C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

What is best polarity for spark plug voltage???

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2006, 11:46 AM
Redeasysport
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06

Originally Posted by Nathan Plemons
The complete circuit consits of current flowing through one coil terminal, through the plug wire and into the electrode of the first plug. From there it would jump the gap to the ground strap, continue through the cylinder head to the ground strap of the other plug.
I still can't see it unless the plug is isolated from ground.There is no potential difference between the 2 straps if they are at ground.
Old 01-06-2006, 11:54 AM
Nathan Plemons
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Redeasysport
From what I have read if it is positive the plug will wear much more than negative.If you pull the plugs you will see hardly and wear on the negative plugs.I still have a problem trying to visualize how you can have a plug fire with negative voltage in a negative ground system.Could someone enlighten me?
Refer to my example and consider the "negative" terminal of the battery as simply a zero point. It is not absolute zero, it is simply a point of reference. Potential can be lower than or higher than this point. If the potential is higher you have a potential difference, and the POTENTIAL for current flow. Likewise if the potential is flow you still have a potential difference and the POTENTIAL for current flow, simply in the other direction.

Try to visualize it in terms of temperature. Say you have an object at -10 degrees, one at zero degrees, and one at 10 degrees. Heat will always transfer from a higher temperature to a lower temperature. So, you can transfer heat from the 10 degree point to the zero point, call this positive if you will because you're transferring heat to the zero point. The zero point is warmer than the -10 point, so it can transfer heat to it. In this case heat would be flowing out of the zero point and could thus be considered negative.

The biggest point that I inteded to clarify without arguement is that ZERO doesn't mean aboslute, it simply means your point of reference.
Old 01-06-2006, 11:56 AM
Nathan Plemons
Race Director

I still can't see it unless the plug is isolated from ground.There is no potential difference between the 2 straps if they are at ground.
Absolutely the two ground straps are at the same potential, but the electrodes are not. Draw it on paper word for word, it might help you visualize it a lot better. Assuming the conditions between the electrodes in the spark plugs is the same you will see the same MAGNITUDE of potential difference, but you will see reverse polarity if you keep the current flowing the same direction. If you reverse the current you'll swap the polarities.
Old 01-06-2006, 12:53 PM
corveteer
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default to help clarify ----

this is an 87 L-98 with original wiring in distributor.
please note i do not have the original coil so don't know
coil primary lead colors from the factory. also note that some
coils can be purchased with a choice in primay lead colors.
reversing the primary wires will allow you to go to either polarity.
lead colors available are red // white or red // yellow.
it is possible to buy the wrong colors and then have
opposite of intended polarity. i thought i read once ---some time
ago that spark polarity should be positive (+)
thanks for your efforts here
Old 01-06-2006, 02:55 PM
JAKE
Le Mans Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by chas stark
this is an 87 L-98 with original wiring in distributor.
please note i do not have the original coil so don't know
coil primary lead colors from the factory. also note that some
coils can be purchased with a choice in primay lead colors.
reversing the primary wires will allow you to go to either polarity.
lead colors available are red // white or red // yellow.
it is possible to buy the wrong colors and then have
opposite of intended polarity. i thought i read once ---some time
ago that spark polarity should be positive (+)
thanks for your efforts here
For the 86, and probably the 87 as well, the Corvette Shop Manual cautions to make sure the coil you choose has the correct color wires. The color of one of the coil wires and the color of one of the the pick-up coil wires have to agree.

Here's what it says: "The color of the pick-up coil connector has to be yellow if one of the ignition coil leads is yellow. If the ignition coil has a white lead any pick-up coil connector color except yellow is OK".

So yellow has to go with yellow and white can go with any color except yellow.

When I asked about this years ago, I was told it's a polarity issue.

Also, if you inadvertently cross the two coil wires when you plug them into the distributor cap an intermittent no start condition will result.

Jake

Last edited by JAKE; 01-06-2006 at 02:59 PM.
Old 01-06-2006, 03:39 PM
rocco16
Race Director

Received 176 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Nathan Plemons
The waste spark system on my old cutlass was wired in this manner. Each spark plug was connected to a coil pack, two per pack.

