C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Corvette complete independent rear suspension Dimensions?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2005, 01:22 AM
scourge
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Corvette complete independent rear suspension Dimensions?

I did a search prior to posting this thread. I was hoping to find it and if it exists, some please tell me so that this thread can fall to the bottom of the page.

It seems as though the Vette IRS subframe makes an excellent swap for kit-cars/replicars/upgrade for people wanting great handling and as C4 parts are generally less expensive than C5 parts, I think it best to start searching out dimensions on the C4.

From disk to disk, just how long is the subframe?

From the most extreme point in the front to the rear, just how long is it?

From the most bottom point to the most top point, just how long is it?

Is the C4 subframe appreciably different than the C5? I'd like to go as new as possible at the best price and I would like to make sure the subframe fits the dimensions of the swap.

thanks to everyone for their help.
Old 07-16-2005, 04:02 PM
scourge
Advanced

The measurements aren't common knowledge?
Old 07-16-2005, 05:34 PM
CFI-EFI
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by scourge
If they were, you'd know the answers, right? The average Corvette owner doesn't deal with these dimensions. It's the rod builder that has to make one fit something other than an original car, that might know. Do you know these dimensions for YOUR daily driver? Do you even know your wheelbase, without looking it up. Mine is 96". Most of us DYIers know the spec for our fuel pressure and our ignition timing, but I can't remember the last time I had to deal with knowing, "From disk to disk, just how long is the subframe?

Is the C4 subframe appreciably different than the C5?
", and that includes tearing it down to totally re-bush it, or change the wheel bearings, or to change all 6 u joints.
To answer your question, "The measurements aren't common knowledge? "...NO! Not to any Corvette owner, and why would/should they be?

RACE ON!!!

Last edited by CFI-EFI; 07-16-2005 at 05:37 PM.
Old 07-16-2005, 05:39 PM
CFI-EFI
Race Director

If they were, you'd know the answers, right? The average Corvette owner doesn't deal with these dimensions. It's the rod builder that has to make one fit something other than an original car, that might know. Do you know these dimensions for YOUR daily driver? Do you even know your wheelbase, without looking it up. Mine is 96". Most of us DYIers know the spec for our fuel pressure and our ignition timing, but I can't remember the last time I had to deal with knowing, "From disk to disk, just how long is the subframe?

Is the C4 subframe appreciably different than the C5?
", and that includes tearing it down to totally re-bush it, or change the wheel bearings, or to change all 6 u joints.
To answer your question, "The measurements aren't common knowledge? "...NO! Not to any Corvette owner, and why would/should they be?

RACE ON!!!
Old 07-16-2005, 06:02 PM
scourge
Advanced

Well, this is the TECH/PERFORMANCE Forum, so it makes sense to think that poeple who post here are quite familar with the TECH/PERFORMANCE aspects of the C4. If I am wrong then I will have to look elsewhere but it seemed logical to ask Vette guys in a tech forum about their cars just as it is reasonable to assume that perhaps some Vette owner has wanted to swap a C5 subframe onto a C4.

One doesn't know without asking. I'm not clairvoyant.
Old 07-16-2005, 08:05 PM
VenkmanP
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

There is no subframe. As stated above you'll probably find more useful info on a forum for people who use vette parts to build rods rather than a corvette forum.

Not saying you aren't welcome! Just offering advice.
Old 07-16-2005, 08:49 PM
CFI-EFI
Race Director

Well, this is the TECH/PERFORMANCE Forum, so it makes sense to think that poeple who post here are quite familar with the TECH/PERFORMANCE aspects of the C4. If I am wrong then I will have to look elsewhere but it seemed logical to ask Vette guys in a tech forum about their cars just as it is reasonable to assume that perhaps some Vette owner has wanted to swap a C5 subframe onto a C4.

I'm not saying that the information you seek isn't available here, but you act like were all a bunch of dummies because we don't know information we have no cause or need to know.
Quick! Without looking or measuring, what are those dimensions on YOUR daily driver.

