad's vette 89 auto.
Yesterday got the vette out and went for a drive, when the vette changed in overdrive at about 40mph i gave it some gas to pass a car and the engine just revved to 2600,3000,3500rpm with no accelaration, i tought that the clutches were slipping and it was doing this in od only. 1st 2nd 3rd there was no slippige the car just accelarated beautifully,only in od it slipped. This is the third time in a year and a half that the tranny has slipping clutches and when i talked with my mechanic he thinks that this could be something to do with the tourqe converter, he told me that pieces from it could be going inside the tranny and they are making some kind of damage to it.
Sorry for my english.
Old 03-19-2006, 01:47 PM
comp
Team Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 03-19-2006, 02:09 PM
Damien89
Racer

Sorry but i do not know what do you mean?
Old 03-19-2006, 02:18 PM
85vet
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran

Originally Posted by Damien89
Sorry but i do not know what do you mean?
It just means he will be watching the thread, he is interested in the answers and it takes your post to the top.
Old 03-19-2006, 02:21 PM
Damien89
Racer

Originally Posted by 85vet
It just means he will be watching the thread, he is interested in the answers and it takes your post to the top.
Thanks
Old 03-19-2006, 03:19 PM
Pete K
Race Director

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

From the sounds of it, your 3/4 clutches may be worn out. The 3/4 gear ranges use a seperate clutch pack. This pack is prone to wearing out first. During a rebuild, this clutch pack can be upgraded. This is of no help to you now, unfortunately. I would take it to a local tranmission pro, and let him take pressure readings. There are many pressure ports on the outside of the trans. Readings can be taken and compared to specs in the shop manual. This will allow him to verify the tv cable is set correctly and the clutch packs are holding pressure or not.
Old 03-20-2006, 11:58 AM
Damien89
Racer

ttt
Old 03-20-2006, 08:11 PM
corvette1990
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Pete K
From the sounds of it, your 3/4 clutches may be worn out. The 3/4 gear ranges use a seperate clutch pack. This pack is prone to wearing out first. During a rebuild, this clutch pack can be upgraded. This is of no help to you now, unfortunately. I would take it to a local tranmission pro, and let him take pressure readings. There are many pressure ports on the outside of the trans. Readings can be taken and compared to specs in the shop manual. This will allow him to verify the tv cable is set correctly and the clutch packs are holding pressure or not.
Pete is right on the button again. Having gone through 5 transmissions in my 90 vette, I can relate to your problem repeatedly. Make sure your tranny is rebuilt by an expert. I suffered a few fools at GM dealership, including two rebuilt Target units from GM. I finally shopped around and got a pro with heavy duty parts, that has lasted three years of tire frying drag racing on drag radials. Do a search and go read up on the Raptor transmission or the one I chose from www.Levelten.com in NJ, they do ship all the way to the middle east. I noticed your in Malta, cool. I had a friend that was in the military name Martin from Malta. Good luckChris

Last edited by corvette1990; 03-20-2006 at 08:19 PM.
Old 03-21-2006, 12:12 AM
sami85L98
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ttt

Why u put "ttt" when already a tranny guru told u so thats pete. K he is the only expert on CF others have knowledge but pete has mastered in trannies and so far he has build tranny's for hundreds of people both on forum and outside including mine. No need of ttt any more please.
Old 03-21-2006, 06:40 PM
corvette1990
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ttt

LOL..... oh no the "ttt' police have arrived to highjack the thread from innocent posters and pretenders. gimme a brake, ...... or a rotor...... Some people are so serious. Why not bust me for putting a link to a non FORUM supporter. I will not post again in this thread, so don't even bait me....
Old 03-22-2006, 11:39 AM
Damien89
Racer

What puzzles me is that the tranny was working fine then all of a sudden the shift from 1st to 2nd was jerky and after i drove it for 5 mins the od started slipping. If this was a case of an uncorrect t.v cable that was not set to the proper specs wouldnt the tranny act strange from the first time that i drove it from my mechanic? Why now after 2 months? Can it be that the torque converter or something else is going and there are pieces of debry in the tranny which is causing it to not work properly and causing these symptoms.
Old 03-22-2006, 08:56 PM
Brimis
Drifting

Received 27 Likes on 11 Posts

My dad's vette 89 auto.
Yesterday got the vette out and went for a drive, when the vette changed in overdrive at about 40mph i gave it some gas to pass a car and the engine just revved to 2600,3000,3500rpm with no accelaration, i tought that the clutches were slipping and it was doing this in od only. 1st 2nd 3rd there was no slippige the car just accelarated beautifully,only in od it slipped. This is the third time in a year and a half that the tranny has slipping clutches and when i talked with my mechanic he thinks that this could be something to do with the tourqe converter, he told me that pieces from it could be going inside the tranny and they are making some kind of damage to it.
Sorry for my english.

I had the same problem and continued to drive the car, then one fine day the transmission decided to die right on the GS parkway, imagine that, right on the parkway. It took an hour to wind the car home.

Good luck with the rebuild.
Old 03-28-2006, 04:58 AM
PBA
Advanced

It does not happen often, but the TV cable can move out of adjustment, and when this happens, changes occur immediately as the line pressure has now changed in relation to the throttle (torque output). Usually though the shifts get longer and sometimes a slide shift, but what you have can happen. I would check the TV cable setting, check the fluid level & condition of the fluid, all of these are important to the life of this unit. I have built 100's of 700R4's, for HD & Hi-Performance use, and this (the TV cable setting) is critical. The torque converter is most likely not the cause for this. As Pete K said, take readings, and see what you have.
Old 03-28-2006, 07:07 AM
bacardioil
Pro

if rebuild is needed just have pete k do the rebuild
Old 03-28-2006, 11:13 AM
Corvette0096
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

3/4 clutch pack are very common to go out in these trannies.

Get notified of new replies

To 700r4 gurus need your help!!

Quick Reply: 700r4 gurus need your help!!