C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Problems removing fuel rail - '90 (L-98)

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2005, 12:34 PM
Spinman
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problems removing fuel rail - '90 (L-98)

Having some problems trying to remove my fuel rail so that I can replace my injectors. Hope someone can offer some suggestions...

I did it before several years ago (and it was a pain) - this time, apparently I'm a little bit older with fewer brain cells -

1) I can't get a torx socket onto the inner bolt (rear drivers side). I've tried both 3/8" and 1/4" drive extentions on a 3/8" torx socket and universal joints.....

[**One bolt per side is hidden and only accessed from inside the manifold area. The one for the driver's side is accessed between the fuel pressure regulator and the distributor.]

2) I can't get a torx socket onto the 1st outer bolt (front passenger side) that is directly behind the two fuel lines from the fuel rail. Do I need to unbolt the fuel lines and the rail mounting bolts - and then wiggle it up a bit to make room for the socket? All the instructions I've seen say to remove the passenger side runner before unbolting the fuel rail.

3) How do I disconnect the fuel line? I was able to get a wrench on on of the lines - but the 2nd is fairly tight. Do I need to remove the Black Plastic unit that has several large hoses running into it that is situated directly over the fuel line nuts? (what is that unit?) If so, I do I remove it - I've removed the bolt on top, but it appears to also be attached from underneath.

Last edited by Spinman; 05-28-2005 at 12:38 PM.
Old 05-28-2005, 02:54 PM
65coop
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

The TPI fuel rail is held on by 4 bolts o top of the rails, the fuel lines have 2 bolts on the front of the intake - remove all 6 bolts and your passenger side runners and you should be able to pull up on both rails and pull the injectors out. Don't forget about he clips that keep the injectors in - take a small screw driver and push the "tang" over to un-clip the injectors.

I think the large hoses your talking about is the EGR hoses....

hope this helps
Old 05-28-2005, 03:04 PM
Bump
Heel & Toe

Just did this on my 90. Get the fuel lines and the two screws out and off. Unbolt and remove the two bolts for the upper radiator hose and thermostat where you can get the EGR (?) switch out of the way for access to the front inside bolt. Next I unbolted the 4 bolts for the fuel rail, disconnected the wires to the injectors on the passenger side, disconnect the vaccum lines from the back of the plenum, remove plenum and wiggle the tubes out, then I used two long extensions under the fuel rail to gently pop the injectors out of the intake on that side. Now I think you can get to the back drivers inside torx bolt with any size ratchet and extensions from the passenger side. I hope I didn't leave anything out, my car and books are at the shop across town. As far as the AIR pump, the black pump and hoses, I had pulled it off because I am pulling my engine.
Old 05-28-2005, 03:39 PM
Spinman
Instructor

Thank you -

That got me over my current problem... I had forgotten about the 2 bolts in the front that hold the fuel rail leads. Once I removed them, I was able to raise the rail up and get enough clearance to remove the remaining 2 runner bolts. With those out of the way, I was able to lift the rails completely out. I forgot what a chinese jigsaw puzzle it is to remove and put back together.

My mechanic tells me that injectors #1, #4, #5 & #7 failed the ohm test (which does not surprise me). How are the cylinders numbered in this engine? I'd like to see if they are the remaining OEM GM injectors or replacements that I had previously installed. (Learned my lesson - going to replace all 8 this time)

Last edited by Spinman; 05-28-2005 at 04:13 PM.
Old 05-28-2005, 03:45 PM
pipe
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

#1 3 5 7 drivers side and #2 4 6 8 passenger side GOOD LUCK MAN
Old 05-28-2005, 04:09 PM
Spinman
Instructor

Well, now that I can look at the injectors - all 4 that failed are my remaining OEM GM injectors - I had previously replaced the other 4 (with a combination of GM and aftermarket).

I guess I'll throw the 4 "good" injectors in my junk drawer - although I don't know why...

Hopefully the Accel set will provide a better service interval - I'm tired of failing injectors!

Get notified of new replies

To Problems removing fuel rail - '90 (L-98)

Quick Reply: Problems removing fuel rail - '90 (L-98)