C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Amsoil Extended Oil Changing Interval?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2005, 12:23 PM
Jake72
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Amsoil Extended Oil Changing Interval?

I hope I'm not digging up a horse that's already been beat to death, but a friend of mine just informed me of the oil change intervals that Amsoil is promoting. He says they recommend oil change intervals in the neighborhood of 30k miles with filter changes at 10k to 12k intervals.

My questions: Is this a good recommendation when using Amsoil? Are any of you following this recommendation?

Thanks for any information you can provide.

Jake
Old 05-05-2005, 02:22 PM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

From working (though years ago) in the lube additive labs I just follow the car mfg's recommendations.

The main reasons for changing motor oil are:
-dispersents become saturated and can no longer hold wear particulates in suspendion
-detergents become used up and can no longer clean engine parts
-anti-oxidents become used up and can no longer neurtalize acids that form under normal use
-oil can break down due to contaminents and thermal exposure
-VI improvers shear under use and extended thermal exposure, so you lose the xW-Y property of the oil

For me it's hard to believe that a motor oil/additive will extend life from 3k miles to 30k miles, especially under severe driving conditions. If it were for my Honda (if I had one) I might use it.
Old 05-05-2005, 03:44 PM
Mr. Peabody
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 477 Likes on 353 Posts
C4 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I asked that same question of the specialty shop that recently changed all of the fluids in my car using amsoil products. The owner advised that what he does on the oil was to change just the filter after 6 months and then change the oil & filter again after 1 year.
Old 05-05-2005, 05:09 PM
mseven
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I currently use amsoil 3000 and their filter. Yes they say change filter only after 7500k(think this is their statement). HOWEVER, many indipendent labs have tested all syns. and while amsoil did meet the claim (supposedly) they also said that after 5000 the oil stated to increse its viscosity. Initial was 5-30 by the time the oil hit 7500 it was @40wght and gaining. Mobil 1, as I recall went the other way. What I can tell you, is that it doesnt matter to me what they say. I change it when the oil changes color, (med. brown), scent, and feel. This is usually at the recomended 3000K. sometimes earlier never later. The thing I have noticed w/amsoil is that my oil temp. @normal oper. range, has dropped about 20 degrees from mobil 1.
Daily driver (03 yukon xl) m-1syn./ m-1 syn.filter, same thing on changes.
Old 05-05-2005, 06:04 PM
nel
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think one of the trends among oil manufacturers nowadays is to offer products that can go longer than OEM recommended oil change intervals. Amsoil may say 30K miles but with the caveat of one year. Likewise, there's Mobil 1 EP which is warrantied for 15K miles and one year. Typically, these oils have a higher level of detergent, anti-wear and other additives to ensure they can go the distance.

Here's an interesting link to someone who's been conducting oil analysis on his '02 Z28 (LT1 engine) every 1K miles to see how Mobil 1 and Amsoil holds up to extended use:

http://neptune.spacebears.com/cars/s.../oil-life.html
Old 05-05-2005, 06:18 PM
Lilred87
Intermediate

I have used Amsoil in all my vehicles since 97. I don't put more than 25k miles per year on them ( the recommended change interval). I change the filters every 6 mo and top off the level. Change the oil every year. The oil level never goes down but do keep an eye on the color and odor. I've never had a problem and like the other thread said, the temperature goes down and the mileage will go up. I just bought my 87 in December and the previous owner used all kinds of additives in the oil and it was like molasses. I used the cleaner on the engine before changing over to Amsoil and now it stays clean as a whistle.
Old 05-05-2005, 07:15 PM
Mr. Peabody
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 477 Likes on 353 Posts
C4 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

That was interesting reading nel, thanks
Old 05-05-2005, 08:03 PM
C66 Racing
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Jake72
I hope I'm not digging up a horse that's already been beat to death, but a friend of mine just informed me of the oil change intervals that Amsoil is promoting. He says they recommend oil change intervals in the neighborhood of 30k miles with filter changes at 10k to 12k intervals.

My questions: Is this a good recommendation when using Amsoil? Are any of you following this recommendation?

Thanks for any information you can provide.

Jake
Jake,
I am the forum vendor (with assistance from MrPickles) with the AMSOIL banner (which takes you to the AMSOIL Corporate Online Store but tags you so profits come to me (really my raceteam), a portion of which goes to this forum). I've been an AMSOIL dealer for just over a year now and have done a lot of reading on this subject in the last year and a half or so. Here is my perspective and a few interesting links to read.

