C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Gears in Maryland

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2005, 01:13 PM
dsg049c
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Gears in Maryland

Looking for a shop in Maryland, Baltimore metro that will install 3.54 in my 96.. Prefer a location that someone has worked with.. I have heard to many horror stories.. Local tuner would help also..
Old 05-26-2005, 01:21 PM
vettefast
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had my 3.75 gears done two months ago in the Baltimore metro area and the job was done perfect but I would not recommend either of the shops I work with because of the wait. It would be done right but you would be without your Vette for at least a month
Old 05-26-2005, 01:31 PM
dsg049c
Pro

What shop did you use?
Old 05-26-2005, 01:53 PM
vettefast
Drifting

The better of the two would be Corvette Performance on Philiadelpia Rd right off rt. 40. My buddy got his engine and 3.54 gears put in his 86 supercharged Vette there. Great work but long wait!
Old 05-26-2005, 03:27 PM
tigmaned
Pro

hey you guys know any place i should take my 86 to? i am down in Crofton, md 21114
i need to get a MD inspection, which i am getting more and more worried about?? and maybe have the TPS set too.

Last edited by ed petrucci; 05-26-2005 at 03:32 PM.
Old 05-26-2005, 04:25 PM
dsg049c
Pro

F-Body in Arbutus or Balto city is supposed to do good work.. I am looking them up.. They seem to be the closest to me that is able to handle the work..
Old 05-26-2005, 04:57 PM
TommyVelour
Intermediate

Tony's Corvette Shop in Gaithersburg, MD - rated one of the top ten vette shops in the country by Corvette Magazine.

www.tonyscorvetteshop.com 301-987-0565
Old 05-26-2005, 09:14 PM
rrubel
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I like P&G Automotive in Pasadena (410-766-0074). He does all makes/models, but has worked on Vettes for years. There's always 3 or 4 at the shop of all generations. He's not the cheapest, but he's methodical and accurate, and he won't do work that doesn't need to be done. Great guy. He spent a heck of a lot of time diagnosing the vac leaks in my SuperRam setup.
[RICHR]
Old 05-26-2005, 09:19 PM
tigmaned
Pro

rrubel.
thanks, do you know their hourly rate by chance?

i found this guy some how, have you ever heard of him?
skip wagner
1009 rose anne rd
glen burnie, md
410-760-6379

are you in any corvette club near us??
Old 05-26-2005, 09:56 PM
VenkmanP
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

If you are going to r/r the rear yourself, you are not far from Zip, so shipping shouldn't a big deal.
Old 05-27-2005, 09:48 PM
Saisling
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '05

i need to get a MD inspection, which i am getting more and more worried about??
A MD inspection for what? Emissions?? I'll assume so since you only need a State Vehicle Inspection before your first registration and then never again...

Why are you worried about emissions? Have you removed emissions components or modified anything?

I ran my stock 84 through a year and a half ago and it passed by unbelievable margins! If you have all your emissions stuff in place and no major mods, you'll be fine.

As far as service shops in MD go... anytime you look at a Corvette specific shop your looking for terrible wait times. I had called Tony's in march to see when they could fit me in and teh wait was awhile. I then turned to Corvette Specialties in Eldersburg, MD. They are a great bunch of guys.. but they told me two-three weeks before they could get me in on March 8th. I called them on April 28th and I was still 14 cars behind with an additional 22 cars added to the list after me... I've since done everything myself that I wanted them to do for me, but I haven't heard from them yet.

I did find a Mobil Station at the corner of Rt 40 and St Johns Lane. They always have at least three or four Vettes out there and there is a trailer with the Free State Corvette Club logo on it - so I don't know if the owner or someone there is affiliated with the club or not.

Anyway, i called them and talked to them for a good while about a few concerns with my 84. I ended up not taking it to them (like I said, I fixed it myself), but the guy I talked to was quite knowledgable (or seemed so) and said they do a lot of work on vettes there. He seemed to know quite a bit about C4's as well. I would consider taking my car there if I needed service for anything. He said if I wanted an appointment, call nd he could usually get me in within a couple days...
Old 05-27-2005, 10:20 PM
tigmaned
Pro

i need a md inspection because i just purcahsed the vette last week. and alot of the vacuum lines were messed with, i got them back to were they need to be i think but its runnning crappy right now. need to do the tps abjustment and most likly cehck the timeing.
Old 05-27-2005, 11:39 PM
Saisling
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '05

I wouldn't worry about finding a Vette specific shop for a MD State Inspection... just take it anywhere local.

If somebody messed with your vacum lines, though, it's quite posible they may have disconnected EGR and other type stuff you'll need for emissions. I'd be sure to double check the emissions system - since DMV will likely send you a summons for that once you get through Md State and register.

I'd change plugs, wires, cap and rotor too if you don't know how old they are... Couldn't hurt.

