C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Best Cold Air Induction?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2005, 08:44 AM
Achilleus07
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Cold Air Induction?

Im looking at getting a 1996 LT4 this weekend...everything is settled I just have to go look at it and pick it up. The first thing im doing is throwing on some corsa catback exhaust. I also want to put on a cold air induction at the same time to get maximum sound and output. What is the best kind? I know SLP has been working with GM for years and thats where im leaning right now. Lets hear those opinions...
Old 09-13-2005, 09:35 AM
Wildcat1
Racer

The forced air induction kit from mid america is by far the best cold air kit.
Old 09-13-2005, 11:14 AM
vader86
Team Owner

Received 1,404 Likes on 1,019 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

The SLP one is not a true CAI for your years, you need one that cuts a hole in the shroud to get the cold air, and that one doesnt. It just sounds and looks nice.

Don't expect noticable power gains from something like this either.
Old 09-13-2005, 11:24 AM
Gary04Z06
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by vader86
The SLP one is not a true CAI for your years, you need one that cuts a hole in the shroud to get the cold air, and that one doesnt. It just sounds and looks nice.

Don't expect noticable power gains from something like this either.
Congrats on the LT4, youl'll love it. As was said, there is no real cold air package out there. The Vortex is the closest, but its junk from what I hear. The type that goes through the front license plate is good though.
Old 09-13-2005, 11:51 AM
ElisTwoCents
Le Mans Master

Received 420 Likes on 234 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06,'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Originally Posted by Wildcat1
The forced air induction kit from mid america is by far the best cold air kit.

Speaking of I have to go clean out my K&N soon
Old 09-13-2005, 05:06 PM
Perfusion
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't waste the money, unless you want the kit solely for looks. A K&N panel filter combined with an open lid (aka "cut" lid) will flow as high as any of the more expensive kits out there. Furthermore, the "cold" part of "cold air" is b.s. Someone did a test here using temp probes under the hood and in the coupling between the filter and the throttle body. Sitting at idle, yes, the underhood temps climbed and caused the intake air temperature to increase. Once moving, however, the air that was coming into the engine was identical to the outside temperature within a few seconds. Any "heat soak" was gone. You can't get any colder than that.

Now if it's *ram* air that you want, the only system I know of that's currently in production is the setup by A/O Engineering, available from MidAmerica Motorworks. It draws air from the factory front license plate location, but it's my understanding that the installation is fairly labor intensive and requires a good bit of cutting.... Additionally, if you live in a state where front plates are required, that's another .

In my opinion, get a K&N and cut your lid, or even better - buy an open lid from MidAmerica. You'll get all the ponies you would've gotten with the other, more expensive systems, and your wallet won't be anywhere near as light.
Old 09-13-2005, 06:37 PM
chevy406
Tech Contributor

Received 48 Likes on 28 Posts

I made a little test last weekend on my trip to the dragstrip. My times with stock air breather and paper filter were 8.78 and 8.71 (1/8 mile). The third pass I took the air breather completely off, and just left the inlet hose. That pass was a 8.73. Basically there is zero performance loss in a stock air breather as long as the element is clean - at least in the 1/8 mile. With fast mph in the ¼, a ram air system may make an improvement.
Old 09-13-2005, 07:08 PM
Wildcat1
Racer

I too made that 8th mile test. I just removed the K&N from my ram-air system though and it netted no difference in times or mph. I did win a trophy that pass though.

Some may say the battery should have been unplugged to let the computer reprogram itself and the car should have been driven across town and all that though.

Chevy406, your test is more interesting than mine being that you have the stock box and all. Whomever owned my car before me seems to have wasted around $700 on this intake system. Maybe if I were in the 10s, it may make a difference then.
Old 09-13-2005, 10:25 PM
Achilleus07
Racer

Where is the cheapest place to find an open air filter box? I dont really want to cut my factory one. Ive look everywhere and cant find them.
Old 09-13-2005, 10:47 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,485 Likes on 1,947 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Madvet doesn't have them? Corvette Central, Zip, etc.

Ck that. Madvet's got it.
Old 09-13-2005, 10:55 PM
Perfusion
Race Director

Originally Posted by Achilleus07
Where is the cheapest place to find an open air filter box? I dont really want to cut my factory one. Ive look everywhere and cant find them.
MidAmerica Motorworks:

http://www.madvet.com/shop?frame=3.12.782

I have the metal one...to me (used to live in AZ), it was worth it to have the piece of mind during those hot summers that I didn't have a plastic lid warping under the hood in traffic.

Oh, and I grew up in Alpharetta, so I know how hot it gets in Hotlanta! You might consider the metal one as well...
Old 09-13-2005, 10:55 PM
CentralCoaster
Team Owner

Location: San Diego , CA Double Yellow DirtBags 1985..Z51..6-speed
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Drive it for 6 months and enjoy it before you start spending $ on mods. Once you start, it only gets worse.

It's no slouch off the showroom floor.
Old 09-13-2005, 11:02 PM
Achilleus07
Racer

Thanks...I'll do the metal one from there. Im not modding the car a ton. Im going to pick up a Black LT4 this weekend..... So Im just strapping on an open air box and corsa exhaust. Then I already have original ZR-1 wheels taken off an old junkyard ZR1 I found that are in perfect condition and painted black. Im thinking Black vette with those upgrades...then I might paint the calipers red and throw on the grand sport red stripes because I have the grand sport engine. I will throw up pics later on in the week. Im thinking it will turn out looking pretty freaking good if I say so myself.
Old 09-13-2005, 11:07 PM
Corvette0096
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a SLP and love the thing.. Came with a K&N to.
Old 09-13-2005, 11:42 PM
Perfusion
Race Director

Originally Posted by Achilleus07
Thanks...I'll do the metal one from there. Im not modding the car a ton. Im going to pick up a Black LT4 this weekend..... So Im just strapping on an open air box and corsa exhaust. Then I already have original ZR-1 wheels taken off an old junkyard ZR1 I found that are in perfect condition and painted black. Im thinking Black vette with those upgrades...then I might paint the calipers red and throw on the grand sport red stripes because I have the grand sport engine. I will throw up pics later on in the week. Im thinking it will turn out looking pretty freaking good if I say so myself.
If they are true OEM wheels off of a ZR1, the offset is different on the 11" rear wheels than on that of the '96 Grand Sport. They'll bolt up fine, but you'll probably notice that they stick out more than you had originally expected.
Old 09-14-2005, 01:23 AM
OdinsRage
Instructor

FOLKS FOLKS FOLKS

lets remember at WOT, the air is moving SO FAST (36feet per second) That the air will not pick up any heat!

So just gotta make sure its not sucking air in directly by a heat source
Old 09-14-2005, 01:30 PM
drochau
Racer

n20 is pretty good cold air sprayed in the intake. you'll actually feel the hp too

Get notified of new replies

To Best Cold Air Induction?

Quick Reply: Best Cold Air Induction?