C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Havent found straight answer! What all to completely upgrade the optispark?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2005, 02:54 PM
A BirdMan Converted
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Havent found straight answer! What all to completely upgrade the optispark?

1996 LT4 (M6) Coupe

Ive been searching this forum for the past couple days and found some good knowledge about my failing Opti-Spark.

BUT

I cant get a single answer on what works with what and replaces what and leaves what?

I want to COMPLETELY replace/upgrade my ignition sysmem.
I am thinking Delteq and or Dynaspark.

Q1:
Does the Delteq still leave the optispark on my car, if so can it be upgraded to dynaspark

Q1a:
What all does delteq replace

Q2:
If i go with Delteq I am assuming that i dont need to replace my plug wires with something like MSD or Equiv.

Q3:
What are you reviews of both

Thank you for your time!
-Kevin
Old 04-27-2005, 03:26 PM
budrog
Cruising

Default Delteq

My Delteq should be arriving shortly.

The kit comes with everything you need, including spark plug wires.

You will leave the opti-spark alone except for taking off the plug wires.

The Delteq receives signals from the low side of the opti-spark to fire the plugs through it's own coils 4, 2 post coils mounted to the driver side rocker cover.

I know that the Delteq is not compatible with capacitor discharge ignition boxes. It should be compatible with the dynaspark since this is an upgraded opti-spark ignition, but I would make sure before I got the Dynaspark.

Basically, the Delteq replaces the secondary part of the opti-spark,the
igniton coil and rotor and it becomes a DIS or Distributorless Ignition
System.

On my 94 LT1, the Tach filter has to be removed as the Delteq supplies
the correct signal and doesn't need a filter.

From all I've seen, the Delteq gets good reviews.

Hope this helps a little.

Last edited by budrog; 04-27-2005 at 03:32 PM.
Old 04-27-2005, 03:31 PM
bogus
Team Owner

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Q1: The delteq (or the LTCC) require that some form of Opti (either GM stock or Dynaspark) remains.

Q1a: the high voltage

Q2: Don't use MSD, use Taylor. I know that the LTCC has a notation regarding the use of MSD wires.

Q3: I have LTCC. It rocks. www.bailey-eng.com

Summary:

The real problems with the opti are high voltage. The cap/rotor degrade (carbon trace) and moisture infiltration. Once coolant gets inside the opti, it causes the bearings to fail, which, in turn, leads to the various SES codes.

This is what I did... installed LTCC and nothing else.

What I should have done? remove the opti and resealed it...

To me, installing the DynaSpark and using a sparkless system is real waste of money.

If you take your existing opti off, confirm the condition of the bearings, remove the cap so you can remove the rotor, RTV the hell out of the cap/body seam, there is no reason why the opti, as an optical pickup, won't last 150k miles. I suggest removing the rotor, mainly, cause it is a boat anchor that can still bite you in the ***.

Delteq, I think it is, has a machined aluminum cap for the opti now.

hope this helps.
Old 04-27-2005, 04:55 PM
rjetrider
Advanced

I have the LTCC great product, and Bogus answered all of the questions.
But, you might consider MSD as they just came out with a replacement for the optispark. After years of us waiting.
Old 04-27-2005, 05:06 PM
redcorvettedave
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

ttt

This answer is just for fun....no offense !!!

BUY A 95 or 96 vette .......oh by bad you've already done that

Last edited by redcorvettedave; 04-27-2005 at 05:08 PM.
Old 04-27-2005, 06:01 PM
Powerdrive
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by rjetrider
But, you might consider MSD as they just came out with a replacement for the optispark. After years of us waiting.
I think MSD only makes a cap and rotor for the opti..... Not a whole new unit...
Old 04-27-2005, 06:14 PM
Redeasysport
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06

I have a New dynaspark on my 93 and could not be happier. It comes with everything you will need to upgrade to cross vent system including a "T". It has elminated my miss and I am impressed by the construction. Yes it cost more than an OEM OPTI but for $35 you can send it back for rebuild vs $225 for a cap and rotor. If you buy the parts( Opti,95 cap,hoses) you will have a minmum $450 tied up in the upgrade( I wasted mine dam mechanic ruined it) plus you get 1 year warranty( GM does not give that) I consider the extra $150 insurance for future failure if it needs rebuilt (still cheaper than cap &rotor).

