C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Gut or Buy Bracket? AIR Pump

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2005, 05:02 PM
Metamando
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gut or Buy Bracket? AIR Pump

Well, my AIR pump has finally failed...I have a miserable whine coming from it. Looking for the best way to eliminate it, as it really does nothing but rob power...I thought there was a tech article, but can't locate it.

sorry, 88 L98

Last edited by Metamando; 07-28-2005 at 06:08 PM.
Old 07-25-2005, 05:23 PM
Metamando
Instructor

OK, found 2 tech articles, but what if its the pulley?
Old 07-25-2005, 09:48 PM
pipe
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Why don't ya take all that air pump stuff off and cap off the exhaust and free up some power unless ya want to keep her stock looking or have a problem gettin it inspected. Breathless Performance sells the air pump delete bracket & pulley. Or fab one up yourself if ya feel ambitious.
Old 07-26-2005, 08:36 AM
theguardian
Advanced

Default Link for an Air Pump Bypass...

This is the one to buy... there's probably (at least) one other that I know of (I bought it from Breathless, I think). The BP product is OK... BUT you will have problems with flexing and if you should decide to add a Camber Brace, it will be near impossible to do (buddy of mine tried). I deleted my BP bypass and bought the one in the link below. It's a MUCH better product (far less flexing) and won't interfere w/a Camber Brace install.

https://home.comcast.net/~dragonbreathe/new_page_12.htm
Old 07-26-2005, 08:48 AM
AGENT 86
Race Director

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Here is some info on the one i built http://members.shaw.ca/dankai/Air%20...Delete%20Info/

Old 07-26-2005, 05:24 PM
Metamando
Instructor

Sorry to beat a dead horse, but I just dont have 125+ bucks to buy one of these kits. They all look like they cost about 10 bucks to make, but I dont have the shop or time to make my own...
I think I remember someone posting about just gutting out the insides of the original, all I really need is the bracket to hold the alternator, but Im worried that I will go to all the trouble to gut the thing, only to realise the armature is bad. Then what? I know I don't need the pump, all that other crap is coming off, but that bracket is worth half my headers (almost).
Other options???

PS, I already have the camber brace...and Nice job, Agent 86

Last edited by Metamando; 07-26-2005 at 05:27 PM.
Old 07-27-2005, 08:04 PM
Metamando
Instructor

Removed AIR pump today, now what do I do with all those hoses and wires?????
Old 07-28-2005, 06:09 AM
Metamando
Instructor

please?
Old 07-28-2005, 08:05 AM
WNDOPDLR
Burning Brakes

This is a pretty straight forward fix. I have an 88 also and this was one of the first things I did. You say you have already removed the air pump, so I will assume you have gutted the pump, removed the fiber vanes and can reinstall the pump so that your belt fits. I will further assume that emissions are not a problem where you live. All fo the wires and plumbing that are associated with the air pump can safely be eliminated. Most of the rubber hoses run to a selenoid that sits on the right side of the engine between the AC & TB. This selenoid can be removed and all of the lines removed. Just tape up any electrical connections and tie wrap them where they are out of harms way. Two of the lines go to your exhaust manifolds and the connection at the manifold will need to be capped. There is a line that runs to the cat and it can be removed and capped at the cat. That should about do it. If I forgot anything just post and I will try to watch the thread.
Old 07-28-2005, 10:12 AM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 377 Likes on 312 Posts

You can remove all the tubes plus the plastic diverter box. To cap the exhaust tubes you can take off the check valve and find a fitting to screw on, use rubber end caps on the tubes, or use 3/4" bolts to plug the rubber tubes. If you have rebar laying around you can cut a piece of that to and use some sealant. I've been thinking of porting the manifolds and tapping the holes for a plug.
Old 07-28-2005, 05:59 PM
Metamando
Instructor

Thanks guys...will the rubber caps blow off? I assume there's exhaust coming through the metal tubes, unless there's some kinda valve in there? Will return with more questions if I need to...
Old 07-29-2005, 12:27 PM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 377 Likes on 312 Posts

At the end of the exhaust manifold air tube there is a black round device toward the front of the car, that is the one way check valve.
Old 07-29-2005, 09:15 PM
Metamando
Instructor

Originally Posted by Aardwolf
At the end of the exhaust manifold air tube there is a black round device toward the front of the car, that is the one way check valve.
Thx, Aardwolf, I discovered that, and these can come off too, go to Home Depot, and get 2- 1/2 inch brass caps, and Bob's yer Uncle!

BTW, the one tube next to the water pump just goes to outside, just yank it...
I left intact the one that goes to the cat...check valve and all, this will come off when I finally get my headers!
Old 07-30-2005, 03:56 AM
86PACER
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Metamando
I think I remember someone posting about just gutting out the insides of the original, all I really need is the bracket to hold the alternator, but Im worried that I will go to all the trouble to gut the thing, only to realise the armature is bad.
It only takes a few minutes after you have the AIR Pump sitting on a bench to "gut" it. It's very easy to do. This is what I did as I just count not justify the cost of an eliminator pulley. Try this, it might be all you need afterall.
Old 07-30-2005, 09:47 AM
vettefun
Racer

Originally Posted by 86PACER
It only takes a few minutes after you have the AIR Pump sitting on a bench to "gut" it. It's very easy to do. This is what I did as I just count not justify the cost of an eliminator pulley. Try this, it might be all you need afterall.

I just got done doing this myself. Indeed, very simple and no more noisy AIR pump!

Last edited by vettefun; 07-30-2005 at 09:49 AM.
Old 07-30-2005, 10:03 AM
korvette4u
Drifting

Originally Posted by Metamando
Well, my AIR pump has finally failed...I have a miserable whine coming from it. Looking for the best way to eliminate it, as it really does nothing but rob power...I thought there was a tech article, but can't locate it.

sorry, 88 L98
gutting the pump is the cheApest repair, make sure when doing that that the rear bearing of the pump is well lubricated. others have choosen to eliminate it totally.

check these links:http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...48&forum_id=55

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...4u&forum_id=55

http://members.shaw.ca/vettek/newmod.JPG

Last edited by korvette4u; 07-30-2005 at 10:15 AM.
Old 07-30-2005, 02:27 PM
GIJoe
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Originally Posted by pipe
Why don't ya take all that air pump stuff off and cap off the exhaust and free up some power unless ya want to keep her stock looking or have a problem gettin it inspected. Breathless Performance sells the air pump delete bracket & pulley. Or fab one up yourself if ya feel ambitious.
i bought this kit... looks greats!!!
its a tad expensive though for what it is, but I guess thats the price to pay for R&D when fabbing something like this.... oh well.... it was still worth it to me when my pump went...

Get notified of new replies

To Gut or Buy Bracket? AIR Pump

Quick Reply: Gut or Buy Bracket? AIR Pump