C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Delteq install pics

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2005, 12:49 AM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

Default Delteq install pics

I just installed my Delteq unit, and must say that other than perhaps the mounting bracket, its a very well thought out and nicely engineered setup!

I had to content with a blower, headers, and aftermarket valve covers, but without those the install would be a snap.

Photo included for the curious...

Old 07-03-2005, 02:20 AM
FD2BLK
Safety Car

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Sweet,
Darn that setup looks familure well the blower is somthing i havent got to yet
Here is mine 10 min after it was droped in, the wires are all cleaned up now but it is the only shot I had.
Old 07-03-2005, 07:10 AM
ericcer
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is an alternate wire route with the Delteq you may consider. It makes for shorter wires.

http://www.knology.net/~eac/images/engine2.jpg

The picture is to large to include as a picture in this thread so load up the above link.
Old 07-03-2005, 10:52 AM
kaiser
Instructor

Is the coil pack bolted to the valve cover, or is there another support bracket involved? The coils seem to be a little heavy just to hang on the VC, and I can't tell from the pix if there is an additional support used.

TIA
Old 07-03-2005, 11:26 AM
FD2BLK
Safety Car

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by ericcer
Here is an alternate wire route with the Delteq you may consider. It makes for shorter wires.

http://www.knology.net/~eac/images/engine2.jpg

The picture is to large to include as a picture in this thread so load up the above link.
That is the same route I used in the end
Old 07-03-2005, 12:30 PM
ericcer
Drifting

Originally Posted by kaiser
Is the coil pack bolted to the valve cover, or is there another support bracket involved? The coils seem to be a little heavy just to hang on the VC, and I can't tell from the pix if there is an additional support used.

TIA
A support plate is supplied that bolts to the valve cover. Then the coils are bolted to that.
Old 07-04-2005, 01:43 AM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

With headers I had plenty of extra wire length, so rather than cutting and re-booting the wires, I just ran the length they supplied in the manner I thought looked the best.

The problem with the support plate is that they give you self-tapping screws and they're only long enough for the self-trapping part to grab, which means they strip out very easily. I JB-welded an 8-32 machine screws in up from the bottom as studs w/ lock nuts to mount the coils, and it works infinite better.

They must know this is a problem, because they supply sheet metal screws "just in case" the supplied bolts strip out...
Old 07-04-2005, 08:02 AM
ericcer
Drifting

Originally Posted by DAVE396LT1
With headers I had plenty of extra wire length, so rather than cutting and re-booting the wires, I just ran the length they supplied in the manner I thought looked the best.

The problem with the support plate is that they give you self-tapping screws and they're only long enough for the self-trapping part to grab, which means they strip out very easily. I JB-welded an 8-32 machine screws in up from the bottom as studs w/ lock nuts to mount the coils, and it works infinite better.

They must know this is a problem, because they supply sheet metal screws "just in case" the supplied bolts strip out...
I have their billet aluminum mounting plate. It is much better and thicker. No problem with the screws like you said.

You can run them pictured below using their wires uncut. You can see better from this picture below how it is done. So there is really 2 ways to run their wires. I just want to point that out for everyone.

Last edited by ericcer; 07-04-2005 at 08:09 AM.
Old 07-05-2005, 07:40 PM
SJW
Le Mans Master

Received 1,401 Likes on 923 Posts

I've wondered, since first examining the Delteq system, why they didn't space the coilpacks a bit farther apart, so that access could have been provided to the valve cover bolts with the coil packs in place.

Seems to me that it makes a lot more sense to be able to assemble the coilpacks to the mounting bracket, then install the assembly on the car, and to be able to remove the entire assembly for access to the valve cover, rather than having to assemble it all on the engine.
Old 07-06-2005, 11:17 AM
HammerDown
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SJW
I've wondered, since first examining the Delteq system, why they didn't space the coilpacks a bit farther apart, so that access could have been provided to the valve cover bolts with the coil packs in place.

Seems to me that it makes a lot more sense to be able to assemble the coilpacks to the mounting bracket, then install the assembly on the car, and to be able to remove the entire assembly for access to the valve cover, rather than having to assemble it all on the engine.
That will be version 2.0

Old 07-06-2005, 12:43 PM
ericcer
Drifting

Originally Posted by SJW

The coils mount to the GM ignition module so they is no choice but to have them mounted that way. This coil pack setup is from the Caddy Northstar.

Last edited by ericcer; 07-06-2005 at 01:05 PM.
Old 07-06-2005, 02:16 PM
95Purple
Pro

This is what they mount on.

Here is mine.
Old 07-06-2005, 07:26 PM
SJW
Le Mans Master

Received 1,401 Likes on 923 Posts

Originally Posted by ericcer
The coils mount to the GM ignition module so they is no choice but to have them mounted that way. This coil pack setup is from the Caddy Northstar.
Hmm... I guess the solution, then, is a two-piece mounting bracket (add a sub-bracket that will pick up the VC bolts, and then receive the Delteq assembly as a unit -- perhaps via four mounting bolts - one in each corner of the Delteq assembly).

Last edited by SJW; 07-06-2005 at 07:29 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Delteq install pics

Quick Reply: Delteq install pics