C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Twin turbo Banks system

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2005, 09:32 PM
kpforce1
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Twin turbo Banks system

I have seen alot of info with self built twin turbo setups and and kits but quite frankly, there really isn't a whole lot for C4 guys without paying an arm and a leg. lol I ran in to the banks chevy system, primarily the exhaust manifolds, and It looked like a pretty good option for those looking for twin turbos... but, no one can really say FOR SURE that the system will clear a stock hood. The only thing I am addressing with this thread is the turbo placement and whether they will clear. I saw this picture of a members car (ANTI VENOM):

This is VERY VERY close to the Banks turbo placement. I haven't heard back from ANTI VENOM yet to see if it fits under the hood but I would say that is probably does. The banks exhaust manifolds would place the compressor a little bit further forward but it is very close.

Here is a shot of the Banks type system...

Any other info on twin turbo systems would be sweet as well. Thanks for the help and hope everyone had a Merry Christmas!!

Last edited by kpforce1; 12-25-2005 at 09:34 PM.
Old 12-25-2005, 09:49 PM
Bruce
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bank TT, if you looking at the intake see how high it is. That system will not clear the hood, the turbo itself. The intake even higher.

The other is Anti-Vemon? man changing the plug on #1 and #3 is going to be nightmare on that one.

If some day I am doing a twin turbo on a C4 I am going to put two hole on the hood just like this one.

Old 12-26-2005, 01:56 AM
bill mcdonald
Le Mans Master

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

I have gone round and round with this manifold fitting. I have a few sets myself. the only ones that cleared the hood are the ones I bought from a member here. the turbos sit a lot lower then banks set up. I can tell you without a doubt the banks set up will put your turbos out the hood.

Whats sucks about all this is the pipes have to be lower to clear the hood, but cause a spark plug clearence problem. I have been doodeling with PVC parts to see what I could come up with. I wanted something that was tubular, short, and good spark plug clearence. I have not been able to come up with it.

I forgot to add, you may come up with a good manifold design, but getting a decent sized down pipe by it is the next hassle, which I asume is why some of these guys go for the low mount turbos.

Last edited by bill mcdonald; 12-26-2005 at 01:59 AM.
Old 12-26-2005, 02:13 AM
bill mcdonald
Le Mans Master

here are some manifolds I bought a long time ago to try out. they fit a 3rd gen camaro. I may try turboing my POS truck with them after I finish this vette.

I also bought a set of header type that would place them in front of the engine. they hit the A arm mounts. maybe a little massage and they will work. who knows.

here the turbo flange is hitting the brake lines and there is no room for a down pipe

and down below, here is a system that does fit. althought it is a plumbing squid.

Old 12-26-2005, 08:41 AM
ANTI VENOM
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Mine may clear the hood, but I don't know for sure yet. I haven't worked on it lately, but I am still "massaging" the position of the turbo. Here is another angle. Twins would be easier as the turbo's are physically smaller. Good luck!

Old 12-26-2005, 06:36 PM
ANTI VENOM
Melting Slicks

Kpforce1, my turbo is a Master Power T-70. As far as dimensions go, I don't really have much. The compressor housing is around 7.5 inches in diameter. The car is outside, the engine is in the garage and the turbo is in my basement. I've been alittle side tracked with a 4x4 and haven't been working on the car!
Old 12-26-2005, 07:22 PM
lcvette
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Anti.... man it has been a while since I looked at your setup.. your manifold looks great... but I can tell you from the picture.. it is not gonna clear the hood.. not by a long shot.. there is support channel in the hood exactly where your turbo is, and it is lower then the top of the intake manifol when the hood is closed... however.. a nice turbo hump would look pretty cool or a scoop for the compressor inlet..

