C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

ASR Removal?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2005, 12:33 PM
Perfusion
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default ASR Removal?

I'm almost ashamed to ask this, but....here goes.

I have the 2 Helms service manuals, and for the *life* of me, I can't just find the simple information on how to remove the ASR! The books only seem to refer to it as the TCS (traction control sys.), and lumps it in with the ABS stuff. I see how to take the cover off (single bolt), and I can read how to troubleshoot it, but basically I just want to unbolt it from wherever it's being anchored, push it aside, and install a bracket between my alternator and a header bolt. I imagine having the ASR out of the way would make this easier...

Thanks in advance...
Old 04-25-2005, 02:15 PM
bogus
Team Owner

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

it isn't easy to remove that stupid thing.

it is mounted to the inner fender, but some of the bolts that hold the inner fender cover in place. just keep removing bolts and it will fall free enought that you can then bungie it out of the way.
Old 04-25-2005, 03:34 PM
ScaryFast
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I just pulled mine off my 93. I had to make a new throttle cable, as the stock cable goes through that module so that it can kick the pedal back at you when it engages. Additionally, I had to move the pedal up because with the new cable the gas pedal was almost on the floor. I might have been able to avoid that had I measured more precisely, but there's no way to tell.

Your pedal might feel a little different, also, because there's a spring in that module which gives it more effort. It doesn't bother me, but I notice a difference.

Lastly, I also disconnected my ABS when I did it to try it out on the track without. I've decided to reactivate the ABS and it's a beeatch trying to determine which of the 1000 wires I cut were necessary...

Take your time our you could have some problems.
Old 04-25-2005, 03:59 PM
Perfusion
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bogus
it isn't easy to remove that stupid thing.

it is mounted to the inner fender, but some of the bolts that hold the inner fender cover in place. just keep removing bolts and it will fall free enought that you can then bungie it out of the way.
So I just found out! I decided to just go start removing s**t...first a couple fender bolts came off, then all of 'em, and then I finally noticed the little black support brace that holds it up from the other side. Once I got all those off, it was easily slid to the side so I could complete my A/C bracket addition for my headers.

Thanks to both of you for your input!
Old 04-25-2005, 10:20 PM
tkrussell
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A throttle cable from a Camaro LT1 will fit to replace the ASR throttle cables.

Get notified of new replies

To ASR Removal?

Quick Reply: ASR Removal?