C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Yow! %$@ wipers

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2006, 07:33 PM
JayH
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Yow! %$@ wipers

Two weeks ago I noticed that right around 70mph and over, my drivers side wiper was stroking way faster than usual. The symptom has progressed to the point where now, over 70 with the wipers on in any position, I get half the blade hanging off the windshield and the arm is crashing into the metal moulding around the windshield and taking paint off!

I haven't had a chance to look at the wiring diagrams yet but anyone have a clue what could be causing this kind of behavior?

Thx
Old 01-18-2006, 07:58 PM
bogus
Team Owner

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

You don't mention the year.

earlier units have rather weak springs to hold the wipers to the windscreen. But that does not answer this problem.

There is an adjustment that can be made. The bolts that hold the wiper arms to the cowling can be loosened and adjusted.

Judging from you are describing, there is some wear in the wiper arms. I would not be surprised if the rod that actuates the arm, or, the motor itself, is worn or wearing out.
Old 01-18-2006, 08:33 PM
JayH
Racer

duh, it's a '95. 175k miles and the last 70k of them here in Seattle so the wipers have been getting a good workout.

Worn mechanical parts, huh? OK, thanks for the clue.

Cheers,
Jay
Old 01-18-2006, 11:37 PM
cplonner
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im having this same exact problem!
Old 01-18-2006, 11:41 PM
Redeasysport
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06

Originally Posted by JayH
duh, it's Seattle

Worn mechanical parts, huh? OK, thanks for the clue.

Cheers,
Jay

Probably got worn out in the last month the way you guys have been getting soaked.
Old 01-19-2006, 06:59 PM
JayH
Racer

Originally Posted by Redeasysport

Probably got worn out in the last month the way you guys have been getting soaked.
Exactly. I'm ready for some and June is such a long way away...
Old 01-19-2006, 10:57 PM
pletner
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cplonner
im having this same exact problem!
Me too!
Old 03-03-2006, 02:14 PM
koaea
Intermediate

JayH, were you able to fix this problem? My wipers don't necessarily go faster at high speeds, but at high speeds the drivers blade does go past the pilar, and scratch it.
Which part is the worn one that should be replaced?
thanks
Old 03-03-2006, 03:14 PM
Square
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I just fixed this on my 86'. The driver's side wiper would go beyond the winshield and the top 3 or 4 inches would be sticking out off the side of the car.

I watched Gordon Killebrew fix my friends 86' at the Forum Cruise In last year(Fozzy_Bear's car). Where the wiper blade attaches to the motor there are 2 10mm bolts in slots. You can loosen the 2 bolts and pull the wiper toward the engine and then retighten them.

When Gordon did this to my friends car I was shocked and amazed at how far he pulled the wiper into the engine compartment! It worked like a charm after that, though.

Remember to do all your testing/measuring with the motor running as the voltage increase will affect the swing of the blades.
Old 03-03-2006, 04:02 PM
Mr. Peabody
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 477 Likes on 353 Posts
C4 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Remember one other thing; when you loosten those nuts be careful. I believe the spacing and positioning is such that if the nut comes off it will be darn difficult to get it back on....so just loosen
Old 03-03-2006, 04:41 PM
Square
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Mr Peabody speaks the truth!

1/4 to 1/2 turn is all you should need on each nut!
Old 03-03-2006, 07:16 PM
kopbet89c4
Safety Car

You need to loosen the 10mm nut on the wiper arm for the driver's side and push the wiper down a bit, kinda past where the blade rests. Keep and hold it there, tighten back the bolt and then your driver's side wiper should be back into position without hitting the A-pillar. Worked perfectly for me.

Funny story that goes along with this:

I was at the local dealership planning on having them adjusted and I was yelled at because I wasn't supposed to ask a dealer repair technician on how do it so my service advisor could charge me 2 hours of labor to adjust them. F*** that!! I didn't let him charge me because I asked for my keys back as soon as I overheard the foreman tech explain it to the stupid tech. While they were busy conversing, I read the tech manual that was sitting open right on top of my tire and learned in 20 seconds! Then off I went, adjusted them in a couple of *minutes* after I arrived to my work place. I was mighty glad I spared myself $194.74 of Corvette tax. F*** Michael Holley Chevrolet in Lakeland, FL!!!
Old 03-03-2006, 08:48 PM
vstol
Melting Slicks

Received 76 Likes on 74 Posts

I have the wiper motor, arms and transmissions from my 96 which had 26k on it FS. Make me an offer
Old 03-03-2006, 09:59 PM
JayH
Racer

I haven't even looked at mine yet.

I don't see how it could be a placement-setting-adjustment as the wipers retract fine every time and only end up off the windshield at high speeds - and even then, it doesn't happen with each sweep.

The speed of the sweep is also a lot greater when it happens. Before the wiper even gets an 1/8 of the way through its sweep, I know if it'll end up off the windshield or not by how fast it takes off.

I think I'll break out my FSM tonight and take a look.
Old 03-04-2006, 11:37 AM
JCAIRE2
Le Mans Master

THe wiper is lifting off the glass at speed from a worn tension spring. You can remove the spring from the wiper arm and probably find a replacement at Home Depot or Lowes.
Old 03-04-2006, 11:31 PM
Runum
Pro

Mine does the same thing at highway speeds. I have tried adjusting with the 10mm nut. I have also tried longer and shorter blades. No cure yet. I haven't tried a new spring yet though, new idea. Thanks.
Old 03-05-2006, 12:14 AM
drochau
Racer

you mean...you guys....drive...a....corvette....IN THE RAIN??!!!!?!?!

Get notified of new replies

To Yow! %$@ wipers

Old 03-05-2006, 01:39 AM
JayH
Racer

My vette is my daily driver, and I live in Seattle!

I would expect a more consistent showing of the problem if it was a weak spring, but there's no telling whhen a sweep will be fast and off the windshield or when it will act like normal.

At this point I'm thinking a failing voltage regulator, windshield wiper motor assembly control board or related component, or a worn cam on the mechanical arm in the assembly.
Old 03-05-2006, 02:11 AM
Mr. Peabody
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 477 Likes on 353 Posts
C4 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by drochau
you mean...you guys....drive...a....corvette....IN THE RAIN??!!!!?!?!
Ha Ha it is true..we do...., been to your neck of the woods back in 75. Beautiful place to watch hot air baloons and hang gliders

Mine's a dd here in Seattle and so the wipers are used 7 - 9 months a year. Never had this issue but yep particularly C4's don't tend to melt in the rain
Old 03-05-2006, 02:39 AM
kopbet89c4
Safety Car

Damn guys, I'm using the factory 20" blades! Yeah, I adjusted them good enough that they don't collide with each other nor go off the A-Pillars. I'm glad that it only took me minutes, not hours to adjust them perfectly.

Quick Reply: Yow! %$@ wipers