C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

transmission problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2006, 09:49 AM
hokiess
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default transmission problem

Just got my '89 painted. Looks beautiful. Took it out for it's maiden voyage following the new paint job and half way home my buddy and I made a pit stop. I put the care in park, left the engine running, came back to the car and put it in drive but once the auto got past about 2nd gear speed the transmission wouldn't shift to anything above 2nd. No torque. I had to drive home in 2nd gear. I've been driving this car since last June with no problems and I was just wondering if any of you guys might have a clue as to how much cash this thing might set me back and what might be the problem. The car will start out in drive but it will not catch in anything above 2nd gear. Thanks
Old 03-06-2006, 07:39 PM
JayH
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When my 4l60e lost 3rd and 4th it turned out to be the pressure manifold. I don't think you have a 4l60e in that car though. Perhaps the 3-4 clutch pack is fried?

If it compares to mine at all, a soft parts kit should run around $130 (i think.) The labor will get you another grand or so.

If you have decent mechanical abilities and can fab basic tools (steel and welder) you should be able to get an ASG manual and tear it apart yourself in the garage if you have the time to devote to it. My first tear down/rebuild (on this 4l60e no less,) took me about 60 hours.

GL
Old 03-06-2006, 07:53 PM
Pete K
Race Director

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Sounds like the 3-4 clutch pack is done.
Old 03-06-2006, 08:07 PM
dwestsr
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hokiess
Just got my '89 painted. Looks beautiful. Took it out for it's maiden voyage following the new paint job and half way home my buddy and I made a pit stop. I put the care in park, left the engine running, came back to the car and put it in drive but once the auto got past about 2nd gear speed the transmission wouldn't shift to anything above 2nd. No torque. I had to drive home in 2nd gear. I've been driving this car since last June with no problems and I was just wondering if any of you guys might have a clue as to how much cash this thing might set me back and what might be the problem. The car will start out in drive but it will not catch in anything above 2nd gear. Thanks
I wonder if someone did some serious joy riding while your car was at the body shop? Did you check your odometer?

Get notified of new replies

To transmission problem

Quick Reply: transmission problem