C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

2/3 lock up gone on 700r4 after shift kit install

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2005, 10:02 PM
bobmic93
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2/3 lock up gone on 700r4 after shift kit install

Whats up with these dam tranny shops. I have a 93 with 3000 stall. Ist guy installs a B&M shift kit after I told him I wanted transgo. Found out this from 2nd tranny shop who wanted to order a new transgo so he could see what 1st guy did with all the springs. Get it back car feels as if it lost performance at part throttle, not as responsive as it was, but the 1/2 shift hits real hard and all the shift are where I like them to be , but and its a duzzy, the 3rd gear doesnt lock up unless I tap the brake just lightly which triggers it to lock up. A noticeable difference when it locks. The pro is installing some switch to remedy me from having to tap the brake which will allow lock up at WOT. Why ? I had lock up before . Car runs extremely rich now and to top it off it has a slow tranny pan leak and the 1/2 shift softened up dramatically. Its now back at his shop. Talked to transgo they said lockup has nothing to do with their kit. Anyone know why I would lose lockup? Could this be causing my car get poor gas milage. My corsa tips turn cake black on short trips. Im totally frustrated.
Old 04-28-2005, 10:14 PM
bobmic93
Melting Slicks

I just read RAMANSTUDs thread which is very similar thread. This sucks Ramon, But I had lock up before. Where did it go?
Old 04-28-2005, 11:51 PM
crheinish
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the very first thing that comes to mind are the ground connections on the drivers side of the trans.
Old 04-29-2005, 01:10 AM
Mo_Bandy
Melting Slicks

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts

It sounds like wiring problems did any connections slip perhaps once you put the pan back on?

Just a thought...

Mo
Old 04-29-2005, 01:58 AM
flyersfan1088
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by bobmic93
but the 1/2 shift hits real hard and all the shift are where I like them to be

the 1/2 shift softened up dramatically.
????????
Firmed up or softened?

Also, you shouldn't have lock-up at WOT, so there's no problem there. As for the rest, I don't know.
Old 04-29-2005, 08:12 AM
JAKE
Le Mans Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Doesn't touching the brake supposed to unlock the converter, NOT lock-it?

What's up with that?

Jake
Old 04-29-2005, 11:19 AM
gbody5
Pro

I know the lock-up feature is controlled by the ECM, but I just want to share what happened with my 85 Olds 442. After I had the B&M shift kit installed, it would not lock-up either. The mechanic that did it used to work for a GM dealer then went into business on his own, I trust him and still go to him for major repairs. He normally only does fluid and filter changes but agreed to do the shift kit, he does not do any tranny rebuilds etc. Anyway, I took it to a local tranny shop (along with the remaining parts of the shift kit since it has more than one option). This shop has been around for years and is subsidised by the city since they provide services to local townships, police, maintenance, and school districts, also provide trainnig for the local vocational schools. They dropped the pan, pulled the valve body and found a spring that was not the right size and replaced it with another one, voila, now I have lock-up. I know this because they handed me the spring that was in there and showed me the difference between it and one they put in to fix it.

I'm not mad at the mechanic who put in the wrong spring, probably just an honest mistake and he still charges me less than his normal hourly rate for services. In fact when I told him what happened he gave me a huge discount on my next service.

Just my experience and .02 cents worth.
Old 04-29-2005, 02:26 PM
crheinish
Burning Brakes

After thinking about this some more I am interested to know why your car is running rich. Have someone hook up a scan tool and verify the computer is goining into closed loop. If it is then I would look at the o2 sensor values, BLMs, etc. The trans locking in fourth only is not a problem in my book. Taping the brakes in 3rd and having the coverter lock is though. Tapping the brakes should cause a unlock condition. Also I would not set the car up to lock at WOT, the converter clutch can not take the abuse and will fail.
Old 04-29-2005, 02:35 PM
crheinish
Burning Brakes

Also if your trans. guy is a Pro, he will have a scan tool. Then you can take your car for a drive will the scan tool is connected and if the ECM is commanding the converter to lock and the converter does not lock then you have verified you have a problem.
Old 04-29-2005, 02:43 PM
bobmic93
Melting Slicks

allright guys, I misinformed you a little. Its opposite what I said about the lock up. You have to tap the brake for a unlock condition. I talked to tranny shop a little bit ago and hes still trying to figure out away to put in a switch that will allow for unlock condition at WOT. Also he thinks my band is wearing out causing the the 1/2 shift to soften up. Tanny has 46000 miles on it.
Old 04-29-2005, 02:48 PM
bobmic93
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by flyersfan1088
????????
Firmed up or softened?

Also, you shouldn't have lock-up at WOT, so there's no problem there. As for the rest, I don't know.
When I first got it back it was very firm, then within a week it softened up alot. Tranny guy thinks its a possible worn band. I should of never messed with the tranny at all.
Old 04-29-2005, 02:55 PM
crheinish
Burning Brakes

OK thanks for the update. What about the scan tool? I have seen you post before about your car running rich, if he has a scan tool now is the time to find the problem.

Get notified of new replies

To 2/3 lock up gone on 700r4 after shift kit install

Quick Reply: 2/3 lock up gone on 700r4 after shift kit install