C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Lets hear it guys: What did your bone stock C4 run at Watkins Glenn

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2006, 11:47 AM
Nathan Plemons
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Lets hear it guys: What did your bone stock C4 run at Watkins Glenn

Oh wait, you mean not everybody has done that? What about on the skidpad? How'd it do at the autocross compared to other drivers with the exact same skill level?

My point here is that a quarter mile drag race is not the only way to judge the performance of a car, let alone the Corvette. I don't know about you guys but I get the chance to excercise my car's handling abilities a lot more than I do it's illegal acceleration and top speed capabilites.

My car isn't about low E.T. It's about how I feel when I sit behind the wheel, the sound it makes when I start it up, the rush I get when I'm flying down a twisty road at twice the legal limit without the slightest fear that I'm going to lose control over it.

I ask us all to sit back for a minute and take a step back and realize that no matter what particular we have, be it a Crossfire, TPI, LT5, LT1, LT4, LS1, LS6, LS2, LS7, there is a lot more to these cars than how they go in a straight line. There will always be somebody faster, there will always be somebody who handles better. Realize that no matter how bad somebody trash talks your car, remember one thing, it's YOUR car and that will always make it better than THEIR car as far as you are concerned.

Can we please just get along and go back to what's important? You know, making fun of Honda station wagons with nitrous.
Old 01-08-2006, 11:51 AM
aboatguy
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Nathan Plemons
Oh wait, you mean not everybody has done that? What about on the skidpad? How'd it do at the autocross compared to other drivers with the exact same skill level?

My point here is that a quarter mile drag race is not the only way to judge the performance of a car, let alone the Corvette. I don't know about you guys but I get the chance to excercise my car's handling abilities a lot more than I do it's illegal acceleration and top speed capabilites.

My car isn't about low E.T. It's about how I feel when I sit behind the wheel, the sound it makes when I start it up, the rush I get when I'm flying down a twisty road at twice the legal limit without the slightest fear that I'm going to lose control over it.

I ask us all to sit back for a minute and take a step back and realize that no matter what particular we have, be it a Crossfire, TPI, LT5, LT1, LT4, LS1, LS6, LS2, LS7, there is a lot more to these cars than how they go in a straight line. There will always be somebody faster, there will always be somebody who handles better. Realize that no matter how bad somebody trash talks your car, remember one thing, it's YOUR car and that will always make it better than THEIR car as far as you are concerned.

Can we please just get along and go back to what's important? You know, making fun of Honda station wagons with nitrous.
Only twice the legal limit? I have had triple digits displayed in a 35 mph zone. Do I win?

Last edited by aboatguy; 01-08-2006 at 11:53 AM.
Old 01-08-2006, 11:56 AM
Nathan Plemons
Race Director

I did qualify that with the statement that it was a twisty road. Safety first you know
Old 01-08-2006, 12:56 PM
Powerdrive
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There will always be somebody faster, there will always be somebody who handles better.

I hear 'ya.... I have just as much if not more fun taking the twisties on the way to and from the track. I dont think about breaking stuff when Im gobbling up some curves, at the track Im always thinking..."Man I beat the hell outta this thing last run.... Somethings gotta give."

As far as someone faster....
My buddy had a 94 Cobra, lightly modded it and outran alot of folks.
I bought my 92 and spanked him
He sold the 94 and bought an '03
I start talkin smack and saving money..HOT cam, headers, heads...etc...
He puts catback on, and drives for a couple months, then buys a friggin Whipple for it
Can you say 518 rwhp? He can, and I cant catch up except for in the twisties. Once the road straightens that car just squirts out ahead

(sigh) ....
Oh well..
I still have alot more fun in the vette than in my girls 7900 rpm screaming 200 horsepower, no torque havin' 2.0 litre '03 Acura RXS-s...
Old 01-08-2006, 01:08 PM
Ramanstud
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

6.3 liters, superram and 3.07's = fun fun fun.

My 84 is showing it's metallic gold colors due to age, but there aren't too many cars out there I'd trade my 470 foot-pounds of torque for (and most of THOSE would be newer vettes). I just look forward to stoplights WAY too much.

Vettes rule.
Old 01-08-2006, 01:54 PM
aboatguy
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I did qualify that with the statement that it was a twisty road. Safety first you know
Yeah twisty road hence the 35mph rating!
I recieved a warning from the NC Highway Patrol for more than double the speed limit in the mountains outside of Asheville NC and that was in the family car. I drive faster in the corvette.
Old 01-08-2006, 02:54 PM
Nathan Plemons
Race Director

You see the thing is that around here they don't drop the speed limit where it needs to be dropped but they do where it doesn't. There are some pretty nasty roads that are 45-55 MPH and should be 35 for most cars, but the long sweeping on ramp that's good for 80 is marked 40.
Old 01-08-2006, 03:07 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

If you really want to run the Glen come on up. There's plenty of clubs that run there, check in the Northeast and Racing sections

BTW my sig pic is NHIS, I've run there, Lime Rock, Gingerman, Waterford hills, Willow Springs, and Road America.
Old 01-08-2006, 03:34 PM
loiq
Team Owner

i'll never know why people insist on turning corvettes into straightline cars.
Old 01-08-2006, 03:46 PM
CentralCoaster
Team Owner

