C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

'92 Transmission Question (need to replace, but what do i replace with?)

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2005, 07:18 PM
Togo
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default '92 Transmission Question (need to replace, but what do i replace with?)

First off, i was looking at Hughes Transmissions at Sallee Chevrolet and they show the 4L60 and the 4L60E as being a TH700R4 - what exactly does this mean? does that mean they are essentially the same?

ok, say they are - now, what did they put in the '92? 4L60 or 4L60E?
how do i verify what's in the car now (without removing the trans)

i checked raptors and they are pretty pricey - i'm looking for something for a stock daily driver and wish NO upgrades on this car - trust me, if i upgrade the car, it will wind up on blocks in the garage for years!

anybody got any suggestions for a tranny?
Old 04-19-2005, 07:28 PM
CFI-EFI
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

700R4 and 4L60 are two different names for the same transmission. The 4L60E is an electronic, computer controlled version of the same thing. They are not readily interchangeable due to the computer and all the wiring involved. Your 1992 came the 700R4/4L60. Which ever you prefer to call it. The 700R4 is the older name. By 1992 the designation was officially, 4L60.

RACE ON!!!
Old 04-19-2005, 07:51 PM
fsr402
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06

If you are just looking for a "new" tranny and don't want any upgrades, I would just have your stock one rebuilt. It will be the cheaper way to go.
Old 04-19-2005, 09:18 PM
Ramrod92
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In II Veteran

Are you going to be cranking up the power? This is what my 396 did to a rebuilt 4L60. The tranny guy who built it knew what it was going in so it didn't cost me for the second rebuild(this time with some tougher parts)
Old 04-19-2005, 11:54 PM
bogus
Team Owner

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

I hate it when planetaries frag...

I would replace the auto with a ZF6spd, but that's me.
Old 04-22-2005, 07:25 PM
Togo
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

ZF6 is NOT an option.
i want as little down time with this car as possible, and reliability is a must, co NO go fast upgrades are going on - this will simply be a DD until it breaks!
i contacted Hughes for their trannys and they want 1659 plus 335 for a 2500 stall (no core charges) (warranty unknown)

i contacted checker (or schucks/kragen) and they said for their "street pro" rebuilt it is 1289 plus 350 core 18mo, 18k warranty

anybody know where else to look?
i need the transmission "when i need it" so if i have to order, it will ave to be early next week some time, as my "mechanic" is available the following weekend!
Old 04-23-2005, 09:05 AM
Aquatic
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I need to get a new tranny to and was looking at mad dogs transmissions. Seems to have the best prices and heard good things about them. I just need a stock rebuild as I too have no mods.
http://www.maddog-transmissions.com/
Old 04-23-2005, 09:44 PM
Togo
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

ok, well i read further on the raptors - and see that have level 2, 3, and 4 transmissions - i have no idea what that means, but i was thinking to be safe, the level 3 - it's about$1800 NO TAX and FREE FREIGHT!
and then there is the raptor jr. which is their level 2 and it's $1450 - with a $50 addition for the CORVETTE case with aluminum bolt on dust cover type case (WTF is that?)

also, will the spline of the input shaft make a difference to me, or does that only make a difference if they weren't going to add a torque converter?

then Bryan Seery suggested bowtieoverdrives and their level 2 is $1050

my only problem is that i MUST HAVE this transmission in my posession by friday - as my mechanic get's the car this saturday.

so my "backup" is to get a hughes transmission, as they are local and have the tranny IN STOCK and ready to go!

has anybody else dealt with bowtieoverdrives or the company that makes the raptor???????????

HELP!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-23-2005, 09:51 PM
Pete K
Race Director

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

"I" would never spend over 1k with anyone who was not close enough to kick there *** if I had major problems. Consider having a local shop with a great reputation build your unit. I have heard many horror stories about "reputable" mail order companies. Everyone makes mistakes. When a mistake is made and it cost 200 bucks to ship each way, your heartburn will flare up for sure. Just my .02
Old 04-24-2005, 03:47 PM
Togo
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

sounds like decent advice, but i was referred to a shop to have the tranny in my truck rebuilt and 100 miles after the warranty expired, the transmission started slipping so bad that i had to buy another transmission - and went with a GM factory rebuild! however, it looks like GM discontinued the 4L60!
so i wouldn't trust any shop for a rebuild in town - i'd prefer to get something with a much longer warranty than most rebuild shops offer.

the GM tranny in my truck came with a 36/36 warranty

COME ON guys! 9 responses and 1/3 of them are mine!
Old 04-24-2005, 06:39 PM
fsr402
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by 85_togo

COME ON guys! 9 responses and 1/3 of them are mine!
Sorry man but you say that you want a "stock" type built tranny. And now you're talking about getting a built stage 3? With a 2800 stall?
I would never put a 2800 in front of a stock 700R4, they are just not strong enough to handle the "snap" of that high stall.

I still say that you need to be looking for someone close enough to give the car to him to rebuild. I would never buy one of thse mail order crap trannys. Just my $.02
Old 04-24-2005, 09:27 PM
Togo
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by fsr402
Sorry man but you say that you want a "stock" type built tranny. And now you're talking about getting a built stage 3? With a 2800 stall?
I would never put a 2800 in front of a stock 700R4, they are just not strong enough to handle the "snap" of that high stall.

