C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Smoke...

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2005, 08:56 PM
RadPolo96
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smoke...

Today I noticed that my car had a bad 90 degree hose on the drivers sidethat goes from the intake manifold to a hard line that runs under the Trottle body. I also noticed that one of the nutts on the egr valve was lose to I tightened it. Replaced the hose and tightened a nutt. Now im getting smoke coming fromback of manifold. Very light smoke. White.
Old 08-06-2005, 10:57 PM
bogus
Team Owner

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

degrease the back of the engine and see if it goes away.

It could also be one of the steam release lines on the back of the head that is weaping.
Old 08-06-2005, 11:01 PM
RadPolo96
Drifting

It takes a little while for it to start smoking. If I have the engine runnin and I put my nose over the egr valve it is very strong. Just a light haze smoke but very pungent. Possible bad EGR?
Old 08-06-2005, 11:08 PM
bogus
Team Owner

could be a bad EGR, or the gasket got pinched...
Old 08-06-2005, 11:13 PM
RadPolo96
Drifting

Hmm, Car runs fine. Could smoke actually come out of th valve itself? I did add a Oil catch can today but that wouldnt have anything to do with it would it?
Old 08-06-2005, 11:58 PM
yellow dragon
Instructor

might just be oil on the manifold burning off, but thats just my .02$
Old 08-07-2005, 02:09 AM
VetteNoob
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The 90* hose he is talking about is the pcv elbow that goes to the PCV check valve on the driver's side of the intake manifold. The metal line that goes under the front of the TB is a vaccum line of some sort.

Does anyone have a diagram of the LT1 PCV system? Would ANYTHING in the PCV system cause the light smoke?
Old 08-07-2005, 11:31 AM
RadPolo96
Drifting

Well turns out the smoke is from a oil leak. Havent found where its comin from but its somewhere on drivers side and managed to spray on headerand most of the underside of the drivers side. The thing that scares me is that ther is only a couple of drops on the garage floor but I managed to go through almost a quart of oil ona 40 mile drive. Any Ideas?
Old 08-07-2005, 02:36 PM
bogus
Team Owner

Originally Posted by VetteNoob
The 90* hose he is talking about is the pcv elbow that goes to the PCV check valve on the driver's side of the intake manifold. The metal line that goes under the front of the TB is a vaccum line of some sort.

Does anyone have a diagram of the LT1 PCV system? Would ANYTHING in the PCV system cause the light smoke?
actually, yes... if the PCV was leaking, it sure would cause a vapour or mist of smoke. The gick inside an engine is rather nasty, really. Steam off oil... combustion blow by... yuck.
Old 08-07-2005, 02:40 PM
bogus
Team Owner

Originally Posted by RadPolo96
Well turns out the smoke is from a oil leak. Havent found where its comin from but its somewhere on drivers side and managed to spray on headerand most of the underside of the drivers side. The thing that scares me is that ther is only a couple of drops on the garage floor but I managed to go through almost a quart of oil ona 40 mile drive. Any Ideas?
Wow. I would start with valve covers... but that's a lot of oil to be going through.

I am trying to remember... is the timing gear pressure oiled? or gravity? I am thinking it's pressurized to get there, but the bulk of the work is via gravity.

Can you see if the oil is on the FRONT of the motor and getting on the belt?

I would carefully degrease the engine (simple green and a light hosing) and then add oil and dye to the system. Drive it around and hit it with the dye light. Autozone is selling a kit now that has the glasses and light for like $25.00. Seems like a good deal.
Old 08-07-2005, 10:47 PM
RadPolo96
Drifting

Well it looks like its either the intake manifold gasket in the back or leaking oil pressure sending unit.
Old 08-07-2005, 11:13 PM
bogus
Team Owner

I am betting on the oil pressure sending unit.

Get notified of new replies

To Smoke...

Quick Reply: Smoke...