C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Can you replace just the power antenna mast on an 89 coupe??

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2005, 11:08 PM
jzvette
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can you replace just the power antenna mast on an 89 coupe??

I know you can replace just the pwr mast on new cars, can it be done on an 89 coupe. My antenna motor works fine, but my mast is kinda curved. jzvette
Old 08-07-2005, 11:12 PM
bogus
Team Owner

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

should be able to.

call Chris May at Superior Chevy, 1.800.728.8267, and tell him you are a forum member and that I sent ya.
Old 08-08-2005, 08:17 AM
onedef92
Team Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

You can try and I certainly would. But, if the problem persists, more than likely you have a broken section of ribbon off the old mast lodged inside the antenna motor assembly.

If that's the case, you'll have to remove the motor and see if you can open it. If you can't you'll have to replace the entire assembly.
Old 08-08-2005, 08:52 AM
jzvette
Racer

I don't believe my antenna ribbon is broken. It goes up all the way and down all the way. The problem is that the antenna is kinda curved alittle. I can live with it as opposed to replacing the complete antenna motor, but if I can just replace the mast and ribbon I would do it. I know that on newer cars you have to unscrew the plastic antenna cap where it mounts to car, then pull the antenna mast and ribbon out when you turn the radio on. Then install the new ribbon and mast by manually feeding it into the motor at the right angle and turning the radio off and the antenna will go back into motor. I just didn't know if GM offers a replacement mast for 89 covettes. jzvette
Old 08-08-2005, 12:35 PM
Z51L9889
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, you can replace just the mast. I had to do that several years ago on my 89 because the ribbon broke.
Old 08-08-2005, 02:28 PM
sting ry
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I am currently replacing the mast on my 87 roadster. Your's is a different style but I believe the process will be similar to mine. First of all, if yours is just bent, I would try to gently straighten the mast, who knows, might work!! nothing lost if you are going to replace it. Here's what it takes to replace the mast. Jack up the car, remove the driver's side tire and wheel, remove the inner wheelhouse to gain access to the antenna. Access the antenna relay in the cargo area of the interior. Pretty simple with the vert, may involve more with a coupe. unplug the antenna wiring from the relay and unplug the cable from the cable going to the radio. This may be difficult (see my other post in this forum). I removed the rear marker light to help with removing the antenna. You have to remove the mast from the antenna bezel and unbolt two bolts to remove the entire unit. After you get it out, you will have to disassemble the moter/gearbox unit (on mine I had to drill out 4 hollow rivets and 4 c-clips) to install the new mast. I just ordered the new mast, so I haven't replaced the old mast yet. I don't think it will be to bad according to the service manual. The replacement mast for your 89 is about $40, most of the Corvette supply houses have them.

Cheers
Steve
Old 08-08-2005, 04:59 PM
jzvette
Racer

sting ry,
On most cars with power antennas you don't have to remove the complete motor to replace the mast and ribbon. If your going through all the trouble to take the motor out, you might as well replace the whole unit. It seems to me to be alot of work to replace the mast and take a chance on your motor dumping on you in the near future. Ecklers sells a replacement unit complete for $89.99 for your car. I believe OEM is $129 and a mast is about $20. I don't know but what your doing to get to your motor, I think I would just replace it. I looking to see if someone has replaced their mast without disconnecting everything. I've replaced many a mast like this on newer cars and just haven't gotten around to doing it on my car yet. If you can get the antenna guide cap off (where it connects the the body) you can do the mast replacement without pulling the tire and disconnecting all those wires. I just wanted to see if anyone out there has done it before. I just find it hard to believe you have to take motor out and apart to replace mast. jzvette
Old 08-09-2005, 09:11 AM
onedef92
Team Owner

Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

I've replaced the mast on my '92. But I think it's a different antenna motor than on an 87. You can look in the Tech Tips section for the article I wrote. I take you through the entire motor removal process.

You only have to do this if your mast is not opening and closing completely. If it is, I would simply replace the mast first.

There's no sense in going through the hassle of removing the motor if you just need to replace your mast. If you replace the mast and your antenna still hesitates to raise and lower properly, then you will have to remove the entire unit, open it up to get at the broken sections of mast within, seal it back, re-install it, and thread your replacement mast down the hole.

Again, it all depends on your circumstances.
Old 08-09-2005, 09:30 AM
sting ry
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Everything that I have done is straight out of the service manual, there is no way to replace the mast and the cable without disassembling the entire motor assembly. The cable that connects to the mast physically hooks into the drum that it coils around. jzvette, I will probably replace the entire unit after opening it up and looking inside. In 88, GM switched to a different style. Possibly these can be changed without removing the entire unit.
Old 08-09-2005, 09:35 AM
onedef92
Team Owner

Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Sucks. I can see why they changed the design, then. I have a '92 and I was able to remove the motor without cutting any power wires. It has a connector that plugs into the antenna motor housing.
Old 08-09-2005, 04:37 PM
jzvette
Racer

sting ry,
I hear what your saying. I also thought after I posted that if you have a broken ribbon stuck in your motor then you have to take it apart or replace it. Following the manual is good, but if you can find an easier way, that's good also. I'm hope to be able to replace my mast without taking the motor apart. I'm going to try and get a mast at Carlisle at the end of the month. Thanks everyone who has posted and any more info on a 89 antenna mast replacement is welcome. jzvette

Get notified of new replies

To Can you replace just the power antenna mast on an 89 coupe??

Quick Reply: Can you replace just the power antenna mast on an 89 coupe??