C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

New Vette Owner

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2005, 10:37 PM
Nubby
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Vette Owner

Hello all.... I recently just purchased my first vette 93 6spd black/black 42K miles car was in mint condition. I have been reading the forum for sometime and all the temp threads have caught my attention. I know the car has been well taken care of with regular oil changes. The only things (that I know of) that have been changed from stock are the vette has been lowered and a hyper chip has been installed. My concern is (and not being a mechanic) that the car seems to run hot....

95* humid South Dakota weather with a/c on...

80-85 MPH 1 1/2 hours on the road

Oil temp 225-230*
Coolant - 200- 220*
Engine 210-215*

Stop and go traffice the engine temp climbs around the 230+*

Should I be concerned? I really enjoy my first vette and all the head turns I get!!! But want to make sure I am doing everything possible to make this car last for awhile!!

Other questions .... opionons on flushing the tranny fliud and coolant system?

I have ckecked into a new tstat and they are telling me that the hyper tech kit is the way to go, it comes with the relay and all parts for $40, I am I assuming that this is an easy job?? Or am I missing something?

As I mentioned above, the previous owner of the vette said that he had a hyperchip installed, Is there any easy way to verify this and what is actually programmed into the chip?

I was directed to this forum from the general, in regards to finding a paper that will give me step bye step instructions on pulling and cleaning the radiator. Can someone lead me in the right direction...

Thanks in advance....sorry for all the questions, just thought I would ask since I do not claim to be a mechanic!
Old 07-20-2005, 10:46 PM
86C4EVER
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to the Forum.
I know that lots of folks will chime in with answers to your questions.
One thing I would sugest is that you talk to the last owner and ask him for the stock chip. You will need it if you ever have the car serviced at a dealership, and if the computer gives you problem, you will be able to figure out if it is the chip or the computer.
Fred
Old 07-21-2005, 12:07 AM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Welcome to the Forum and congrats on your new '93 Vette.

That sounds about right for a stock Vette as they are designed to run hot. You might pull the radiator shroud and check for debris that collects between the A/C condensor and the radiator.

If you install a lower temp T-stat and a chip to bring on the fans around that temp it should help to keep temps around the 200deg range in traffic with the A/C on.
Old 07-21-2005, 12:20 AM
jabez
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats Have fun fighting off all the chicks

Get notified of new replies

To New Vette Owner

Quick Reply: New Vette Owner