Chris
Old 12-27-2005, 02:26 AM
mn_vette
Melting Slicks

Received 73 Likes on 46 Posts

Lets not forget that if you can get the banks system to fit under the hood you still need an entirely new accessory setup because of the wastegate and turbo placement. They sit much further forward then the pic of the twin setup here. I talked to the company and they wanted about $2k for the new accessory setup.
Old 12-27-2005, 03:45 AM
bill mcdonald
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by lcvette
Anti.... man it has been a while since I looked at your setup.. your manifold looks great... but I can tell you from the picture.. it is not gonna clear the hood.. not by a long shot.. there is support channel in the hood exactly where your turbo is, and it is lower then the top of the intake manifol when the hood is closed... however.. a nice turbo hump would look pretty cool or a scoop for the compressor inlet..

Chris
I have been debating on cutting the channel out of my car. if I do I will get a new light wieght hood to ruin. maybe that will buy me a little room to go a little bigger on the turbos.

A buddy of mine has some strange turbos he put together. basically a T-66 jammed into a T60 housing or so he said. they are totally custom, and his creation as he is an employee for turbonetics, it did not make sense to me, but after some time I think I want those, or at least something a little bigger then what I have now.
Old 12-27-2005, 08:37 AM
ANTI VENOM
Melting Slicks

Hey Chris, yes it will definately hit the channel. I was debating the same as Bill about cutting it out, then possibly trying to reinforce it with aluminum wich should also act as a heat shield. Has anyone cut the channel yet? How much does it weaken the hood. I wasn't able to put the hood on by myself and was taking measurements off of my other car. If it won't clear, it's no big deal, I'll build a new manifold. This was just my first go round anyhow!
Old 12-27-2005, 09:30 AM
lcvette
Melting Slicks

Anti,

If you cut the channel out, MAKE SURE you reinforce it VERY well.. the hood on a corvette is an integral part of the body. I think if it is not properly reinforced you could chance cracking the hood when put under stress. the manifold looks awesome! and I know what you are running into...lol believe me.. been there on the trial and error.. I have not put my eyes on a passenger side accessory drive in some time now.. what is on the drivers side? perhaps something similar to what I built would work reversed to fit? I know it would give you alot more room for the downpipe on the drivers side then what I had to work with, just a thought.. although I would also have preffered to have a true tubular 4 into 1 design, I just couldn't see making it work although I am not saying it couldn't be done.. perhaps with some VERY tight radius bends, but even then it would have been some serious laying out to get the crossover pipe to work and the motor mount which i ultimately decided needed to remain stock is pretty much in the way..lol anyways, just keep mocking it up until you find what works, I am sure you can get it where it will clear the hood and save you from having to start removing part of the structure.. if not like i said... just make sure you find a way to seriously reinforce the area you had to remove and it will probably work out fine!

Chris
Old 12-27-2005, 06:43 PM
ANTI VENOM
Melting Slicks

Chris, I went back and looked at your pics. I don't really have anything on the passenger side. I moved everything except the AC compressor. How is your fresh air coming in and not intersecting your intercooler air to TB? I very seriously considered a log manifold, but started with what you've seen. It's all good!
Old 12-27-2005, 08:39 PM
lcvette
Melting Slicks

well.. for starters, I will likely just put a filter on the end of the compressor inlet.. a greddy style filter short and compact and have seen them make some serious power on sup's so why not.. but long term, I have materials here to build a CAI that will go over the radiator shroud and pick up air from infront of the IC near where the stock filter used to sit but pulling air from underneath the shroud. that wuill be an intricate piece and I don't think for now I will mess much with it as I would really like to get this thing driveable for startrs.. that can be a fun what can I do next project once everything is running well!

Chris
Old 12-27-2005, 09:27 PM
ANTI VENOM
Melting Slicks

Kpforce1, are you getting all this? Still want a turbo? Get out your wallet! I'm not trying to discourage you, just givin ya some reality. It is doable, but unless you can take it to someone and have them do whatever it takes for the install, it is gonna cause some sleepless nights. Well worth the effort I'm sure!....
Old 01-03-2006, 02:00 AM
kpforce1
Burning Brakes

Well, I'm not actually I'm not building a tubo setup and won't be doing any work to any cars until my finances are straightened out. I posted this because I thought it was interresting thought. Thanks for all of the input guys and I'm sure it will come in handy for those few thinking of doing a twin turbo setup.
Old 01-14-2006, 10:51 AM
buell_freak
Instructor

