C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Adjusting weight on each wheel ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2005, 09:21 PM
BillWelter
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adjusting weight on each wheel ?

I'm using Smartire system, the tire pressures are all identical, alignment is correct, but the temps are different LF/RF. On the highway, temps are as follows:

LF 120
RF 104
RR 108
LR 108

So it looks like the Left front has more weight on it than the right front. The F/R bias looks OK since the engine's up front. The LF tire gets hotter, presumably because it's carrying more weight, and I only weigh 150 lbs. Same with a heavy tool box in the right footwell. Is ther a way to adjust the front spring to have the RF carry more weight to even things out? New tires, even with old tires, the same thing. Switched front tires side-side, still gives the same readings on the left side vs. the right side. Thanks.
Old 06-16-2005, 10:59 PM
shotchkiss
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't think you can adjust the stock front springs on a C4, only the rears. VBP makes a replacement front spring that is adjustable, but it runs about $500 or so. Could it be an alignment issue you are having causing the temp increase? I'd think the right front would carry more weight, since the motor is offset to the passenger side in these cars.
Old 06-16-2005, 11:11 PM
BillWelter
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks. The LF is the one that's hotter than the RF. Alignment is good, had it checked at two different places, caster/camber/toe in same on both wheels.
Old 06-17-2005, 06:48 AM
mseven
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ive been looking at ride height recently, and can see that as adjusting a r.rear has an effect on left front, which in my case changed the overall feel of the ride. Is there a possibility that the left shock (worn) is allowing additonal travel? Just a thought

Last edited by mseven; 06-17-2005 at 06:51 AM.
Old 06-17-2005, 08:07 AM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

You make a good point that lowering the rear can also effect the front ride height bias, though I don't know if that would change the weight distribution bias.

If you had a scale that was good to 1,000lbs you could easily determine the weight on each tire. I think it's unlikely that there would be more weight on the LF than on the RF without the same bias bewteen LR and RR.

Could the tire heating be due to a brake or wheel bearing issue.
Old 06-17-2005, 09:29 AM
mseven
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 65Z01
If you had a scale that was good to 1,000lbs you could easily determine the weight on each tire. I think it's unlikely that there would be more weight on the LF than on the RF without the same bias bewteen LR and RR.
Could the tire heating be due to a brake or wheel bearing issue.
That would make for some intersting info, then the possibilties might actually change as to ride handeling, corective adj. w/driver etc.
I was thinking caliper/ brakes also, but he didnt mention wheel pull and stated everything was checked, so I ruled that out.
I do agree it would appear as there is an issue, just glad I dont own one of those (tools), it would be one more thing to go compulsive over

Get notified of new replies

To Adjusting weight on each wheel ?

Quick Reply: Adjusting weight on each wheel ?