Oil change intervals are a personal opinion and hotly debated. But... AMSOIL has over 30 years of experience behind them, and they warranty their lubricants which they wouldn't do if they didn't believe in this kind of change interval. AMSOIL makes three lines of lubricants, the AMSOIL Series 2000 Motor Oils which can be used to 25/35k in some situations, the SAE synthetic line which is rated for 25K, and the AMSOIL XL-7500 Motor Oils line which is rated for 7500 (or longer using the oil life monitoring system). Each has the caveat that the max length is one year independent of mileage. And, most filters won't last that long. AMSOIL SDF Oil Filter have more filtering media and are rated for six months or 12,500 miles.

My personal use:
- Vette sees special duty. I use the Series 2000 and change it every four track days.
- Wife's Chevy Trailblazer. I use the XL-7500 and change it per her oil life monitor (which has ranged from 7500-9500 miles at just about six months so I only use one filter).
- My F350. I use the Series 3000 Synthetic 5w30 Heavy Duty Diesel Oil oil for 15k miles with an oil filter change at 7500 miles.

If anyone has any specific questions, please don't hesitate to ask me or MrPickles. Thanks for your support.

Motor Drain Intervals: How Long Must We Wait?
Motor Oil Drain Intervals: An Ethical Burden?

409,000-Mile Oil Drain Interval Mack Engine Teardown

AMSOIL Ordering Information
AMSOIL Preferred Customer Program

C66 Racing #66 NASA ST2, SCCA T2
AMSOIL Dealer (Forum Vendor)
AMSOIL Ordering Information (Retail sales using reference #1206638 benefit the forum.)
AMSOIL Preferred Customer Program (Members buy at Wholesale - a savings of about 25%)
AMSOIL Catalog

Old 05-05-2005, 09:18 PM
Redeasysport
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06

Originally Posted by nel
I think one of the trends among oil manufacturers nowadays is to offer products that can go longer than OEM recommended oil change intervals. Amsoil may say 30K miles but with the caveat of one year. Likewise, there's Mobil 1 EP which is warrantied for 15K miles and one year. Typically, these oils have a higher level of detergent, anti-wear and other additives to ensure they can go the distance.

Here's an interesting link to someone who's been conducting oil analysis on his '02 Z28 (LT1 engine) every 1K miles to see how Mobil 1 and Amsoil holds up to extended use:

http://neptune.spacebears.com/cars/s.../oil-life.html
Thanks for the link Nel it was facinating reading a must read for all **** retentive 3000mi oil changers.So the filter seems to need changing more than the oil till the 10,000 mi mark for M1 or Amsoil. We can safely drive our cars with yearly oil changes. I will bet some guys here will still say 3mo. or 3000 mi. reguardless of any study they see. Shame it is a waste of money and our environment. It is good to see that both oils really are high quality.
Old 05-06-2005, 01:56 PM
Jake72
Intermediate

Thanks to everyone for your very informative responses. Looks like I need to lose the 3 month or 3k miles approach!

Thanks again,
Jake
Old 05-06-2005, 05:37 PM
C66 Racing
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Jake72
Thanks to everyone for your very informative responses. Looks like I need to lose the 3 month or 3k miles approach!

Thanks again,
Jake
Jake,
You're welcome. That's what I love about the forum, lots of guys and gals willing to share good info.

I was a diehard 3 month/3000 mile guy as well, but after much reading and reviewing hundreds of used oil analysis reports (such as the one linked above) I slowly gave in. Now I'm very comfortable running my truck 15,000 miles. Live and learn.
Old 05-06-2005, 07:37 PM
mike t
Advanced

In my audi 4.2 I use the Amsoil european formula 5-40w and change every 10k plus filter. I am quite happy with that, if I left it to the dealer god knows what they would put in. For my C4 I am going with the Mobil 1 extended performance and change at 6k to 7k plus filter. I feel quite comfortable with that. I note with interest the lower oil temp cited when using amsoil, may give that a try. There have been dramatic changes in oil coming from the european market place and the push for prolonged oil change interval, not sure how this fits with older cars though.

Get notified of new replies

To Amsoil Extended Oil Changing Interval?

Quick Reply: Amsoil Extended Oil Changing Interval?