I have the banks manifolds, upon first mock up up they fit under the hood.... The channel if cut is integral for the hood strength only... it is not a stressed part of the car as was said in an early post..... The problem is the assc.bracket......I have not yet come up with a suitable set-up for street....... The air conditioning is no good and I think I will come up using a denso alt. from a honda with the stock power steering, on my own custom bracket..... I chose to use the Banks manifolds be cause of there incredible strength, I believe under extreme driving without serious bracing most of the one off tubular headers will crack with time, a turbo is not light and the get stressed every time the engine moves...... I am sure if you want it bad enough you can get anything to "work"....... By the way the assc. kit banks sells will not work on the c4 because there is not enough room to run a assc. pulley off of the balancer, due to the frame.... for whatever its worth.....

KD
Old 01-14-2006, 04:46 PM
dennis50nj
Race Director

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

looks great

Get notified of new replies

To Twin turbo Banks system

Old 01-15-2006, 05:18 AM
bill mcdonald
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by buell_freak
I have the banks manifolds, upon first mock up up they fit under the hood.... The channel if cut is integral for the hood strength only... it is not a stressed part of the car as was said in an early post..... The problem is the assc.bracket......I have not yet come up with a suitable set-up for street....... The air conditioning is no good and I think I will come up using a denso alt. from a honda with the stock power steering, on my own custom bracket..... I chose to use the Banks manifolds be cause of there incredible strength, I believe under extreme driving without serious bracing most of the one off tubular headers will crack with time, a turbo is not light and the get stressed every time the engine moves...... I am sure if you want it bad enough you can get anything to "work"....... By the way the assc. kit banks sells will not work on the c4 because there is not enough room to run a assc. pulley off of the balancer, due to the frame.... for whatever its worth.....

KD
so you are saying that with the channels cut, you have to mounted headers, and you can set the turbos on it and latch the hood?
What size turbos?
You can run a down pipe? what size?
Old 01-15-2006, 10:09 AM
TONYDEE64
Drifting

Hey guys, just a crazy random thought....

Would it be possible to route your down pipe through the frame. For example, the turbos could be mounted just a bit forward just past the front of the motor... each down pipe would turn right into each frame rail. You could bring the exhaust back under the car at the rear of the engine where the frame turns in... this would also allow you to use a stock aftermarket type exhausts, and perhaps even cats if you need them. The trick would be to make sure that the frame rails are sealed up enough that there are no exhaust leaks. I need to mount some sort of remote radiator at the rear of my car to help with the cooling. I'm thinking about snaking some 1 inch hose through the frame all the way back to the rear. I have no idea if any of this is possible, but as I remember didn't one of the tuners for dual turbos mounted low route the exhaust right through the framerails?
Old 01-15-2006, 10:26 AM
Baldturbofreak
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TONYDEE64
Hey guys, just a crazy random thought....

Would it be possible to route your down pipe through the frame. For example, the turbos could be mounted just a bit forward just past the front of the motor... each down pipe would turn right into each frame rail. You could bring the exhaust back under the car at the rear of the engine where the frame turns in... this would also allow you to use a stock aftermarket type exhausts, and perhaps even cats if you need them. The trick would be to make sure that the frame rails are sealed up enough that there are no exhaust leaks. I need to mount some sort of remote radiator at the rear of my car to help with the cooling. I'm thinking about snaking some 1 inch hose through the frame all the way back to the rear. I have no idea if any of this is possible, but as I remember didn't one of the tuners for dual turbos mounted low route the exhaust right through the framerails?

The only problem I see tony, is developing a leak and not knowing it for a while. then having to get into the frame to repair it.
You don't need a second rad tony, you just need a few heat exhangers off a later odel Ski-doo snowmobile. They are les than an inch tall and will rivet right to the floor of our cars. Tyhey have a 7/8 in and out. A pair of those babies will dissapate at least a few hundred HP worth of secondary BTU.
Have a look at one.http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ski-d...spagenameZWDVW

Quick Reply: Twin turbo Banks system