RACE ON!!!
Old 07-16-2005, 08:55 PM
CFI-EFI
Race Director

I'm not saying that the information you seek isn't available here, but you act like we are all a bunch of dummies because we don't know information we have no cause or need to know.
Quick! Without looking or measuring, what are those dimensions on YOUR daily driver.

RACE ON!!!
Old 07-16-2005, 10:28 PM
scourge
Advanced

My daily driver doesn't have 50 years of history with hundreds of thousands of dedicated enthusiasts that east/sleep/breathe my car at a site dedicated to it with a forum existing for performance. So, your sensitive tiff is silly. You don't know and that's fine but this thing called the Internet is actually worldwide and on 24 hours a day 365 days a year.

It is quite possible and reasonable to assume that some point in time some Vette enthusiast would have looked and measured. I didn't come here to start any animosity so please take a chill pill dude.

-----

plus, I found this on EBAY:

Complete C4 IRS

Will ask the owner if he knows.

Last edited by scourge; 07-16-2005 at 10:50 PM.
Old 07-16-2005, 11:21 PM
aboatguy
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I did a search prior to posting this thread. I was hoping to find it and if it exists, some please tell me so that this thread can fall to the bottom of the page.

It seems as though the Vette IRS subframe makes an excellent swap for kit-cars/replicars/upgrade for people wanting great handling and as C4 parts are generally less expensive than C5 parts, I think it best to start searching out dimensions on the C4.

From disk to disk, just how long is the subframe?

Is the C4 subframe appreciably different than the C5? I'd like to go as new as possible at the best price and I would like to make sure the subframe fits the dimensions of the swap.

thanks to everyone for their help.
To answer one of your questions C4 has an IRS that is almost the same as the one introduced in 1963, whereas the C5 is a rear transaxle.

As for the measurements this is a C4 tech forum and no one really needs to know, what those measurement are when they are swapping D36s for D44s etc since they know it is a basic bolt in.
As others have already stated there is no sub frame
I think the pushback you are getting is due to your condescending nature of your secondary posts.
Since the C5 is a rear transaxle car most C4 guys have not considered a rear end swap. However, since the internet is on 24/7/365 you already knew that.

The front to rear length of the C4 differential is different between the D44 and a D36. The rotor to rotor widths are the same. The best thing to do is to call the seller and find out whether it is a D36 or a D44 and see if he/she will take the measurements for you. If it is a D36 and you are looking at a high horsepower manual tranmission project, I would pass and look for the Dana 44.

Good luck

Mike
Mike

Last edited by aboatguy; 07-16-2005 at 11:40 PM.
Old 07-16-2005, 11:45 PM
scourge
Advanced

I wasn't condescending.

Why is it so often that when a noob posts to ask a question and a regular poster is actually the one being condescending that all the other posters immediately and automatically jump on the regular's side?

This IS a tech forum populated by mroe than just one guy and this is why I posted here. Not condescending, just saying why I posted here. Sometimes it takes days to get a response but one can always hope to get one faster.

It seems that no one here really has to worry about the dimensions so its not something to know. This has been mentioned by others so its not an insult by me. I guess I will have to go to Hot Rodders forums to get the dimensions but it was logical to go to a Corvette board and ask here first.
Old 07-17-2005, 01:10 AM
artvette
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wasn't condescending.
No you're not. Just an irritant.

Go to a used car lot and measure one yourself. Maybe for a 20 spot they'll jack the car up and pull the wheels off for you.

Last edited by artvette; 07-17-2005 at 01:15 AM.
Old 07-17-2005, 01:16 AM
VenkmanP
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by aboatguy
The rotor to rotor widths are the same.
Isn't that measurement different between 84-87 and 88-96 cars?
Old 07-17-2005, 01:45 AM
scourge
Advanced

Originally Posted by artvette
No you're not. Just an irritant.
World is full of *******s and I see you're desperately trying to fit in...and succeeding.