Good luck!
Old 05-28-2005, 08:53 PM
tigmaned
Pro

yeah i did a hei cap and rotor change today, got the plugs ready to go in too, one thing withmy alumnum heads do i use the little washer thatcame with them? the coil was kind of rusty so i cleaned all the spot that were touching and connections. i was going to check timing but my light has a bad bulb?
Old 05-28-2005, 09:18 PM
Mad-Mic
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dsg049c
F-Body in Arbutus or Balto city is supposed to do good work.. I am looking them up.. They seem to be the closest to me that is able to handle the work..

http://www.FBodyCentral.com

ask for Jason he is my friend tell him Mad-Mic sent ya all the work on is FBodies and Vettes.
Old 05-28-2005, 09:47 PM
tigmaned
Pro

mad mic
thanks !!
so do you belong to any clubs ib iur area?
my wife works at severna park elementary
ED
Old 05-28-2005, 11:13 PM
rrubel
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ed petrucci
thanks, do you know their hourly rate by chance?
No, unfortunately I don't. He mostly just quotes prices at me when I ask him how much to do something. Like $50 to check out the Vette I wound up buying, beforehand, and letting me know what work it'd need. $20 to remove, weld a hole, and replace the oil dipstick tube. $90 to replace the harmonic balancer and pulley (labor only) and spend some time trying to see if the crankshaft is out of true.

i found this guy some how, have you ever heard of him?
skip wagner
1009 rose anne rd
glen burnie, md
410-760-6379

are you in any corvette club near us??
Nope, never heard of him. As for clubs, I've looked at a couple but my wife and I decided we'd have to wait to join anything until the kids are old enough to not need a babysitter. Couple more years before the oldest can watch the youngest. We did spend some time with folks from an Annapolis club (forget the name, NOT Freestate) during the 50th Caravan. Seemed like a nice group, but more dedicated to socializing than racing-type stuff. There's also a small group that meets at the Starbuck's across from Marley Mall that I run into occasionally.

[RICHR]

Get notified of new replies

To Gears in Maryland

Old 05-29-2005, 05:07 PM
Mad-Mic
Pro

Originally Posted by ed petrucci
mad mic
thanks !!
so do you belong to any clubs ib iur area?
my wife works at severna park elementary
ED
No problem man! Jason is a good friend of mine and he will get you in and out same day with an appointment.

i'm not in any vette clubs for the simple fact that like to race and all the vette clubs around here like Corvettes of Annapolis are mostly all show and shine guys. nothing wrong with that but i'm a racer and rather be around others like me.

here are the clubs i belong too.

http://www.EasternFbody.com

http://www.RacersDen.net

all are local and both have track days, dyno days, cookouts, cruises, hang outs, ect. just more my style although Eastern Fbody is a 4th Gen club only there are alot of vette guys and mustang guys like me that are honorary members cause we hang out with them and have fun. we just can't race in the heads up classes at the track with them but bracket racing is for anyone. Racers Den is a sports car club. any make or model import or domestic. it's all about going fast

Last edited by Mad-Mic; 05-29-2005 at 05:09 PM.
Old 05-30-2005, 12:08 AM
vettefast
Drifting

Originally Posted by Mad-Mic
here are the clubs i belong too.

http://www.EasternFbody.com

http://www.RacersDen.net

To anyone who is considering going to http://www.EasternFbody.com do yourself a favor and look for a forum that is there to help fellow car enthusiast. This is a forum that has members who do nothing but look to bash their fellow forum members and have no intentions of giving advise to anyone. To be honest with you I have not been on a forum like this that you feel like you are with a bunch of high school kids talking sh*t back and forth to each other and have no purpose in thier threads. If you want to see this for yourself click on MadMic's website above. You will not get into the second post of the first thread you read before you leave this childish forum
Old 05-30-2005, 08:41 PM
Mad-Mic
Pro

Originally Posted by vettefast
To anyone who is considering going to http://www.EasternFbody.com do yourself a favor and look for a forum that is there to help fellow car enthusiast. This is a forum that has members who do nothing but look to bash their fellow forum members and have no intentions of giving advise to anyone. To be honest with you I have not been on a forum like this that you feel like you are with a bunch of high school kids talking sh*t back and forth to each other and have no purpose in thier threads. If you want to see this for yourself click on MadMic's website above. You will not get into the second post of the first thread you read before you leave this childish forum

ya know thats everywhere. just because you had a bad time on that forum and take stuff too serious doesn't mean everyone else is. you dig into the drama people act like asses. i've had nothing but good times with those guys including kicking their asses at their own shoot out race going 7 rounds and winning the brackets. there are ALOT of good people on that site. but unfortunatly there are some bad apples here and to tell you the truth it's the same anywhere you go including here.

thats how i met Jason from FBC and he has been nothing but good to me. i use his lift when i want and he wont even charge me. known him for a few years and i've helped him out before by turning wrenches at his shop when they get in a jam trying to finish customer cars up in late winter in time for spring.

if you can't handle EFA then no way you will handle Racers Den. people talk trash everywhere but believe it or not in person everyone is very cool. hell there are MUSTANG guys on EFA and are members.

Quick Reply: Gears in Maryland