Location: San Diego , CA Double Yellow DirtBags 1985..Z51..6-speed
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I agree with you. But please, quit trolling for debates.
Old 01-08-2006, 05:57 PM
poorbob
Intermediate

that is the neat thing about our cars, we can make them go fast straight or handle well in the twisties, or both, not many cars capable of this without spending a small fortune. our cars good at both right out of the box even the 15 or 20 yearold ones.
Old 01-08-2006, 06:09 PM
Nathan Plemons
Race Director

Originally Posted by CentralCoaster
I agree with you. But please, quit trolling for debates.
I'm not trying to start a debate. I'm trying to point out just how silly and pointless the arguments that people have are.
Old 01-08-2006, 06:20 PM
C4Crazy787
Drifting

It's about how I feel when I sit behind the wheel, the sound it makes when I start it up, the rush I get
Amen Vette brother...
Old 01-08-2006, 07:28 PM
RichS
Le Mans Master

Received 111 Likes on 99 Posts

This is what I built the GrandSport for. I autox, roadrace, and dragrace it. So I try to do mods to do it all and not favor one too much. It is hard to do with parts breakage. I break rears dragracing, powersteering pumps and lines roadracing. This winter mods are for road racing. A Turn one racing pump, polly bushings and a set of wheels with Khumo 710's. Can't wait for Pocono and The Glen this year!!!
Old 01-08-2006, 09:47 PM
Steve85
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran

Exactly why I have a Corvette and not a more typical muscle car.

One of the state inspectors at my former dealer had a very nice 66 Chevelle and was never really a fan of Corvettes. A Z06 came in on trade that he was to inspect and GM certify. One thing lead to another and I sent him to an on-ramp and told him to hold it at 60 all the way around. He came back STUNNED and finally had an appreciation for a different kind of acceleration.

This year I will be taking road course driving classes at Summit Point.

I do still enjoy drag racing though...
Old 01-08-2006, 10:03 PM
Nathan Plemons
Race Director

Oh sure, I never said that I didn't enjoy drag racing. I just know there is so much more the car is capable of.

If you told me that you would fund any modifications I wanted to my car but it had to be a strictly drag race only vehicle, I'd have to pass.
Old 01-08-2006, 10:13 PM
CentralCoaster
Team Owner

Location: San Diego , CA Double Yellow DirtBags 1985..Z51..6-speed
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I'm not trying to start a debate. I'm trying to point out just how silly and pointless the arguments that people have are.

The stock 1/4 mile thread wasn't an argument, and I enjoyed reading it. Not many dragrace stock vettes, or have timeslips that old. I'm tempted to say it'd silly to brag about how much over the posted limit you drove, but my avatar would make me a hypocrite

I enjoy auto-x and running canyons too. Of course auto-x can be about as fun as drag racing at most tracks (waiting for half a day to get a measley 4 runs in.)

Get notified of new replies

To Lets hear it guys: What did your bone stock C4 run at Watkins Glenn

Old 01-08-2006, 11:33 PM
Steve85
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran

Originally Posted by CentralCoaster
Of course auto-x can be about as fun as drag racing at most tracks (waiting for half a day to get a measley 4 runs in.)
Boy, ain't that the truth Last time out I spent 5hrs at the track and less than 1 minute on the track with my foot on the floor. Would have been a wasted day if not for the drive there and back.

If you told me that you would fund any modifications I wanted to my car but it had to be a strictly drag race only vehicle, I'd have to pass.
Most of what I have done was exactly that and I am now shifting it a bit, adding a second harness as required by the instructors, upgraded oil cooler, brake cooling ducts etc.
Old 01-09-2006, 06:19 AM
93 ragtop
Le Mans Master

Received 96 Likes on 82 Posts

I spend waaay more time at our local test and tune then actually drag racing. The main reason being, I go down for 3 hrs. 5-8pm., and make 10-30 runs. Dont have to worry about getting in trouble with cops etc. just go and enjoy the car for what it is.
The one thing that we all seem to be in agreement on, is we like the C-4. Past that, we tend to go in seperate directions. Some modify (personalize) strictly for road racing, others strictly drag racing, while most of us seem to meet a compromise of 1 or both and keeping it street legal. That in and of itself brings up a list of restrictions that some of us have to follow where others dont, be it based on where we live, emissions inspections, having to use the car for daily transportation, or simply we know someone at an inspection station who slides us through. Past that, we make personal decisions about what is acceptable such as noise, how big a cam we are willing to put up with, removing ac, stall converters, low gears, etc,etc, etc. and how much money we want to sink into something that we will never get back.
The thing that does bother me, is the aggorant attitude of my car is quicker in the qtr, or my car handles better etc. so I must know more then you.
Old 01-09-2006, 06:55 AM
LT-4 CE
Race Director

Location: Everyday you must choose between the pain of discipline and the pain of regret. Fredericktown, OH
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by loiq
i'll never know why people insist on turning corvettes into straightline cars.

3 easy reasons . . .

1) They love corvettes
2) They love drag racing
3) Can't afford (or choose not to spend money on) 2 cars to play with.

I agree 100% that there is more to a vette than straightline performance. Yet, I was raised going to drag races and spent 12+ years bracket racing at least once a week. So, once I got the vette, I was inclined to start tinkering in the 1/4 or 1/8.

That said, I have also auto-x a handful of times and loved it. It just happens that most of my car friends are at the drag strip, so I go there to hang out and make some runs. I am not dedicating the car to drag racing, I just enjoy it, and don't have room or a desire to have the vette AND a drag car.

Quick Reply: Lets hear it guys: What did your bone stock C4 run at Watkins Glenn