C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Coolant Fan Not Coming On.

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2005, 06:44 PM
cplonner
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant Fan Not Coming On.

Hey guys,

My 86' just overheated today because the coolant fan would not come on. it has been working fine and then all of a sudden it is not. i checked the fuse and it was fine, i grounded the a and b terminals on the aldl and the fan did not kick on when i turned the power on. does this mean the fan is burnt out? or could there still be a problem with the sensors or the wiring. I checked the sensors and the one on the connection to the one on the head (pasenger side) was pretty nasty and the one one the intake manifold was fine. Please help! im vettless right now, i dont want to burn her up!
Old 07-06-2005, 06:52 PM
CFI-EFI
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by cplonner
Hey guys,

does this mean the fan is burnt out? or could there still be a problem with the sensors or the wiring.
Of course.

I checked the sensors and the one on the connection to the one on the head (pasenger side) was pretty nasty
That is the sensor for the gauge in the IP. It appears a visit to www.helminc.com is in order.

RACE ON!!!
Old 07-06-2005, 06:58 PM
cplonner
Burning Brakes

When you said of course did you mean the fan? or the sensor?
Old 07-06-2005, 07:37 PM
CFI-EFI
Race Director

When you said of course did you mean the fan? or the sensor?
Yes.

does this mean the fan is burnt out? or could there still be a problem with the sensors or the wiring.
All of the above. But if the engine has a proper cold and hot idle, chances are it's not the ECT sensor. The ECM uses the same engine temp sensor for all it controls. It's time to do a little trouble shooting. Put on your Sherlock Holmes hat and do some detecting and deducing.

RACE ON!!!
Old 07-06-2005, 08:44 PM
shadetreeperf
Instructor

Be sure to check your fan relay. I'm not sure where it's at on an '86. Look around on the firewall.

KC
Old 07-06-2005, 09:00 PM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Start at the battery + terminal and follow the Orn fusable link to the weather pack connector and then the Red wire to the fan relay.

If the fusable link is in tact jumper the Grn/Wht wire at the fan relay to ground and turn on the ignition. If the fan does not come on, open the connector at the fan and jumper one side to ground and the other side to +12Vdc, just tough the jumper to +12Vdc in case the fan motor is shorted internally.
Old 07-06-2005, 09:57 PM
cplonner
Burning Brakes

my neighboor and i just looked at it with a voltemeter and everthing looks good, the relay is my only suspision now. hopfully replacing that will fix it nice and easy. i think that would explain the reason the fan doesnt come on when i jump the a&b terminal in the aldl.
Old 07-07-2005, 09:14 AM
AGENT 86
Race Director

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

http://members.shaw.ca/corvette86/Co...%20Control.pdf
Old 07-07-2005, 10:14 AM
LD85
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Unplug your fan, run a pair of wires from your battery pos/neg down to the fan with a pair of alligator clips, turn the ignition on, if the fan does not spin, then your fan is bad, or if your fan does indeed spin, does it get hot quickly,,,,
Old 07-07-2005, 11:13 AM
CFI-EFI
Race Director

Originally Posted by LD85
Unplug your fan, run a pair of wires from your battery pos/neg down to the fan with a pair of alligator clips, turn the ignition on,
I don't understand the point of turning the ignition on, when you are jumping directly from the battery to the fan motor.

RACE ON!!!
Old 07-07-2005, 11:17 AM
nel
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check the fan as some of the other posters had suggested. Then work backwards--fan relay, fusible link, fuse (there is a coolant fan fuse in the fuse box).
Old 07-07-2005, 03:21 PM
LD85
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by CFI-EFI
I don't understand the point of turning the ignition on, when you are jumping directly from the battery to the fan motor.

RACE ON!!!
Correct, wow,,, you are GOOD!
Old 07-07-2005, 04:32 PM
cplonner
Burning Brakes

ok i replaced the relay and nothin....i took a look at the fusable links and they are all crusty and brown. im gonna go ahead a say i will replace them next, they look pretty bad. at the auto part store do i just ask for a fusable links? and tell them the wire gage?
Old 07-07-2005, 06:40 PM
65Z01
Team Owner

Cruise-In II Veteran

Good question on the fusable links.

When I was installing new connector tips onto mine I noticed they are just thin gauge wire with a rubber jacket that melts when they overheat.

My '85 GM Shop Manual says they are 20 gauge.

Are you sure that you are getting no power to the Red wire at pin D of the relay?? Also you should be getting +12 Vdc on the Dk Blu wire to pin C of the relay, in Run only. If both these conditions are met you should be able to get +12 Vdc on the Blk/Red wire from relay pin A by grounding the Grn/Wht wire at pin B, with the ignition switch in Run.

Last edited by 65Z01; 07-07-2005 at 06:46 PM.
Old 07-07-2005, 06:47 PM
cplonner
Burning Brakes

ok here is the deal. i checked, fusable links (the wires are still intact just the outside of the splice looks nasty), i put a new relay in (no luck) i grounded the a&b terminals (nothin) and i cannot get to the electric plug for the fan without breakin the clip, is there another way to test the fan? i either have to take the whole fan outa there to get to the clip, or break it somehow. Any suggestions?
Old 07-07-2005, 06:54 PM
65Z01
Team Owner

Cruise-In II Veteran

As I suggestted above, perform the test to see if there is +12Vdc on the Red/Blk wire at the relay.

If so, pierce the Red/Blk wire just near the fan motor to see if there is +12Vdc there. If not there is an open in the power line to the fan.

If so do the same to the Blk wire from the fan motor. This wire should have 0 Vdc. If not there is an open in the Gnd wire from the fan.

If so, remove the fan shroud and replace the fan motor.

Get notified of new replies

To Coolant Fan Not Coming On.

Quick Reply: Coolant Fan Not Coming On.