C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

got a coolant leak

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2006, 07:31 PM
BRICHC4
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default got a coolant leak

I have a coolant leak that I cannot get rid of, it appears to be coming from the lower radiator hose, but I replaced the hose, the clamp, and still leakage, it only leaks after it's been running though, like when there is pressure. I cannot see any leaks, or cracks, is there a common place where it comes from in which you cannot see, or could I just be blind, any help is appreciated as always.
Old 01-09-2006, 07:52 PM
TM-Z06
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Stock radiator? Chances are the plastic end-tanks are starting to crack. If so, it's time to order a Dewitts.

Last edited by TM-Z06; 01-10-2006 at 02:22 PM.
Old 01-09-2006, 07:57 PM
1stC3Vette
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check the lower radiator hose connected to the water pump. Chances are, you may be leaking there and it is trailing down to the lowest point.

Good luck,
Dino
Old 01-09-2006, 08:27 PM
CFI-EFI
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by TM-96CE
Stock radiator? Chances are he plastic end-tanks are starting to crack. If so, it's time to order a Dewitts.
That is one way to go. Especially if you need double the cooling capacity and have an extra $495.00 laying around. The DeWitt all aluminum radiator is a work of art and a quality piece. No question. If a tank has cracked and is leaking, you can take the rad to a radiator shop and get the tank replaced for $60.00 to $70.00. $5.00 or $10.00 if it only needs a gasket. A new, quality, aluminum core, OE, replacement radiator shouldn't cost over $200.00. Beware of cheap, copper/brass replacements.

RACE ON!!!
Old 01-10-2006, 12:07 PM
jsaunde2
Racer

Cracked end tank by the lower hose connection. You won't able to spot it cold but it can gush under pressure as the crack opens up. I'd suggest a new stock type replacement unless you plan on road racing.

Jason
Old 01-10-2006, 12:46 PM
kalister1
Drifting

You can buy a radiator pressure test kit, or make our own. If you pressureize the radiator you should be able to pinpoint the leak. MityVac makes a tool that goes on where your pressure cap goes and has a fiitting that allows you to put pressure in the system. You COULD use an air compressor but BE VERY CAREFUL about how much pressure you use, look at your pressure cap. 10 to 15 lbs.?
Old 01-11-2006, 12:54 PM
BRICHC4
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, yeah they have those pressure testers at grease monkey so I'll try that first, the hose that I replaced goes from the thermostat to the lower radiator, like said can't see a crack even hot just seems to drip at the hose, and it's kinda hard to tell if it's anywhere else cause it gets blown around under the car and by the fans when i'm driving, and it doesn't leak if I'm not, so I guess it's time to pay some money, I just replaced a 89 firebird radiator that was $110, how do you think money and difficulty is compared to that?
Old 01-11-2006, 07:13 PM
jsaunde2
Racer

The replacement is not a difficult job. There are three screws in the front on each side joining the upper shroud to a lower piece that are difficult to get to, but that's really the onlt thing that is difficult at all.

Jason

Get notified of new replies

To got a coolant leak

Quick Reply: got a coolant leak