C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

CTSY/CLK fuse blown

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2005, 08:21 AM
alford
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CTSY/CLK fuse blown

Help? I own an 87 Vette that keeps blowing the 15A courtesy light fuse when I put the car in Drive. I can replace the fuse and everything works fine in Park, but shortly after I put the car in Drive the fuse blows out. When it blows it takes out all of the courtesy lights, cig lighter, and the climate control panel. I don't understand why it's taking out the climate control. The wiring diagrams don't show it connecting to the courtesy lights any where.
Old 06-09-2005, 09:05 AM
AGENT 86
Race Director

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

It looks like the gage fuse is somehow connected with the ctsy/clk fuse (86 manual). The climate control is connected to the gage fuse. Why not follow the diagram and unplug one thing at a time till you stop blowing the fuse.
Old 06-09-2005, 09:12 AM
Midnight 85
Le Mans Master

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified

I would take the cover off the console and see if the wires for the light in the shift pattern lens was getting pinched by the shifter.
Old 06-09-2005, 09:17 AM
AGENT 86
Race Director

Originally Posted by Midnight 85
I would take the cover off the console and see if the wires for the light in the shift pattern lens was getting pinched by the shifter.
Good call
Old 06-09-2005, 07:06 PM
alford
8th Gear

Thanks for the advise. I'll check that today.
Old 06-09-2005, 07:10 PM
alford
8th Gear

Originally Posted by AGENT 86
It looks like the gage fuse is somehow connected with the ctsy/clk fuse (86 manual). The climate control is connected to the gage fuse. Why not follow the diagram and unplug one thing at a time till you stop blowing the fuse.
Hopefully, it's the shift lens light wiring. If not I'm going to try your idea. Thanks for your help.
Old 06-09-2005, 11:21 PM
alford
8th Gear

The shift pattern lens light is hooked up to the headlight wiring... checked it any way. It still works when the CTSY/CLK fuse is blown.
Old 06-09-2005, 11:24 PM
alford
8th Gear

Originally Posted by AGENT 86
I noticed in another thread that you included some pgs w/pics out of your 86 manual. Would you please post the diagram you mentioned? Thanks.
Old 06-10-2005, 08:46 AM
AGENT 86
Race Director

Originally Posted by alford
I noticed in another thread that you included some pgs w/pics out of your 86 manual. Would you please post the diagram you mentioned? Thanks.
I looked and looked and could not find the one pic that should a relationship. I'll look some more later
Old 06-10-2005, 10:15 AM
hz900
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is an electrical sylinoid or sensore or switch (whatever it is) in the transmission that is also on this circuit. It controls going into overdrive and possibly some other functions. I know this because I had the same exact problem you are having and went through sever things before finding the fix. I found some wires for the smog stuff on the front of the engine that had came loose from the harness clips and were rubbing against the pulleys. Now thats probably not your problem because mine would blow every time I started the car. Yours only blows when you put it in gear, which is why I mentioned the trans thing. Also if memory serves me correct the seatbelt sensor is also on that circuit, and the wire runs through the console under the shifter, might check to see if it is getting pinched.
Old 06-10-2005, 09:24 PM
AGENT 86
Race Director

Originally Posted by alford
The search has ended Several attempts failed to find it but the fourth was a charm. It was the schematic from the AC control head (electronic). Looking over it again it seems that that may just share a connector.
BUT !! The drawing shows that the clk/ctsy fuse also powers AC control head memory so that should answer why the relationship.
Unless you have a manual control head

Get notified of new replies

To CTSY/CLK fuse blown

Quick Reply: CTSY/CLK fuse blown