C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

weatherstripping ??

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2005, 09:06 PM
Randy93
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06
Default weatherstripping ??

I have 2 questions and one seems bizarre.

1st the easy one, my hatch weatherstripping is loose as in not glued down. Is there an easy way to get what little is glued down and not mess up the weatherstrip?

Next, is the bizarre question. 7 months ago I did the weatherstripping for my both my pillars and the targa top. Now I have a problem, the A pillar strip is not meeting at the targa top like it should and seems to be coming over the top of the windshield trim. Is it possible for the adhesive to give over time or is my weatherstip stretching because of the top being on more?
Old 11-28-2005, 11:25 PM
JCAIRE2
Le Mans Master

The hatch weatherstrip should not be glued in place. It has a tacky substance from the factory, but it still allows movement. Don't glue the hatch weatherstrip down or it will be destroyed in short order.
Old 11-29-2005, 02:02 PM
Randy93
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '06

Why Would they not glue it down???

Seems to me it lets water get underneath and into your car.
Old 11-29-2005, 05:23 PM
JCAIRE2
Le Mans Master

If the hatch seal is in good condition, no water should be getting underneath. If you ever have to remove the hatch seal you would see why water should not be able to get under the seal and enter the car if the seal is in good condition.
Old 11-30-2005, 12:22 AM
Jet-Jock
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Randy93
Why Would they not glue it down???

Seems to me it lets water get underneath and into your car.
The hatch weatherstrip has a sealant embedded into the U channel of the strip. When you press it down on the lip of the hatch it oozes out and makes the seal. If you lift yours a little on one area you'll see the sealant, its similar to lithium grease. When you replace that strip, you simply pull off the old one, support the hatch glass and pop one strut at a time to remove the strip. After cleaning up the mess that stuff leaves behind and fyi 3M Adhesive Cleaner works great to disolve it. Then pop each strut to insert the strip behind them place it in the general position start one of the plastic corners L shaped then work it all the way around. Once it is generally positioned then press it down on the lip and you'll feel the sealant ooze out. (It sort of crackles)

On the A pillar issue it sounds more like it didn't get fully tucked in on both forward and aft channels of the retainer. It may have never seated enough to contact the glue. See if you can lift it up. If so I'd work it back loose re-apply more 3M Adhesive in a continous bead and seat the aft edge first then tuck the forward edge ensuring it completely seats.
Old 11-30-2005, 05:45 PM
Randy93
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by 93JetJocky
The hatch weatherstrip has a sealant embedded into the U channel of the strip. When you press it down on the lip of the hatch it oozes out and makes the seal. If you lift yours a little on one area you'll see the sealant, its similar to lithium grease. When you replace that strip, you simply pull off the old one, support the hatch glass and pop one strut at a time to remove the strip. After cleaning up the mess that stuff leaves behind and fyi 3M Adhesive Cleaner works great to disolve it. Then pop each strut to insert the strip behind them place it in the general position start one of the plastic corners L shaped then work it all the way around. Once it is generally positioned then press it down on the lip and you'll feel the sealant ooze out. (It sort of crackles)

On the A pillar issue it sounds more like it didn't get fully tucked in on both forward and aft channels of the retainer. It may have never seated enough to contact the glue. See if you can lift it up. If so I'd work it back loose re-apply more 3M Adhesive in a continous bead and seat the aft edge first then tuck the forward edge ensuring it completely seats.
Thanks, again!
Old 11-30-2005, 05:46 PM
Randy93
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by JCAIRE2
If the hatch seal is in good condition, no water should be getting underneath. If you ever have to remove the hatch seal you would see why water should not be able to get under the seal and enter the car if the seal is in good condition.
I see what you mean and now I see why I need a new one, it was torn on the underside. Thanks!!
Old 11-30-2005, 06:26 PM
Jet-Jock
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Randy I picked up the one Eckler's sells I forget how much it was but I haven't had any problems with it. I should have checked with Chris first at Superior but it was a spur of the moment thing when I had stopped by over there one day. I figured I was there and they had it so what the heck, as my old one was in terrible shape. Someone had cut the plastic corners out for some reason so there was about an inch gap of weatherstrip in those two corners.
Old 12-01-2005, 02:28 PM
jsaunde2
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Randy I picked up the one Eckler's sells I forget how much it was but I haven't had any problems with it. I should have checked with Chris first at Superior but it was a spur of the moment thing when I had stopped by over there one day. I figured I was there and they had it so what the heck, as my old one was in terrible shape. Someone had cut the plastic corners out for some reason so there was about an inch gap of weatherstrip in those two corners.
The corners of the hatch weatherstrip pull apart when they age and dry out, they are just glued together to begin with. I doubt anyone cut them out.

Jason
Old 12-01-2005, 05:54 PM
Jet-Jock
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

The corners have a plastic angled part embedded into the weatherstrip. For some reason I've seen a number of vettes with this part cut out. It then leaves a large gap there. I suppose they think that will help it drain?? I have no idea why someone would do that.
Old 12-01-2005, 05:58 PM
jsaunde2
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, mine got like that all on their own on my '96. I've had it since new and it just split and came apart over time. I don't recall there ever being a plastic piece in there.

The corners have a plastic angled part embedded into the weatherstrip. For some reason I've seen a number of vettes with this part cut out. It then leaves a large gap there. I suppose they think that will help it drain?? I have no idea why someone would do that.
Old 01-25-2006, 04:01 PM
Big Craig
Racer

My rear hatch weatherstripping is in one piece, but is not held down to the car in any way. Its nice because I can remove it to clean in the track, however, I don't think that's the way its supposed to be.

What holds it down, and where can I buy some?
Old 01-25-2006, 06:00 PM
Jet-Jock
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by jsaunde2
Well, mine got like that all on their own on my '96. I've had it since new and it just split and came apart over time. I don't recall there ever being a plastic piece in there.
On each corner there is a seam where the two parts meet. Embedded inside is a plastic corner piece. That's what sets the material at the angle it needs to make that turn.
Old 01-25-2006, 06:07 PM
Jet-Jock
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Big Craig
My rear hatch weatherstripping is in one piece, but is not held down to the car in any way. Its nice because I can remove it to clean in the track, however, I don't think that's the way its supposed to be.

What holds it down, and where can I buy some?
There is a channel piece that the bulk of the weatherstrip mounts to when manufactured. It then is one complete piece.

What holds it in place are metal grips inside of that channel component and what seals it is the 'goop' that oozes out when you press it down onto the hatch lip. That whiteish goopy stuff is the sealant and you really want that there. If it's oozing out your loosing your sealant material. I suppose when you pull the strip off to clean there, your probably seeing this stuff all over.

Where can you buy what? As I said before (I think here) when you press the new weatherstrip down onto that lip, it breaks open the sealant and it oozes out and seals the gaps. I don't believe it's designed to be removed and re-installed often. Otherwise your loosing some of your seal.

Get notified of new replies

To weatherstripping ??

Quick Reply: weatherstripping ??