The complete circuit consits of current flowing through one coil terminal, through the plug wire and into the electrode of the first plug. From there it would jump the gap to the ground strap, continue through the cylinder head to the ground strap of the other plug. From here it would jump from the ground strap too the electrode of the second spark plug and then through the wire back to the other terminal of the coil. No matter which direction you run the current in this system one plug is firing electrode to ground while the other is flowing ground to electrode.
You are normally pretty straight up on your explanations, Nathan, but I have to call you on this one.
For that to occur, the head would have to be both + and - at the same time. A coil fires to ground (in this case, the head), the coil is not a ground. The head is grounded, period. It cannot fire back to the coil.
If you'd stuck a finger in each of those two spark plug wires and cranked the engine, you would have gotten shocked from both terminals....they were both firing to ground. I guarantee it.
If your explanation was true, everytime a plug fired, four of the eight plugs screwed into the engine would fire.
Larry
code5coupe

Last edited by rocco16; 01-06-2006 at 03:45 PM.
Old 01-06-2006, 03:58 PM
Nathan Plemons
Race Director

Hey I'm just going off the wiring diagram in the book. When I get home I'll scan it so you can see how you interpret it.

The picture show the secondary terminals of the coil connected to a spark plug. If they were both positive this would mean that your coil has TWO positive terminals and no ground on the secondary, which isn't exactly going to work.

Edit - nevermind, who would figure this info is quite readily available online?

http://www.procarcare.com/icarumba/r...a_ignition.asp

Some popular systems use one ignition coil per two cylinders. This type of system is often known as the waste spark distribution method. In this system, each cylinder is paired with the cylinder opposite it in the firing order (usually 1-4, 2-3 on 4-cylinder engines or 1-4, 2-5, 3-6 on V6 engines). The ends of each coil secondary leads are attached to spark plugs for the paired opposites. These two plugs are on companion cylinders, cylinders that are at Top Dead Center (TDC) at the same time. But, they are paired opposites, because they are always at opposing ends of the 4 stroke engine cycle. When one is at TDC of the compression stroke, the other is at TDC of the exhaust stroke. The one that is on compression is said to be the event cylinder and one on the exhaust stroke, the waste cylinder. When the coil discharges, both plugs fire at the same time to complete the series circuit.

Last edited by Nathan Plemons; 01-06-2006 at 04:03 PM.
Old 01-06-2006, 06:55 PM
Nathan Plemons
Race Director

Of course after all of this I still don't think we've answered the original question. You may know what the polarity is, but no idea which is "better" if it makes any difference at all.
Old 01-07-2006, 09:46 AM
Tom Piper
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Interestingly, my 2002 Ford Ranger 3.0 V6 with a three coil "waste spark" system has two types of spark plugs (three of each) in it from the factory.
So, it seems, Ford determined that different plugs worked better depending on the polarity.

On another note, every "waste spark" system I ever saw has the secondary of the ignition coils electrically isolated from the primary of the coils (except for the common connection at the spark plug threads, that is really not needed, and if it didn't exist they would still work properly. To prove this to yourself, take the two plugs, for one coil, in a waste spark system and remove them from the engine and connect their threaded bases together with a wire. Then crank the engine and watch the sparks with the spark plugs in the air).
So, looking at it using the engine block as a reference, the secondary high voltage is really AC not DC -- the secondary of any inductive discharge ignition system (not capacitive discharge) is a dampened oscillation of several dying pulses that makes up the spark duration.
In most single coil (I'm not sure about most multi-coil) non-waste-spark systems, the primary and secondary of the coil are not electrically isolated, which makes the dampened ringing oscillating DC.

In other words, the normal single coil system has one polarity (DC) across the plugs for the entire spark duration and that spark duration is a dampened ringing signal.
And, the "waste spark" system has a signal that changes polarity across the plug (AC) for every alternation of that dampened ringing signal. The only difference is one plug in the series "waste spark" system startes firing with a positive alternation when the other plug is negative. The next alternation of that dampened ringing spark duration the plugs exchange polarity -- this continues for the entire spark duration.

