C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Targa Top Problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2005, 01:25 AM
VQT88Vette
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Targa Top Problem

Start noticing air noise while driving lately, then saw the right rear top moved up with a cross wind . Took the top off to see what wrong, the right rear of my Targa Top is not glue to the frame any more. The glass part is separted from the frame at the right rear corner, I can see the rubber/silicon bead that suppose to glue to the frame of the top.
Has any one has this problem and fixed it?
Is it possible to separate the glass top from the frame to fix it correctly? Or just try to put silicon in the part that separate?
What is the best way to glue it back?
What type of glue is best for this?
No, I don't have $800 to buy another top.
Old 04-17-2005, 01:50 AM
vinnies87
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07

Take it to a glass shop, they should be able to glue it back in place
Old 04-17-2005, 02:25 PM
VQT88Vette
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by vinnies87
Take it to a glass shop, they should be able to glue it back in place
Vinnies,

Can you recommend a glass shop? I don't trust any shop in the south west of Las Vegas.

Last edited by VQT88Vette; 04-17-2005 at 02:29 PM.
Old 04-17-2005, 04:09 PM
tommelton
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My 86 was separating at the left front corner. I re-sealed it using urethane, and it separated again. I just recently completely removed the plastic paned from the frame, cleaned it all, removed most of the old urethane, and re-attached the top using new urethane. Cost about $15.

So far, so good.

Tom Melton
82 CE
86 Z51 Coupe
Old 04-17-2005, 05:03 PM
JCAIRE2
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The factory adhesive is made by fusor corporation. Go to their website and find a local distributor and call the distributor. They can point you in the direction of a local body or glass shop that uses their products. I had mine rebonded two years ago and it still holds up. Even after two years in the TX summer sun.
Old 04-17-2005, 07:00 PM
VQT88Vette
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by tommelton
My 86 was separating at the left front corner. I re-sealed it using urethane, and it separated again. I just recently completely removed the plastic paned from the frame, cleaned it all, removed most of the old urethane, and re-attached the top using new urethane. Cost about $15.

So far, so good.

Tom Melton
82 CE
86 Z51 Coupe
Tom,
So there is a way to separate the glass formt the metal frame? What and where I can get this urethane?
Thanks,
Old 04-17-2005, 07:03 PM
VQT88Vette
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by JCAIRE2
The factory adhesive is made by fusor corporation. Go to their website and find a local distributor and call the distributor. They can point you in the direction of a local body or glass shop that uses their products. I had mine rebonded two years ago and it still holds up. Even after two years in the TX summer sun.
I like to fix this myself first if I can buy their adhesive. This can't be any harder than pull the engine and put it back, does it.
Old 04-17-2005, 11:19 PM
JCAIRE2
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by VQT88Vette
I like to fix this myself first if I can buy their adhesive. This can't be any harder than pull the engine and put it back, does it.

I wanted to do it myself as well. If you don't mind throwing $200 at tools and supplies you'll most likely never use again, then by all means have a go at it. The adhesive is ~$45 for a tube and you need 2 tubes. The adhesion promoting primer is ~$45 for a small can, you have to paint both surfaces to be bonded, both the frame and the acrylic panel. And the special gun for the adhesive is ~$85.

You also have to remove all of the original adhesive and primer, then you re-prime the surfaces and lay your bead of adhesive. I got mine done for $100 out the door. I seperated the frame and panel myself and let the shop clean them. I dropped them off in the morning and picked them up in the afternoon. I let the panel cure overnight off the car and installed it the next morning. Has been fine since.
Old 04-18-2005, 11:29 AM
VQT88Vette
Melting Slicks

JCAIRE2

Thank you for reminding me about tools. I guess its time to look for a glass shop to fix this.
How do you separate the frame and the panel? All I can see is the adhesive that attach the glass to the frame.

Thanks,
Old 04-18-2005, 02:27 PM
JCAIRE2
Le Mans Master

You need a piece of small diameter wire to saw through the adhesive around the perimter. I used a fishing line leader and it worked perfectly.

Get notified of new replies

To Targa Top Problem

Quick Reply: Targa Top Problem