C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Shinoda/Rick Mears Special Body kit OWNERS check in Please

Old 01-05-2006, 11:30 AM
Sleazy Rider
Le Mans Master

Received 488 Likes on 371 Posts

chris, there is an 87' grey coupe in the houston area that is for sale, listed through autotraders.
Old 01-05-2006, 04:10 PM
dbriana
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by corvette1990
Jerris:
No one sells this kit anymore. The last ones were sold by "The Last Detail" on Ebay almost two years ago. I tried calling TLD last year to get one and they told me were sold out, but own the Rights to the design now. They are not making any parts currently. I spoke to Dave at TLD during the Corvettes @ Carlisle August 2005, and he said they could make pieces, but do not see a market for them. Call TLD and ask them, see if they are interested yet or know of any not installed. I asked for spare parts and he said they only sold as complete kits.
You many want to check this out, maybe a repro of what you are looking for, not sure.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...hlight=SHINODA
Old 01-05-2006, 06:47 PM
vette40509
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Chris,

Absolutely love my car, color shifting paint and all. I would post some pics if I could figure it out.
Old 01-06-2006, 07:18 PM
vette40509
Burning Brakes

Chris,

Thanks for the honorable mention. I enjoy the looks of my kit and passerbys love the color!!

Malcolm
Old 01-07-2006, 03:52 PM
corvette1990
Burning Brakes

Malcolm - I also love your color shifting Shinoda. My pictures of it covered in ice don't do it justice. I am so happy with the looks of our cars, I smile every morning when I see it in the driveway. There are several posts over in the c4 ZR1 section where somebody is making copies of the body parts. They even made the nose opening larger to take in more air for the radiator. Like that is a problem...LOL. My car runs cooler with the Shinoda nose piece than with the original from GM. Each to his own. God Bless
Old 01-07-2006, 05:19 PM
sonomacrew01
Burning Brakes

I think the C4 has simple lines and this kit really keeps it modest. I really don't like the extra lights but then there won't be any turn signals in front or fog lights. Side and rear is also simple. I would think that if someone had the time and money, they could mold their own body kit similar if this is unavailable.
Old 01-13-2006, 02:21 PM
ShinodaVette
Drifting

I purchased one of these kits from TLD a couple of years ago. I started the install about a year ago and then walked away from it for a while. Just got back into it a week or so ago and am making great progress. I bought the first kit TLD put on ebay when they purchased the lot of what was left. I remember watching these over a series of weeks and most of the auctions they ran didn't ever get any bids. I would guess that is why they do not feel there is a market for reproducing the parts. I'm installing this on my '86. It's white but I may change the color after the install.
Old 01-14-2006, 08:10 PM
corvette1990
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ShinodaVette
I purchased one of these kits from TLD a couple of years ago. I started the install about a year ago and then walked away from it for a while. Just got back into it a week or so ago and am making great progress. I bought the first kit TLD put on ebay when they purchased the lot of what was left. I remember watching these over a series of weeks and most of the auctions they ran didn't ever get any bids. I would guess that is why they do not feel there is a market for reproducing the parts. I'm installing this on my '86. It's white but I may change the color after the install.
Great that makes 26 accounted for and good luck on your install. A guy over on the ZR1 C4 forum site has said they are making improved fiberglass replicas of the kit, and they seem quite resonable. I had to replace my battery this week and it was quite easy to get to with the new panel in place and a 10mm socket on a long extension. I am waiting for a warm day to wash & wax mine, so that I can take pics with my wifes new digital camera. I hope that as time goes by, I will get a more complete registry. Thanks
Old 04-04-2010, 09:00 PM
whalepirot
Melting Slicks

Received 116 Likes on 107 Posts

Default Older thread, reignited

Originally Posted by corvette1990
Great that makes 26
27, now. I just installed one on my '84 (sorta) and spoke with two other owners.

Today, a former owner of #2 car, sold five years ago, the '90 coupe was bought from Corvette Mike in Anaheim, was his wife's daily driver. The car had toured as a show car to try and sell the kits and was the topic of a Vette article. It may be the car in the poster.