Tom Piper

Last edited by Tom Piper; 01-07-2006 at 10:13 AM.
Old 01-07-2006, 11:08 AM
Nico
Racer

Originally Posted by rocco16
That's misleading, at the very least.
A 'waste spark' system simply means that the system will fire a spark in a cylinder that is not at (or near) TDC on the compression stroke. In other words, it fires during an exhaust stroke in that cylinder and does nothing...hence, the "wasted" aspect. The 'polarity' is the same on all plugs, believe me.
At least that's the way wasted spark systems work on motorcycles and have for decades.

Larry
code5coupe
I am afraid that is not true. e.g. The 2CV Citroen is a two cylinder boxer waste spark system. The secundary of the spark plug is connected to the two plugs, WITHOUT ANY GROUND CONNECTION. So the spark current runs from one sparkplug via the engine to the other sparkplug and back to the other side of the coil. The plugs are connected in series. That is done to avoid a distribution, the only good reason to use a waste spark ignition system. So the plugs get reverse polarity.
PLEASE GUYS, the spark is mainly AC, not DC. So polarity is NOT an issue. You can not transform DC and it is not a single pulse. If you transform a DC pulse you end up with a long tail current with the same energy as the pulse, you do not want that in an electronic system. The capacitor and inductance of the coil do resonate and the spark actually flies a few time VV very rapidly. That is the reason why many early capacitive discharge systems did not really work well. The Thyristor used did prevent the current reversal and the spark was a one-time one. Worked less despite the fact that the energy was high.
Further more, I fully agree with the clear explanation of Nathan
Old 01-07-2006, 11:19 AM
Nico
Racer

Originally Posted by rocco16
You are normally pretty straight up on your explanations, Nathan, but I have to call you on this one.
For that to occur, the head would have to be both + and - at the same time. A coil fires to ground (in this case, the head), the coil is not a ground. The head is grounded, period. It cannot fire back to the coil.
If you'd stuck a finger in each of those two spark plug wires and cranked the engine, you would have gotten shocked from both terminals....they were both firing to ground. I guarantee it.
If your explanation was true, everytime a plug fired, four of the eight plugs screwed into the engine would fire.
Larry
code5coupe
I am sorry Larry, Nathan is exactly right and did explain it well. It is a current matter wich can flow only in a full circuit. If yo touch a plug without touching anything with your other hand you will be struck also because the high voltage will try to charge your body and the current to charge you notice!!. So that is no prove. When one coil fires, only the two plugs connected in series at that coil will fire
Old 01-07-2006, 08:30 PM
silver & red CE
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

...I still have a problem trying to visualize how you can have a plug fire with negative voltage in a negative ground system.Could someone enlighten me?
For spark to occur, the voltage must build until the gas (air/fuel together) is ionized and broken over. For the gas to ionize, a very large voltage is need (tens of kVs), but the polarity of the leads doesn't matter. The electrode is isolated from ground, so you can take the electrode really negative or really positive, the only difference is in the direction of the current flow. Ground can source or sink current.

Last edited by silver & red CE; 01-07-2006 at 08:34 PM.
Old 01-07-2006, 08:33 PM
silver & red CE
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Nico
...When one coil fires, only the two plugs connected in series at that coil will fire
only one of the plugs fire, the other plug is in a cylinder full of exhuast gas, very ionized, current flows freely (in either direction) with a very low voltage
Old 01-07-2006, 09:43 PM
silver & red CE
Melting Slicks

i thought best polarity should be +
thanks for your reply........
Doesn't really matter. Either polarity is fine, you're looking to see the event in time and no matter the polarity, the signal is easy to recognise. The scope doesn't care, it's protected for a max input voltage and the polarity doesn't matter with respect to protection.