The problem with delteq and ltcc is they still rely on the opti. If enough water or oil gets inside and rusts or coats the disc your car will not run even with the $600 system. So best of both worlds is Dynaspark+ Delteq. Another issue is unless you run above 6500rpm the benifit of the delteq is limited to the coil firing a little better. Not much bang for the buck IMHO.If your modded it may be worth it but I chose Dynaspark for my stock car.
Old 04-27-2005, 07:12 PM
bogus
Team Owner

Redeasysport - the opti disc should not get wet. period. The only liquid that can reach it is oil. So if the oil seal is good, you should not have any problems. I have seen oil seals fail.

Slathering on a good layer of RTV on the cap/housing seal will keep coolant from getting in. That's the real enemy here.
Old 04-27-2005, 07:32 PM
Redeasysport
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '05-'06

By wet I mean coolant. Yes RTV will help but the bearings go in Optis too I have 2 in my garage with bad bearings.It causes the disc to wobble and it will fail.The wobble will take out the seal.Oil inside is next. My point is it is unreliable as we all know it. Money is better spent on a Dynaspark that addreses most of these issues. Then Delteq when higher RPMs are needed(although Dynaspark says it is good to 6500)
Old 04-27-2005, 09:17 PM
Mr Mojo
Elite Torch Red Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Cental/South NJ Events Coordinator
CI 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12 Vet
CI-II Burnout & Drag Champ
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07

Originally Posted by Redeasysport
plus you get 1 year warranty( GM does not give that)
Unless GM lied, I got a limited lifetime warranty on my entire ignition system. So far I've been back once to get something fixed under warranty.

I too have the LTCC on my other vette, works great as Andy has noted already. I used Magnecor wires.
Old 04-27-2005, 09:31 PM
Redeasysport
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '05-'06

I have never heard of a lifetime warrenty on parts from GM mabey if you had it installed at a dealer there is some kind of warranty on the install. And limited means? Just try and take a 2 yr old opti back for replacement. If this was the case we all would be getting free Optis.
Old 04-27-2005, 10:47 PM
k99ja04
Racer

Most questions have been answered but here's my 2 cents.

I am running the LTCC from Bob Bailey and love it! Consider magnecor wires, they are pricey but they will custom make any lengths you want.

If you go with LTCC / Delteq, don't waste money on Dynaspark. Factory optisparks actually provides excellent timing information, it's just the high voltage aspect that wears / fails. You already have the later vented opti in your '96, that is the only other mod I would consider.

I picked up salvage LS1 coils and made my own brackets, about $600 out the door which is right in line with the Delteq.
Old 04-27-2005, 11:04 PM
A BirdMan Converted
Pro

so correct me if im wrong

I need the Opti checked
if i "have to" replace it my options are
1: OEM - no thanks
2: Dynaspark
3: dynaspark + delteq ( but the 600 extra could be better spent)?

if i dont "have" to replace the opti then ?
--should i go ahead and have the headache upgraded, it's 9YO and i do drive in the rain occasionally (yes my low rider hits puddles(or comparitively RIVERS)..... BADBADBAD!)--

1: Upgrade for later to dynaspark
2: "waste" $600 More and do both Dyna and Delteq

so basically either way upgrade to dynaspark and my problems (those atleast) are solved?????
????and then when i push Mo' Powa' look into Delteq or Equiv.???

Thank you all for your time!
-Kevin
Old 04-27-2005, 11:25 PM
bogus
Team Owner

Lemme try this one more time.

The only reason to change the entire opti out is if it's throwing codes.

I did it this way, Mojo did it the same way... replace the high voltage side with Delteq or LTCC, and wait until the opti throws codes. Installing either system only takes about 5 hours.

As for driving your vette in the rain, BFD. I do it all the time... even in snow. Who cares? It won't melt... and barely rust. Don't fret it. These are cars, they are meant to be driven.

If you are ever upgrading to more power, that means you are upgrading to more RPMs, and you don't want any form of high voltage coming from the opti at that point. You see, the rotors are well known to frag at sustained high RPMs.

Anytime you can remove a distributor spark it's a good think. It's also why I prefer the LTCC system over the DelTeq. I just like 8 coils... This is also why MSD systems do not work on these systems. They would have to produce a coil, then you would have to buy 8 of them, to get MSD to work on an LS1 type system.

