C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Evidence of blown head gasket, but car running great –any experts around?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2005, 09:24 AM
ittlfly
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Here is a link to a vender that sells the block tester. This one works off of enginge vacuum. There is another type that that uses a rubber ball hand style pump to draw the vapors into the tube.
http://www.tooldesk.com/products/default.aspx+sid+266
Old 05-19-2005, 05:23 PM
Stingraynut
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for the link Ittlfly.

S'nut
Old 05-19-2005, 08:11 PM
CFI-EFI
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by rick lambert
Incidentally, if you do a compression test, all cylinders should read within 10%-two weak
ones, especially next to each other means Blown gasket or cracked head probably as high as 95% of the time-sorry.
Although unlikely, it is possible that the gasket is blown, only to a water passage, and not from one cylinder to another. That would show up a a single cylinder with low compression, rather than an adjacent pair. Based on the observation of the shop, there is little doubt that there is a blown gasket, if not worse.

Originally Posted by Stingraynut
The info on the gaskets is very handy, I will order all the necessary parts first.
I would hold off on ordering any parts until you consult with the shop. The parts end of this job is pretty insignificant compared to the overall cost. Some (most) shops object to you bringing your own parts. They may make up for the lost profit on the parts by upping the labor. You don't take your own eggs to the restaurant, do you?

I think that when they recondition the heads they also replace the valve guides and lap in the valves? is that right/normal?
Up until this post you haven't mentioned having the heads reconditioned. Be aware that truing the heads doesn't mean reconditioning them. However, checking for true or truing would be a part of reconditioning. IF you opt to have the heads reconditioned, the valves and valve seats will be checked and ground and the valve guides will be reconditioned.

Originally Posted by MtlSphere
But be aware that milling the heads requires milling the intake by the same amount to keep the mating surfaces inline.
A thin slice, just for the purpose of truing the heads, does NOT require milling the intake manifold. If you are inclined to have them take a thick cut to raise the compression, it is better to have the intake surface of the head milled than the intake manifold, but no compensation to the intake alignment is necessray for a truing cut.

The pressure check on the rad with a warm engine is a good place to start - I'll organise that next week. If I get extra pressure on revs ? then I'll try the block tester, if I can locate one, and go from there.
There is nothing really wrong with doing these additional tests, but you know you have a problem. The compression test, or really any ONE, of these tests will confirm the problem.

One thing to bear in mind, is that anything you decide to "add on" to the operation, basically has the labor "prepaid". Be sure, however, to establish that point with the shop before you ASSUME anything. Good luck, and...

RACE ON!!!

Last edited by CFI-EFI; 05-19-2005 at 08:15 PM.
Old 05-24-2005, 11:45 PM
Stingraynut
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks CFI-EFI, appreciate your advice, all very useful.

As for me getting parts, I do check with workshops first but in the case of the vette and living in Australia, some parts aren't available here and have to be shipped from the US, so every workshop so far has welcomed me doing all the ordering. That's part of the reason I try to research each job as much as possible, find out what I can expect to be done and so on.

I had my coolant tested today at the radiator shop, they had the vacuum bottle and fluid similar to that mentioned on the forum.

NO indications of CO in the coolant - we tested it very thoroughly at idle and then again holding 2300rpms for about 2 minutes.

The workshop added a grey powder called 'Seal leak' to the coolant when they discovered the possible blown headgasket It's also recommended to be used when fitting new head gaskets as it stops the glycol from penetrating anywhere before the gasket beds down.It doesn't clog the radiator, only sets when exposed to air. (and there was about a level teaspoon of the stuff)

I wish I'd tested it before they put the stuff in - I really believe it would still have tested negative.

I suppose this buys me some time - if it wasn't for them saying coolant gushed out of a hose , I'd say there was nothing wrong.

Rob

Quick Reply: Evidence of blown head gasket, but car running great –any experts around?