The only important point is to ground the scope to the engine block and connect the probe's tip (not ground ring) to the spark plug wire. That way, the scope's protection will work and you won't burn out the scope's ground path by dumping a bunch of current through the ground leads. If you connect the ground of one channel to the spark plug wire and a second probe's ground to the engine block, it's ugly.
Old 01-07-2006, 11:06 PM
LT4BUD
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i have a lab type scope that says voltage is positive.
this little snap-on tester (led type) says 'inverted'
i thought best polarity should be +
thanks for your reply........
Simple answer is negative polarity would be best polarity to have on the sparkplug tip.......will take less voltage to fire the plug reliably.....in a nutshell there IS a significant difference between positive voltage and negative voltage......

Old 01-07-2006, 11:16 PM
silver & red CE
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by LT4BUD
will take less voltage to fire the plug reliably....
I'm interested why you say this. I did some work on ignitions systems for Motorola AIEG in the mid 90's. We had a spark chamber with a plug and coil and we never noticed any difference (we did look, we had to design the IC for either polarity for single plug systems and dual waste style).
Old 01-08-2006, 09:28 AM
LT4BUD
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by silver & red CE
.......... We had a spark chamber with a plug and coil and we never noticed any difference (we did look, we had to design the IC for either polarity for single plug systems and dual waste style).
I made my statement because the spark electrode system is asymetrical.......an example of asymetrical would be if one electrode was a needle point and the other was a flat surface......symetrical would be like the two spheres you sometimes see in science fiction flicks, that is both electrodes are the same shape...a spark plug is more asymetrical and thus there will be a polarity sensitivety......beyond this explanation it goes beyond KISS

I tried a quick internet search to reinforce my statement...didn't come up with much. Check this out

http://www.corollaperformance.com/Te...parkplugs.html

An excerpt from this article:

"While under operation (at a design operating temperature of between min. 900 degrees F and max. 1600 degrees F), the center electrode gets hot. Anyone who can still remember the tube transistor will remember that a hot anode can radiate more electrons more easily which is exactly what happens here, and the breakdown voltage of the gap (the voltage needed to bridge the gap) is reduced. Note that for this to happen efficiently, the center electrode should have negative polarity"

There are many parameters that influence the functioning of a spark plug.....

BTW I quess this is the Snapon tool that started this interesting discussion

http://buy1.snapon.com/products/diag...00&dir=catalog

Last edited by LT4BUD; 01-08-2006 at 01:32 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To What is best polarity for spark plug voltage???

Old 01-08-2006, 11:55 AM
Tom Piper
Safety Car

It's been a long time ago, but I seem to remember seeing a simple way to check for spark polarity on a spark plug by inserting the graphite tip of a lead pencil in the spark while it is arching. Something about seeing which way the orange flame went could tell you the polarity.

Does anyone else remember seeing this, or was that a previous life?

Tom Piper
Old 01-08-2006, 12:20 PM
silver & red CE
Melting Slicks

...a hot anode can radiate more electrons more easily which is exactly what happens here, and the breakdown voltage of the gap (the voltage needed to bridge the gap) is reduced....
Interesting, makes sense. We never had combustion in the lab, didn't have the heating effect, might explain why we didn't see the effect. I wonder what the difference in arc-over voltage is?

edit: now that I'm thinking about this, I wonder which gets hotter, the insulated tip (that has the spark plug wire attached) or the grounded tang. The tang is thermally/electrically connect to the cylinder head and has coolant flow, the insulated tip is thermally/electrically isolated in ceramic.

Last edited by silver & red CE; 01-08-2006 at 12:24 PM.
Old 01-08-2006, 01:18 PM
Tom Piper
Safety Car

...Anyone who can still remember the tube transistor will remember that a hot anode can radiate more electrons more easily which is exactly what happens here, and the breakdown voltage of the gap (the voltage needed to bridge the gap) is reduced. Note that for this to happen efficiently, the center electrode should have negative polarity
Vacuum tubes had/have indirectly heated cathodes (cathodes are negative) and directly heated cathodes. And, in most cases, the cathodes had a layer applied (don't remember what it was) to them to cause more electron emissions.

Tom Piper

Quick Reply: What is best polarity for spark plug voltage???