C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1991 Vert with 6.0 LS1 in progress

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2006, 02:15 AM
Cory@LS2PortWorks
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09
Default Gauge panel pics

I finally snapped a couple of pics and posted them to my host site.

The gauge panel is carbon fiber that I had aquired on ebay. I made the template out of masonite and, for fun, I mixed up my fiberglass resin and spread it over the masonite and then laid out the carbon fiber scrap I had. I let it cure for about an hour and laid another coat of resin on it. It looks like a home job and definitely fits my frankenstein project. The point is that you can get gauges to fit and not look like a ridiculous racecar. These all fit in the stock area and could be on black ABS plastic if you desired or on black lexan.

Link:

http://community.webshots.com/album/552510560QnRqpi

The fuel gauge isn't connected yet... but soon will be.

Last edited by Cory@LS2PortWorks; 07-24-2006 at 02:19 AM.
Old 07-24-2006, 02:49 AM
honda hunter
Pro

The thought makes my mouth water. I would love to do the same someday.
Old 07-24-2006, 08:11 AM
dennysZ51
Instructor

Cool I like it. what year high pressure power steering hose did you use? I was wondering how come you did not use the return type 97-98 Corvette fuel rail? witch one is better. I have been told the Mac f-body mid length headers fit with out any problems what do you think? thanks and keep up the great work.
Old 07-24-2006, 12:31 PM
TM-Z06
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I love the gauges....good job
Old 07-24-2006, 01:15 PM
j3studio
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 235 Likes on 77 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06

Very cool thread...
Old 07-24-2006, 05:06 PM
Jeffvette
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CHarris85Vette
The point is that you can get gauges to fit and not look like a ridiculous racecar.

Old 07-24-2006, 05:37 PM
Cory@LS2PortWorks
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by dennysZ51
Cool I like it. what year high pressure power steering hose did you use? I was wondering how come you did not use the return type 97-98 Corvette fuel rail? witch one is better. I have been told the Mac f-body mid length headers fit with out any problems what do you think? thanks and keep up the great work.
I just used a C5 power steering hose for the high pressure side. I think they are all the same. I did have to bend the hell out of it to make it fit, though. Probably better to just buy a custom one. I just happened to score one cheap on Ebay

You can use a early C5 vette return style fuel rail... I just happend to come a across a cheap one like I used. I also already had the regulator I used. Since the C4 already has both lines at the front... it would be easy to just adapt the return style rail up there.

I've heard the shorty f-body headers work... but I didn't have any on hand. I figured the $50-60 Z06 manifolds were a cheap safe bet to try and it worked out fine. Most others used the shorty headers you're asking about.
Old 07-24-2006, 05:40 PM
Cory@LS2PortWorks
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by Jeffvette

Those look very nice. And they are in a race car. They look nice there.

Now, those gauges in that configuration placed in my street car would look stupid. Hence my comment that apparently offends. There's just no reason to gut and strip a street car.

BTW... I still have a 85 steering column that has the splined shaft for a take off steering wheel if anyone wants the full race look but still wants the factory column. It even retains the signals and all functions including tilt and telescope (but telescope is set with an allen wrench). I'd let it go real cheap.

Last edited by Cory@LS2PortWorks; 07-24-2006 at 05:44 PM.
Old 07-27-2006, 01:10 AM
Cory@LS2PortWorks
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '09
Default Transmission battle continues

I finally figured out what was causing the problem with the transmission not shifting properly. I had a manual transmission file. Things got crossed up when I made the switch from 700R4 (not pcm controlled) to the 4L60E. Not sure how quick this one is gonna be solved as I can't do it myself. Best case is that I get a file via email... worst case is that I have to mail my pcm out again.

