C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Important 4+3 Tranny Filter Information - Step Inside>>

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2005, 02:17 PM
CAJUN C4
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Best is to splice in the Cooling Lines a B & M Trans Filter.All the fluid goes throgh a canister engine oil filter. Also give it more capacity than I think a quart or so stock.
Old 05-14-2005, 09:55 PM
CentralCoaster
Team Owner

Location: San Diego , CA Double Yellow DirtBags 1985..Z51..6-speed
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Ttt
Old 05-16-2005, 09:54 PM
1986Z51
Instructor

Excellent thread! Has anyone found a suitable grommet? I just tried re-using mine, carefully cut out from the old filter, but it started to split while working it on the new one.

I bought two filters last Fall from a catalog before this info was available. If only the silly pan gasket were replaced by a grommet (instead of the "helpful' instructions to re-use the original) the $20 filter kit would be worth it.

I tried a dealer today and was told the grommet is discontinued. I might try searching through motorcycle oil filters at a local dealer. I remember my old Kaw took a filter with similar upper and lower grommets that pressed on a big banjo bolt. Will post the results if this pans out.
Old 05-16-2005, 11:03 PM
CentralCoaster
Team Owner

The grommet provided by Ecklers is just a 1/2" rubber grommet. In fact there's doesn't even fit very tight (the grommet gap is 1/8", too big).

Pep Girls here has it in the computer but say they don't stock the filter. Napa here has a whole bunch of the kits sitting on the shelf. The grommet came in a little assortment pack in their doodads section. Same size grommet, but 1/16" gap.

The grommet is 1/2" ID, 1-1/8" OD, and has a 13/16" diameter gap. Very common size.

Here's what I got from Napa yesterday:
#1-4717 (1969 Ford Ranchero (FMX) Filter kit) $9.00
#770-1309 (Wire grommet assortment) $4.19

So, I didn't save much over Ecklers, but just being able to run to the parts store for it makes it worth it.

Other sources for the 'wire grommet' would probably be the "Help!" section at most autoparts stores, or most any hardware store. I'd buy a half dozen and throw em in the toolbox.

I also noticed these old stock filters at napa are all U.S.A. made. The Ecklers ones are unmarked (foreign crap). The basic difference is the metal crimps on the Ecklers filter aren't as good, and the filter hole tends to have sharp edges that cut the grommmet. BTW, these crappy rubber grommets are only rated to 250F, which is probably why the tear so easy during removal. You could put silicone grommets in, but you'd have to order them, which undoes the convience.

So basically, Ecklers, or their distributor, is just stamping out a bunch of these crappy duplicate filters, (or burning through old inventory) and adding a rubber grommet worth a few cents, and making gaskets that never existed from the factory. And cutting at least $15 in pure profit on each $20 unit sold.
Old 05-17-2005, 01:51 AM
bogus
Team Owner

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Better yet, I will add this tidbit to the C4 Tech FAQ.
Old 05-17-2005, 09:27 AM
CAJUN C4
Safety Car

B&M Remote Transmission Filters (see summit racing)

$27.95
Old 05-17-2005, 09:32 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

When I wrote up my Tech Tip on the filter, I was sort of curious about how long it would take to get the tip out there so I asked in the "Help" section: Tech Tip Posting

Troy has "misplaced" the password to do the tech tip updates

FWIW, the filter kit I ordered from Mid-America (in the pic I posted) did not come with an o-ring and the instructions simply said to reuse the old one. A lot of the auto supply stores carries the "HELP" brand of small items and they are a red colored card with vacuum wrap or plastic cover. The grommet used on the filter might be available from that source.

Grommets like these are typically used for chafing protection for wiring or hoses going thru hole drilled in a metal wall. I would think that they may not be able to withstand a lot of hear or even being around oils.

I wouldn't be suprised that both Eckler's and MAD are using the same filters that similar to the CarQuest filter (in the pics). Neither the MAD or CarQuest filters have any identifying stamps as to where they were made. It would be interesting to see what a Mororcraft filter would have stamped on it!

Of course the savings come from buying the filter locally comes from not having to pay the ridiculous shipping charges from the catalog companies and waiting 5 days for it to arrive.

