C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Targa Top Separating

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2005, 01:33 PM
MarkBychowski
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Targa Top Separating

I tried the search, but couldn't find anything on this specific problem:

I have a bronze/clear Astro top (I know, don't start with me on that ). It's actually been fine for the past few years. However, I recently noticed that the glass is starting to separate from the frame in the back. The weatherstripping is all fine, the frame is solid, and there are no cracks in the glass.

I called melrose and they said it would be about $100 to reglue the glass to the frame. I was wondering if anyone has "tried this at home." I'm not trying to be overly cheap, but if it's something I can do relatively easy, I'm up for it. It's my second top anyway, so I'm not in a hurry.

Thanks!
Old 09-02-2005, 02:15 PM
KCcorvette
Advanced

I tried black auto silicon but it didn't hold. I'm pretty sure it can be done, you just need to figure out what kind of glue to use. I laid a 2x4 across the bottom and used these trigger type clamps to hold it down while it dried, but again you need to find the right type of glue. I haven't tried any others yet.
Old 09-02-2005, 06:20 PM
Redeasysport
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06

There is a product called Weld-On it is an acryllic glue I used it to repair a crack in mine and it is stronger than the plastic.You will need a Hypo syringe to use it an a little goes a looong way but it should do the trick.Use google to find it.
I bet Melrose uses this.

http://www.rplastics.com/weldonguide.html
http://www.ipscorp.com/ind_html/productGuide.html

I used #3 but it appears #10 or #45 would be what you want.They are not clear like #3 but are for acryllic to metal bonding.

Last edited by Redeasysport; 09-02-2005 at 08:10 PM.
Old 09-03-2005, 06:34 AM
4bblC4
Racer

sicaflex. can get it from a winshield shop. They use it to bond on winshields. strong stuff.
Old 09-05-2005, 12:25 AM
MarkBychowski
Melting Slicks

Thanks guys! I think I'll give it a shot -- sounds like a good weekend project for the winter...

Get notified of new replies

To Targa Top Separating

Quick Reply: Targa Top Separating