We'll see what happens in the next day or two. This appears to be the last major issue.
Old 07-30-2006, 01:54 AM
ABrianBaker
2nd Gear

Looks like your almost done!!! My engine is about to go into the shop for its rework so my trek has just began. Your pics and info will be a hege help however!!!! Good luck with the tranny!!!!
Old 07-30-2006, 09:14 AM
dennysZ51
Instructor

I was not going to try this swap untill I read this thread. All the information and pictures helped me decide to atempt the swap. So soon to come is my 86 z51 with 96 body ls1 / t56 with a dana 44 and 409 gears and ice cold a/c + I hope to keep my stock gauges I cant wait untill it is finished.
Old 07-30-2006, 12:21 PM
Cory@LS2PortWorks
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '09

ABrian... You're very welcome for the pics and details. I believe very strongly that the Gen III or IV are a great engine for these cars and am excited to see more of them. We've got a lot of C4's running around that were hit and had major repairs or just didn't have attractive options to be good bets for collector collector cars. Many have high mileage... heck my old 85 had over 200,000 on the odometer. It was a race car most of its life.. it would have ben a GREAT candidate for this conversion, too.

Denny... Sounds like a potent package in the works! The gears will kick ***. I look forward to moving up to a 3.50ish rear gear in mine. 3.33's is a little soft... but it'll do for now.
Be sure to keep an eye on KPForce's build- he has the T56 and I believe he set drivetrain a little lower and about an inch back from mine. That might be the better way for you, although it is a bit more work.
Good luck with the gauges! I believe they can work... but its more "work" than I was willing to give at this point. I think you need the electrical wiring supplement for the factory manual (which I didn't have). Start researching those early and you won't get impatient like I did!

It's exciting to see more guys going this route. I think its a great alternative route to a reliable streetable 400 rwhp C4.
Old 07-30-2006, 12:47 PM
STREETKNIGHT
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07

I realize you've done most/all the work yourself and a very nice job at that

What do you estimate the cost of doing this sway to be say if you had to farm the fab work out? Minus the engine and trans of course.
Old 07-30-2006, 04:22 PM
Cory@LS2PortWorks
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by STREETKNIGHT
I realize you've done most/all the work yourself and a very nice job at that

What do you estimate the cost of doing this sway to be say if you had to farm the fab work out? Minus the engine and trans of course.
It's hard to say... it would most likely be a per hour deal in that a shop would say "yes, we'll do it but it'll take however long it takes". There are just so many factors involved. Shop standards are a huge one. Will a shop remove frame supports as I did without replacing them some other way? Maybe, maybe not. As long as mine has taken me... a great shop would make it all look even better and would have to take the time to iron out all the details.

I'd guestimate something along the lines of $10k without the drivetrain for a good Hot Rod shop. I know once mine is done I wouldn't sell for less than $16k. I'd probably have to think real hard about that price.
Old 07-31-2006, 01:40 AM
Cory@LS2PortWorks
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '09
Default Unbelievable... 10,000 Views!

Thats just crazy!

I got a new Automatic PCM file today and spent a while rebuilding it to the specs I need for my combo. It started up the car so I know VATS wasn't a issue this go round. It shifted... but still isn't toally right. I need to identify the codes that are active and figure out what exactly is going on. At least I'm on the right track.
Old 07-31-2006, 03:11 AM
Jeffvette
Race Director

Originally Posted by CHarris85Vette
Remember the LS1 sits 1 1/4 inches farther forward in the chassis.

Chris is this an exact measurement? Or just a approx?
Old 07-31-2006, 03:35 PM
Cory@LS2PortWorks
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by Jeffvette
Chris is this an exact measurement? Or just a approx?
As accurate as a measuring tape across the transmission to engine gap. This was with the transmission still mated to the driveshaft and Dana 36. I could have used calipers... but ballpark was good enough for my purposes.

Get notified of new replies

To 1991 Vert with 6.0 LS1 in progress

Old 08-19-2006, 05:58 PM
kpforce1
Burning Brakes

Well? How's everything goin man? haven't heard from you in a while. I just posted my progress on the other thread.
Old 08-21-2006, 02:00 AM
Cory@LS2PortWorks
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '09

I've abandoned the 2004 GTO pcm. Seems that some critical transmission inputs are missing from the basic pcm. The GTO pcm does not see the physical shifter postion (park or neutral) and I think that is keeping things from working. Hopefully, when the camaro pcm arrives all will be well and I'll have all 4 gears that I should have! I also have to add the camaor to my HP Tuners suite so I can program the new pcm.
Old 08-21-2006, 03:47 AM
kpforce1
Burning Brakes

Well get on that man! ha ha I'm going to have my car totally sorted out before you get your PCM issues done.

Quick Reply: 1991 Vert with 6.0 LS1 in progress