The opti is a good machine, as far as timing control is concerned. It is one of the most accurate timing manager available. And, the sensors are very reliable.

I hope this helps you...
Old 04-28-2005, 01:31 AM
k99ja04
Racer

Bogus is 100% correct. My opti was so bad the car would not accelerate and whenever I hit the throttle the car would bog and nearly die. In short, it was not driveable!

So with that in mind, all I did was bolt on the LTCC and the car is COMPLETELY different. I didn't replace by bad opti, I didn't even clean it! (something that's still on my list)

It never threw a code, so the timing sensor was OK. In short, leave your opti as is (maybe clean disc inside) but bolt on LTCC/Delteq and get the high voltage out of there. That is why I suggest not spending money on the Dynaspark, because you really aren't using it.

As upgraded as the Dynaspark sounds, its really just another opti, and the high voltage will likely fail the same way. Spend the money now on LTCC/Delteq and forget "Bandaid solutions".

As bogus said the sensor aspect of the opti is very reliable, and your OEM is probably just fine.

If you go LTCC I can give you pics of my install and answer any wiring questions. Bob Bailey (the guy that built it) also has awesome customer service and will make sure you get it running.

Last edited by k99ja04; 04-28-2005 at 01:37 AM.
Old 04-28-2005, 10:46 AM
Redeasysport
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '05-'06

Youi Delteq guys sure are loyal.I am sure it is a fine product for its purpose.But none of you have addressed the bearing issues with the Opti.You say put Delteq on and WAIT for opti to fail (it will eventaully). I have 2 of them in my garage one 93 one 95, one that was in my car and ran OK except fo a little miss,and the shafts on both wobble. This can't be a good thing in the long run.It seems you suggest fixing it from the top down IMHO not from the bottom up. There are plenty of failed optis from 95&up that threw codes so the venting is not the end all to proctecting the optical pickup. I will stand by my analysis the weakest link in the ignition system IS the WHOLE opti not just the high volt side although it usually goes first.Would I like to have a Delteq sure why not, do I want to depend on a OEM opti to run it I'd rather not. Just my .02
Old 04-28-2005, 01:36 PM
R23HTC
Le Mans Master

Received 182 Likes on 122 Posts

I went through 3 NEW OEM optis in 10,000 miles after my rebuild. I've had 1 Dynaspark on there since with absolutely NO PROBLEMS out of it. The OEM ones may be cheaper, but considering all the labor involved I got tired of replacing them (2 under warranty). I'm in the process of rebuilding the upper end again and just took off the Dynaspark last week. Other than some of the Red fading from the rear section, it appears as new as it was when installed.

Get notified of new replies

To Havent found straight answer! What all to completely upgrade the optispark?

Old 04-28-2005, 01:42 PM
k99ja04
Racer

I agree the opti as a whole could have been better thought out.

If you're worried about bearings in an opti, go LTCC/Delteq and remove the rotor from inside the opti. I'm sure the bearings will be just fine spinng just the disc alone.
Old 04-28-2005, 01:45 PM
R23HTC
Le Mans Master

Received 182 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by k99ja04
I agree the opti as a whole could have been better thought out.

If you're worried about bearings in an opti, go LTCC/Delteq and remove the rotor from inside the opti. I'm sure the bearings will be just fine spinng just the disc alone.
I hate to be technical, but the stock opti doesn't have a bearing. It has a brass bushing which is part of it's problem. The DynaSpark replaces that with a ball bearing.
Old 04-28-2005, 01:47 PM
FoolCrzy
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by R94 LT 1
I went through 3 NEW OEM optis in 10,000 miles after my rebuild. I've had 1 Dynaspark on there since with absolutely NO PROBLEMS out of it. The OEM ones may be cheaper, but considering all the labor involved I got tired of replacing them (2 under warranty). I'm in the process of rebuilding the upper end again and just took off the Dynaspark last week. Other than some of the Red fading from the rear section, it appears as new as it was when installed.
David, Nice to see someone else in the Cincy area. Any interest in drag racing? There are a couple of us who go occaisionally...

Quick Reply: Havent found straight answer! What all to completely upgrade the optispark?