Think I'm going to run by the local Ford dealer to see what they have for o-rings for the FMX filter. If I find a part number, I'll post it.
Old 05-17-2005, 06:09 PM
1986Z51
Instructor

I did not find a motorcycle filter grommet that would fit (either too big or too small in diameter) and followed up with some Googling. Found a supplier

www.westernrubber.com

and entered the following based on my original grommet measurements:

5/8" inside diameter
1/16" groove width
7/8" groove diameter
1-1/8" outside diameter
5/16" overall thickness

Got a couple of hits, one for a BUNA-N and one for SBR rubber composition and followed up with a phone call to their sales dept. Word is that the BUNA-N rubber is good to 250F and oil resistant where the SBR is not oil resistant. That's what would concern me with using off-the-shelf grommets... Good thing about this place is that there are no minimum buys and lots in stock for $0.79 each. I'm sure that a more exhaustive web search would turn up other suppliers. There might be other higher-temp grommets available of Fluorocarbon/Viton good to 450F but I'm thinking that 250F is good enough.

Anyway, I hate to wait but I'm gonna order some of these.
Old 05-17-2005, 08:16 PM
CentralCoaster
Team Owner

The measurements I provided were taken with dial calipers on the grommet provided by Eckler's. 1/2" ID

Maybe they don't have it right? Although I've used their grommet before.

Last edited by CentralCoaster; 05-17-2005 at 08:22 PM.
Old 05-17-2005, 08:19 PM
CentralCoaster
Team Owner

What is SBR rubber?

If you really want, buy a silicone grommet from Mcmaster Carr. I don't know how they hold up to oil, but heat isn't a problem for them.

I thought the black stuff was butyl rubber.
Old 05-17-2005, 10:53 PM
1986Z51
Instructor

Just checked McMaster Carr, and they have a grommet of the exact same dimensions as the Western Rubber one I found

9307K53
Military Specification Buna-N Rubber Grommet MS 35489 No.17, AN 931 No.10-14, 5/8" ID, 1-1/8" OD

but that size (nor any other 5/8" ID) doesn't come in silicone.

Also found a link describing all the different rubber types

http://www.rubber-group.com/characteristics.html

including SBR and silicone, both rated poor for solvent resistance. Silicone is a surprise to me; It may need to be mixed with some other compound for solvent resistance.

I got the 5/8" I.D. from measuring the grommet I took off, and the filter mounting tube on the O.D. measures at 0.625" where it necks down. If the 1/2" Ecklers piece has a small groove diameter and fits loosely in the filter then it can stretch to fit over the tube. I measured the filter opening to be 7/8" and that's how I sized the groove diameter -- a 1/2" I.D. and 7/8" groove diameter may be too tight to fit on the tube.

I just bought a couple of grommets at Lowe's. One's a 1/2"ID & 31/32"OD and the other is a 5/8"ID & 1-1/8"OD. The 5/8" looks like a direct replacement for the one I took off and the 1/2" looks like a size smaller (and loose in the filter). I'd use the 5/8" and have the car ready for the weekend, only I have no clue what it's made of and likely will swell and split when soaked in ATF. It's a HILLMAN brand rubber grommet, made in China, and no info on the web.

Last edited by 1986Z51; 05-17-2005 at 11:01 PM.
Old 06-27-2005, 11:34 AM
CentralCoaster
Team Owner

bump

I'm looking for a source for a better grommet. This electrical grade rubber turns to mush with the heat and chemicals. It cuts like butter and when it does, the pump will suck air and the overdrive will be non-op.
Old 06-27-2005, 12:08 PM
1986Z51
Instructor

I ordered a dozen of the Buna-N grommets from Western Rubber described in post above. Worked out to be about $20 for 12 with shipping (a little steep...) and took a week to get. Used AMSOIL synthetic ATF (OD shifts great with this stuff so far) and I will know the next fluid change how the grommet held up. Noticed that these grommets don't even "smell" like rubber.

p.s. If you need one quick then PM me and I can put one in the mail.
Old 06-27-2005, 02:03 PM
grapidssteve
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought this filter at carquest after seeing this and they had a grommet as well.

How does the grommet fit into the equation? Does anyone have a picture of this?
Old 06-27-2005, 05:06 PM
CentralCoaster
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 1986Z51
I ordered a dozen of the Buna-N grommets from Western Rubber described in post above. Worked out to be about $20 for 12 with shipping (a little steep...) and took a week to get. Used AMSOIL synthetic ATF (OD shifts great with this stuff so far) and I will know the next fluid change how the grommet held up. Noticed that these grommets don't even "smell" like rubber.

p.s. If you need one quick then PM me and I can put one in the mail.
In the name of research, I'd be glad to! I had one cut before, and I had to drive 100 miles in 4th gear worrying the whole time if my trans was shot.

The filter grommet I originally pulled out of the car was good, wonder if that was a factory one made from different rubber.

Quick Reply: Important 4+3 Tranny Filter Information - Step Inside>>