C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Tricks for sealing differential

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2005, 09:51 AM
Bob CTS
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11

Default Tricks for sealing differential

I just pulled and cleaned up the rear diff. Does anyone have any tricks or techniques to sealing the carrier (86 4+3) to prevent any kinds of leaks. It originally had RTV (no gasket) on it and it was leaking. Thanks in advance for any help.
Bob
Old 07-06-2005, 10:50 AM
CFI-EFI
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

There IS no gasket. Just use RTV.

RACE ON!!!
Old 07-06-2005, 11:11 AM
Bob CTS
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11

Would black be the flavor to use? or is there better?
Thanks
Old 07-06-2005, 11:12 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

The mating surfaces must be clean and dry for the RTV to properly adhere. Use a plastic abrasive cleaning wheel on a drill or die grinder to remove any pieces of the old RTV and then wipe with a dry rag. Don't use solvents like the non-chlorinted brake cleaners as some of those will leave a film and the RTV may not adhere properly.

When you are ready to install the carrier, apply a bead of the black RTV Sealer and be sure to run the bead all the way around the bolt holes. Then immediately assemble and tighten the bolts to the correct torque and in the order shown in the service manual. Like tightening head bolts, you want to pull the surfaces together so that the clamping force is even all the way around and there will be no warping.
Old 07-07-2005, 06:40 AM
tommelton
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rspreng86
Would black be the flavor to use? or is there better?
Thanks
There is better stuff to use than normal RTV. Permatex "The Right Stuff" is the right stuff for this...

http://www.permatex.com/products/ind...Gasket%20Maker

I know, long url, but you can search on google for permatex "the right stuff" and find many links. Not cheap stuff, but it is the ONLY thing I have found that sealed my diff. RTVs would leak within a few months.

-Tom
Old 07-07-2005, 07:51 AM
reidry
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When I did the D44 on my '85 I used Permatex Ultra Copper. You guessed it, has a copper color. This was recommended by another forum member and worked very well.

A word of caution on the aluminum housing rear ends. At least in '85 the original bolts were self tapping metric, they basically suck. The threaded portion of the bolt is kind of triangular. Very little bearing surface given the size of the bolt. If the threads in the housing are good I would recommend just using replacements from ARP, if the self tappers have been over torqued you'll need to helicoil first. I helicoiled all of mine.

Ryan

Get notified of new replies

To Tricks for sealing differential

Quick Reply: Tricks for sealing differential