C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Lowering a 92 ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2005, 03:10 AM
Battlesmurf
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Lowering a 92 ?

Anybody ever done this? Silly question, I know-I'm just used to slapping in some lowering springs and such, but I hear that you can just adjust a bolt on these things?

Grant
Old 09-11-2005, 05:17 AM
john25
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've lowered several cars including my own. The rear is easy, just change the adjustment bolts to the longer ones. The front is another story. Unless you have good mechanical skills, leave it to someone whon knows how. Anyway, the point I want to make is, make sure you leave a "rake" in it. By that I mean, make the rear a little bit higher than the front (at least an inch). Don't make them even. If you do, you'll soon see why it's best to leave a little rake.
Old 09-11-2005, 11:47 AM
FDAMFA
Intermediate

Dont lower it. The Vette is set up to handle best when it is built. You can add new high performance parts but it was built to ride a certain height. Vettes handle well and are pretty low already. Just my two cents worth.
Old 09-11-2005, 11:56 AM
C5Jimmy
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FDAMFA
Dont lower it. The Vette is set up to handle best when it is built. You can add new high performance parts but it was built to ride a certain height. Vettes handle well and are pretty low already. Just my two cents worth.

I don't know, I don't think it should be lowered, IMHO they are just fine as is, especially C4's It might be impractical to drive then worrying about your ground clearance.

IMHO lowering and oversize wheels, leave that to the C5 crowd!
Old 09-11-2005, 12:17 PM
L71Maynard
Instructor

Originally Posted by john25
I've lowered several cars including my own. The rear is easy, just change the adjustment bolts to the longer ones. The front is another story. Unless you have good mechanical skills, leave it to someone whon knows how. Anyway, the point I want to make is, make sure you leave a "rake" in it. By that I mean, make the rear a little bit higher than the front (at least an inch). Don't make them even. If you do, you'll soon see why it's best to leave a little rake.

Can you explain what lowering the rear will affect? I just bought a '92 and the last owner lowered the rear so that there is no rake in the car.

Thanks,
Dave
Old 09-11-2005, 04:32 PM
irokru
Instructor

run it up to around a buck and a quarter, then let me know how light the front gets.
Old 09-15-2005, 10:08 AM
L71Maynard
Instructor

I ran it up to 142 and it was stable. If that is the only concern about lowering the rear then I'm in good shape.

Thanks for the info.
Dave
Old 09-15-2005, 10:52 AM
aboatguy
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Battlesmurf
Anybody ever done this? Silly question, I know-I'm just used to slapping in some lowering springs and such, but I hear that you can just adjust a bolt on these things?

Grant
Here is the answer to your question:
Lowering the C4 is not any more difficult than lowering the average car and they are much cheaper to lower Lowering the rear is so easy that it makes the front seem more difficult than it really is. The front requires the removal of the front spring. Check out this link

IMHO C4s look better slammed. My lowering kit is supposed to be here today or tomorrow.

You should get a four wheel alignment when done.

Mike

Last edited by aboatguy; 09-15-2005 at 10:57 AM.
Old 09-15-2005, 12:01 PM
SSLT1KID
Racer

make sure to post pics of your vette once you get the lowering kit on. personaly i cant imagine how lowering a C4 would make it perform worse and i think it looks great. so the only arguement i can think of not to lower is because it might be "impractical", but then again exactly how practical are our cars anyway?
Old 09-15-2005, 12:34 PM
Battlesmurf
Instructor

Originally Posted by SSLT1KID
make sure to post pics of your vette once you get the lowering kit on. personaly i cant imagine how lowering a C4 would make it perform worse and i think it looks great. so the only arguement i can think of not to lower is because it might be "impractical", but then again exactly how practical are our cars anyway?
http://speedracerx.myphotoalbum.com/...album02&page=1

The one in question is the red one (the buick and eclipse were the wife's). The more I look at it, the more I think It'll need bigger rims if lowered, the more I don't want to lower it anymore ; ) (besides, I don't want to play with the extra $$ to find rims that wide in a bigger size) It just seems to sit up awful high (look at the *** end in the pictures).
Old 09-15-2005, 06:13 PM
JEFNLSA
Melting Slicks

I lowered mine (front & rear) a few months ago. No regrets whatsoever.
Definitely gives it a meaner look...

Old 09-15-2005, 07:34 PM
Battlesmurf
Instructor

Nice looking vette : )
Old 09-16-2005, 12:33 PM
purplemajesty
Racer

I'm with you on the lowered look

Check out my photos
Old 09-17-2005, 01:03 AM
BRICHC4
Pro

I really need to lower mine, and the bigger wheels and lowered car, not just the c5 crowd ya know, question with your cars being lowered to you have a problem with the tires rubbing, my only concern is i'm running 305's in the rear, and I want to close that tire gap as much as possible. That look is very cool on those here who have done it
Old 09-17-2005, 01:12 AM
JrRifleCoach
Team Owner

Location: Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
Received 640 Likes on 444 Posts
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Good Point.
Altering the ride height from stock reduces suspension up travel and creates some undesireable handling behaviors. I dropped Rose abit too much. She looks great! Although crossing over RR tracks and dips in the road can be a shock on the spine when the suspension bottoms out.

Its your car to do with as you please. Just remember to cut back the bump stops or she'll bounce down the road like those little ricers.

Old 09-17-2005, 02:13 AM
sami85L98
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I want to lower on rear on stock bolts (make a drill hole at the bottom of bolt about an inch) because front already look lowered but rear too high. Is this possible on stock bolts?.
Old 09-17-2005, 03:21 AM
JrRifleCoach
Team Owner

Location: Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
Received 640 Likes on 444 Posts
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by sami85L98
I want to lower on rear on stock bolts (make a drill hole at the bottom of bolt about an inch) because front already look lowered but rear too high. Is this possible on stock bolts?.
Yes. You can also restack the rear spring shim pack. Move all the shims to the bottom of the spring. This will give about an inch plus of drop.
Old 09-17-2005, 11:59 AM
dchildress
Pro

I have a 94 that is black with black a molds, red calipers, new slotted, cross drilled rotors, tinted windows, light covers all the way around, and a BEAUTIFUL Corsa exhaust poking out the rear. It looks absolutely sinister rolling down the road. I bought it lowered. If I had my choice, I would not have lowered it. I've owned the car 3 years and replaced the 3 piece spoiler 3 times. I have all but destroyed the drain plug for the tranny. I own oil change shops and the exhaust drags the steel around the pits everytime I pull in. Curbs, speed bumps, parking chocks, pot holes, 20oz Coke bottles, road kill, and rough driveways are the enemies. I get sick of scraping road kill off the chasis. The front spoiler sits only 2" off the road. Lowering it also reduced wheel travel 1.5" and you hit the bump stops earlier. Almost every moderate to large bump can be felt to the spine. I can't install an R & D Cross brace (which I really want). Just a few things to think about.
Old 09-17-2005, 03:44 PM
aboatguy
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

BEFORE

AFTER

I am going to try to drop the rear a tad more.

Mike

Last edited by aboatguy; 09-17-2005 at 09:09 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Lowering a 92 ?

Quick Reply: Lowering a 92 ?