Well, seems to be a difference here between the years here.
Old 07-17-2005, 12:12 PM
CFI-EFI
Race Director

My daily driver doesn't have 50 years of history with hundreds of thousands of dedicated enthusiasts that east/sleep/breathe my car at a site dedicated to it with a forum existing for performance. So, your sensitive tiff is silly.
My "sensitive tiff" is because ("The measurements aren't common knowledge?") you expect me to know more about my car, and act as though I'm some sort of dummy, because I don't, than you do about your car. Just because your car doesn't have the following that mine does, is that any excuse for you to lack the knowledge of your car that you expect I should have of mine? If you expect me ("common knowledge")to know something about my car, then you should know it about yours.

You don't know and that's fine but this thing called the Internet is actually worldwide and on 24 hours a day 365 days a year

It is quite possible and reasonable to assume that some point in time some Vette enthusiast would have looked and measured..
At the risk of repeating myself:
Originally Posted by CFI-EFI
I'm not saying that the information you seek isn't available here, but you act like we are all a bunch of dummies because we don't know information we have no cause or need to know.

I didn't come here to start any animosity so please take a chill pill dude.
So why did you?

RACE ON!!!
Old 07-17-2005, 12:28 PM
CFI-EFI
Race Director

I wasn't condescending.

Why is it so often that when a noob posts to ask a question and a regular poster is actually the one being condescending that all the other posters immediately and automatically jump on the regular's side?
Your head must be denser than an anvil. First, look up the word "condescending". Second, it wasn't the question that was out of line. A little unrealistic, maybe, but not out of line. It was the comment:
That was out of line.

World is full of *******s and I see you're desperately trying to fit in...and succeeding.
And you seem determined to set the pace for the world.

RACE ON!!!
Old 07-17-2005, 01:12 PM
aboatguy
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by steve9899
Yes, I thought I was stating that the D44 and D36 widths are the same. I should have used a comma instead of a period. However, There are many measurements and much fabrication that this cat will have to make to install this in a car. IE Batwing mount, mounts for the upper and lower spindle control rods in order to keep the suspension geometry correct for his project. With all the members that have spare rears, I am sure that someone on this forum has the information that he desires. However, a little patience, and civility go a long way!
Mike

Last edited by aboatguy; 07-17-2005 at 01:31 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Corvette complete independent rear suspension Dimensions?

Old 07-17-2005, 03:23 PM
scourge
Advanced

Originally Posted by CFI-EFI
you expect me to know more about my car, and act as though I'm some sort of dummy, because I don't, than you do about your car.
Dude, get a clue about reality. You're not important to me to any degree and I don't care that you don't know. That's fine. Now move along, because since you are useless your juvenile temper tantrum serves no purpose with others chiming in on the discussion.

aboatguy (Mike) , thanks for the reasoned reply. To get the answer, it may take a few weeks and that's fine. When one looks for information, its important to have patience and be open to all the possibilities/problems that are likely to arise.
Old 07-17-2005, 04:47 PM
bowtie racing
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My daily driver doesn't have 50 years of history ..

this thing called the Internet is actually worldwide and on 24 hours a day 365 days a year.
Since you seem to be quite aware of internets possibilities have you heard of GOOGLE ?? As you know its allso open 24h..

I found this link for you : http://www.hpsalvage.com/

And under specification (84-87)vette :

All aluminum independent rear with positrac
drum parking brakes incorporated into rear rotors
11 1/2" rotors Single piston aluminum calipers
Fiberglass leaf spring
Ratios 2.59, 2.79, 3.07
2 Models 36(7.875" ring gear) 44(8.5" ring gear)
Model 36 was used behind automatics
Model 44 behind manual transmissions
62" wide hub to hub with discs on
37 1/4" between batwing mounting bolts
44 1/2" between trailing arm mounting bracket bolts

Good luck with your project

Ps could you now tell us your daily driver?
Old 07-17-2005, 05:06 PM
65coop
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

scourge - I have a D44 out on the bench at the shop - I would be happy to measure it for you if you like....

I also have a D36 for sale if your interested - and.... I can ship it if needed

Last edited by 65coop; 07-17-2005 at 05:15 PM.

Quick Reply: Corvette complete independent rear suspension Dimensions?