C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

outer window seal install

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2001, 10:11 PM
mikeg826
Team Owner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Default outer window seal install

Had the car at the dealer today, and asked about the outer rubber trim. they went ahead and ordered it, without me asking ( no biggy, i was going to get it soon anyway :yesnod: ) my question - when it comes in do I pay them labor to install it, or do it myself. If i do it myself, what tools do i need? I have limited acces to tools, and space. I can only do it in my apt. complex parking lot. Thoughts???

>mike
Old 08-08-2001, 10:32 PM
RSVETTE
Pro

Default Re: outer window seal install (mikeg826)

I replaced them on the 86 last year, had to remove the
door panels and drill out the rivets that attach them to
the door. The new seals came with new rivets also.
:seeya :chevy :seeya :chevy
Old 08-08-2001, 10:42 PM
CG77VETTE
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

I also did mine on my '86 a few weeks ago. Not too bad a job but pretty time consuming. There is an article in tech tips covering this install which should help you. The article however indicates that you can do it without removing the door panel. I found it easier to remove the panels. You have better access to the rivets and it's easier to clip the new seal in place. Believe it or not, these panels are probably the easiest panels I have ever removed and re-installed. Once you remove all the screws, you just push it up and unplug all the electrical connections and its off.
Old 08-08-2001, 10:46 PM
91-Z07Coupe
Melting Slicks

You MIGHT not want to pay what the dealer will charge you for them. I got mine through The Last Detail and they were GM parts. I paid $23 each. Pretty easy install though, just have to remove the door panels to do it right.
Old 08-09-2001, 09:37 AM
JIM FL
Advanced

Mike, I was able to do this on my 87 in less than 30 minutes per side. I disconnected neg post of battery and let the door panel hang down out of the way. Relax the tension on the glass to let it go back out of the way. Drill out old rivets and remove old seal/ install new and rivet. Don't forget to retension the glass like I almost did. I hope that your new ones come with the rivets just to save time. :cheers:
Old 08-09-2001, 10:09 AM
91-Z07Coupe
Melting Slicks

Default Re: outer window seal install (JIM FL)

Mike, I was able to do this on my 87 in less than 30 minutes per side. I disconnected neg post of battery and let the door panel hang down out of the way. Relax the tension on the glass to let it go back out of the way. Drill out old rivets and remove old seal/ install new and rivet. Don't forget to retension the glass like I almost did. I hope that your new ones come with the rivets just to save time. :cheers:
I did that on the drivers side. I had just about finished reinstalling all the screws in the door panel when I relized I forgot to realign the window buffer pads. Had to take all she screws out again. Added about 10 minutes to the job :rolleyes:

[Modified by 91-Z07Coupe, 8:10 AM 8/9/2001]
Old 08-09-2001, 10:20 AM
M2001
Burning Brakes

It's not really a tuff job. I see most people here had drilled out the old rivets. Instead of drilling out the old rivets, I used a thin chisel to cut through the soft aluminum rivets. An old screw driver will work just as well. It made clean up a snap. You won't have metal shavings in the door panel either. When you go to install the new outer window seal, you'll have to borrow a rivet gun if you don't already have one. Just make sure you use aluminum rivets for the installation. Steel rivets will rust very quickly.

Get notified of new replies

To outer window seal install

Quick Reply: outer window seal install