I still say that you need to be looking for someone close enough to give the car to him to rebuild. I would never buy one of thse mail order crap trannys. Just my $.02
so if a 2800 stall is too much for stock tranny, what IS the stock converter?

also WTF is a stage 3? i'm not talking about buying anything, i'm simply passing on the information i have gotten on the web.
Old 04-25-2005, 02:26 PM
Togo
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

alright fine - i'm goin local!
i'll give more details as well as a "review" when it's complete!
i was referred to this place by XTREME, so we'll see how it turns out!
they are not only going to build me a "new" one, but they are also going to install it as well!
and they said the build i'll be getting is considered a "stage 2" or "level 2" or whatever!

so like mentioned previously, they're close enough to kick their @$$ if necessary!

so my last question is this - do i buy into their 2 or 3 year warranty at additional cost? or should i just ave my money?!?!?!?!?!?!?!
Old 04-25-2005, 06:19 PM
Pete K
Race Director

alright fine - i'm goin local!
i'll give more details as well as a "review" when it's complete!
i was referred to this place by XTREME, so we'll see how it turns out!
they are not only going to build me a "new" one, but they are also going to install it as well!
and they said the build i'll be getting is considered a "stage 2" or "level 2" or whatever!

so like mentioned previously, they're close enough to kick their @$$ if necessary!

so my last question is this - do i buy into their 2 or 3 year warranty at additional cost? or should i just ave my money?!?!?!?!?!?!?!
Weigh the costs regarding extended warrantee. Some are reasonably priced and well worth it. Most are not. Rather than worry about certain "stages" I would concern myself with quality parts based on your needs. You do not need much to hold stock hp and torque levels. I just built one for an f-body making 600 ft lbs of torque with minimal mods. So far so good. If you would like some advise on which stuff to upgrade, just ask. Myself and others will be happy to share.
Old 04-25-2005, 06:28 PM
Togo
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

they said they will put in a shift kit, and upgrade the clutches - and the rebuild and installation is $ 1495 - the warranty is 1 year, the extended is 2 years for 275, 3 years 375, 4 years, 475

what should be upgraded for a decent street transmission so i make sure to ask correctly tomorrow - they said they are going to start working on the new tranny today!
i don't need a stage 2 or 3, but it would be nice to know it's there if i do decided to start modifying the internals and adding go-fast parts!
Old 04-25-2005, 07:11 PM
Pete K
Race Director

they said they will put in a shift kit, and upgrade the clutches - and the rebuild and installation is $ 1495 - the warranty is 1 year, the extended is 2 years for 275, 3 years 375, 4 years, 475

what should be upgraded for a decent street transmission so i make sure to ask correctly tomorrow - they said they are going to start working on the new tranny today!
i don't need a stage 2 or 3, but it would be nice to know it's there if i do decided to start modifying the internals and adding go-fast parts!
The 1 part "I" consider a must is a heavy duty reaction shell. Otherwise known as "the beast" Stock reaction shells have been know to often fail in 6 cyl blazers and other low hp vehicles. If you have an 85 trans, have them rob the 88 and up style roller clutch and foward sprag. New units are not nescessary. Simply put new elements in the used parts. Also 85's had a 7 vane pump. Rob a 10 vane unit (guts)from a used pump and add new vanes to it. These are always laying around in a well stocked trans shop. This would add $150 to the bill if I were doing it. Shift kit is a good idea. Match the 3/4 clutches to the power levels you are making. Low power cars can use up to 9 clutches and 9 steels in the 3/4 pack. I have had good luck with regular paper clutches. Have not needed blue or red clutches yet. Put a new tv spring in. They cost $6. A shortened tv link is a good Idea too. This allows proper adjustment if the cable has stretch.
Old 04-25-2005, 07:23 PM
CFI-EFI
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Do they know it's for a Corvette? Even stock, level 0, the Corvette has internals and features that no other vehicle shares. You want a level 2, CORVETTE transmission.

RACE ON!!!

Get notified of new replies

To '92 Transmission Question (need to replace, but what do i replace with?)

Old 04-26-2005, 12:12 AM
Togo
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

they know it's a corvette, and it's not an 85, it's a 92 - and they have also been informed of that as well

so, level 2 it is!

so thanks guys (pete, and cfi)

hey pete - in a level 2 transmission rebuild, all those things you mentioned, should probably be standard, should they not?
Old 04-26-2005, 01:29 PM
crheinish
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rebuilt trans. = junk. Get a trans from GM.
Old 04-26-2005, 02:43 PM
Pete K
Race Director

they know it's a corvette, and it's not an 85, it's a 92 - and they have also been informed of that as well

so, level 2 it is!

so thanks guys (pete, and cfi)

hey pete - in a level 2 transmission rebuild, all those things you mentioned, should probably be standard, should they not?
You are correct. Most of the items mentioned are in a typical "stage 2" trans. The 88 and up models are better to start with due to the better pump, lo-roller clutch and foward sprag. Valve bodies are slightly better also. A 92 is a good year to build. Good luck and post the good results.

Quick Reply: '92 Transmission Question (need to replace, but what do i replace with?)