The other, a red '87, still owned my Rev. Buddy in Texas is called the Rose-ster. He shows, doesn't drive it and after seeing pics, I understand why. He spent $25k+ on the upgrade in 1988.

I heard: 1) the kits were made by Williams in Costa Mesa, Ca., now long gone, 2) only 13 cars were made by dealers.

Mine is not quite finished with paint and exhaust tips remaining. I just made some tips which will be welded to the Flowmasters and coated to look like blackened stainless.

Currently the kit pieces are flat black with the rest white. I like the poster (w/ Larry, the '63 'Split' and a flat black Shinoda-bodied C4, with mesh black wheels, like my Epsilons. This poster is similar to the signed one I have, framed, of the red coupe.

Last edited by whalepirot; 04-04-2010 at 09:22 PM.
Old 04-04-2010, 10:35 PM
zrracer
Drifting

Received 184 Likes on 137 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
St. Jude Donor '11, '14

I have a 96 GS Shinoda Mears. Happy to post pic if anyone can help me.

Robin
Old 04-05-2010, 01:18 AM
Aggravated4life
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

WOW! That thread was 4-5 years old! Good to see there may be some cars left with them body mods!
Old 04-05-2010, 01:43 AM
Mr. Peabody
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 476 Likes on 353 Posts
C4 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by zrracer
I have a 96 GS Shinoda Mears. Happy to post pic if anyone can help me.

Robin
Robin sent ya a PM. I'll be glad to post the pics for you
Old 04-05-2010, 01:46 AM
The Green Rocket
Drifting

I have little doubt that the Shinoda bodied C4's will become an auctioneers delight at some point in time - it has all the classic ingredients for price escalation in the collector market: 1) it was expensive, 2) it was a complicated, 3) very few made. It was doomed from the start because they tried to make it as a possible RPO, which made it needlessly complicated and expensive as an aftermarket item. Very few (practically none) of any body kits ever meet oem standards and all the federal requirementss that a manufacturer must meet. That they took the time to test that the design would reduce the coefficient of drag is even more impressive - because you know that normally does not happen with aftermarket body kits.

All that said, I was a little sad that I was not able to get a kit when they were available - I just didn't have an extra $10k to buy the kit, have it installed and painted etc.

If someone were to offer look alike front and rear bumper covers in fiberglass I would be inclined to get them even if they weren't as aerodynamically efficient as the originals.

I dig the look a lot.

Thomas
Old 04-05-2010, 07:01 AM
Bluewasp
Race Director

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts
NoVa Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '14

send them to bluewasp AT Yahoo DOT com and I'll post them for you.
Old 04-06-2010, 07:30 PM
Mr. Peabody
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Here they are and what a beautiful car this is:

And I wish she were mine
Old 04-06-2010, 07:34 PM
Mr. Peabody
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

This will put the paperclip on the original post just so folks will know that there are indeed pics posted
Attached Images  
Old 04-06-2010, 08:45 PM
XtremeTuning
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm just finishing up another project so I can get back on the Shinoda/Mears installation on my 90 vert.

Looks amazing!

-JRW

Get notified of new replies

To Shinoda/Rick Mears Special Body kit OWNERS check in Please

Old 04-07-2010, 07:18 AM
vette40509
Burning Brakes

I still have mine, but I have moved to Illinois. Hopefully will finisih 383 installation this month after 2 years of being away from it.
Old 12-01-2010, 11:41 PM
Bryce Patrick
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Jerris
Does Eckler or anyone else sell these body pieces, I would love to get that rear bumper for my 1992.
Thanks
Jerris
None any where any more--Might find some one who has wrecked theirs and find some parts.

Bryce
Old 12-02-2010, 09:10 AM
Steve85
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran

Originally Posted by Jerris
Does Eckler or anyone else sell these body pieces, I would love to get that rear bumper for my 1992.
Thanks
Jerris
Originally Posted by Bryce Patrick
None any where any more--Might find some one who has wrecked theirs and find some parts.

Bryce
I sure hope Jerris wasn't holding his breath for the answer!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Shinoda/Rick Mears Special Body kit OWNERS check in Please